Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my Renegade is almost of 5,000 miles, should I take it to the Dealer or is it okay if I use OilStop to change my oil. I have been going to them for OilChanges and everything for ever and wanted to know if there is anything special the dealership would do that the OilStop would not

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey guys my Renegade is almost of 5,000 miles, should I take it to the Dealer or is it okay if I use OilStop to change my oil. I have been going to them for OilChanges and everything for ever and wanted to know if there is anything special the dealership would do that the OilStop would not
If it's a TH, remember that there is a skid plate that needs to be taken off properly. And, remember it's full synthetic oil. Most places charge a ridiculous amount to change synthetic.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hmm yea they have replaced oil with skid plates before I like them because they refill all fluids and everything else all for around 100$
A lot of people will opt to do it themselves because the fluids themselves can be found for around $20/change, and because it is an industry where many lube centers have horribly low standards.

This is a personal decision though. If you're comfortable and satisfied with value of the services you receive, go for it.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I recently changed my oil myself (just because I had some free time and I won't have to do it again until spring). I'd much rather do it myself than take it to the dealer or an oil change place.

·
Registered
181 Posts
When and where is more of a personal decision. My main point to everyone is make sure they use the right oil.
The oil spec'ed for the Reney is not "day to day" oil. While I wouldn't foresee any major issues if someone uses 5w20 by accident or last resort, the 0-20w spec is not readily available, and not using it could effect the warranty.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
My dealership gave me the first oil change for free. But I'll pass. The rookie techs are the ones that get to do the oil changes and tire changes. Their skill may not be up to my standards. The experienced techs are usually doing bigger jobs or repairs that a rookie just won't have the knowledge required.

How many techs will actually use a torque wrench on the oil drain bolt or the skid plate bolts? And how many will take the time to wipe off any splashed oil from the bottom of the engine? Not many I don't think when they have to get X number of cars done on their shift.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My dealership gave me the first oil change for free. But I'll pass. The rookie techs are the ones that get to do the oil changes and tire changes. Their skill may not be up to my standards. The experienced techs are usually doing bigger jobs or repairs that a rookie just won't have the knowledge required.

How many techs will actually use a torque wrench on the oil drain bolt or the skid plate bolts? And how many will take the time to wipe off any splashed oil from the bottom of the engine? Not many I don't think when they have to get X number of cars done on their shift.
This may be, but there is better oversight, instruction, and supervision for the apprentices at a dealership than at a quick-lube joint where managers and supervisors may not care as much since it is not their branded vehicle they are working on. Quick-lube places just want to get you out the door as fast they can and don't mind if quality suffers. Dealerships have no problem taking their time to do it right. My brother who is an automotive mechanic and has worked in both types of places has seen this first-hand.

Generally, the newer mechanics/techs at a dealership are more and better trained than newer techs at a quick-lube place. But this is generally speaking - there are always exceptions. So always go to whom you trust whether it's a dealership, quick-lube place, yourself, or just a local mechanic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is not necessary that you should visit to dealers only for oil change. You can get it done from any authorized Auto repair shop. I also have Jeep with me and my daily travelling is about 300 miles. In between 8,000 to 10,000 miles it requires service and I am very punctual on it. I like service of YourMechanic/Auto Repair (https://www.yourmechanic.com) as they have professional mechanics at their door and they are dealing with different types of cars and Jeep is also one of them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use a 0w-20 good for 25k miles but I change at 20k due to mostly highway and not towing yet. My filter is a Eao good for 15k due to size.

I will never use the 0w temp range due to me in the south but its very nice on my MPG.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.