Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Depending on your driving, city vs hwy, I would agree that 5,000 is a good number for oil changes. I am at 1200 now and most of my driving is city, so I will probably change at 5000 or annually, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'll likely change mine at 3,000 mile intervals. It might be overkill, but I like fresh and clean oil in my cars. I have about 800 miles to go before my first change.

My Dodge uses synthetic oil and I change that at 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I call Jeep customers service and ask they told me is not ready to change till the notify show up if I change my self I'm worry about void the warranty.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine is just about to hit 5000 miles and still not signal. I have an appointment Monday to get it done because I am leery after 5000. I will ask what they recommend then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just hit 3000 and have yet to see a light signaling to get it changed. How long should I wait?

No harm in changing the factory fill out early. Probably won't make a difference either way. Oil life monitors have been around for over a decade and have been doing a fine job.

Change it when it tells you to and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
No harm in changing the factory fill out early. Probably won't make a difference either way. Oil life monitors have been around for over a decade and have been doing a fine job.

Change it when it tells you to and you'll be fine.
With fully synthetic, I figured I would change at 5k regardless being the first change and then go from there with the light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
With fully synthetic, I figured I would change at 5k regardless being the first change and then go from there with the light.
Sounds like a solid plan! Just make sure that the brand you use holds the certification. Some brands like mobil, etc do not. There are a bunch that do, I believe any of the Pennzoil/Quakerstate/Shell brands are good. With a quality filter, it will last longer than you will care to keep it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I used to work on advertising for Pennzoil and have had many conversations with their chief engineer. Unless driven in extremely harsh conditions, modern motor oil formulations are good for over 5,000 miles. Even longer with synthetic. If you change sooner and more frequently, you are just throwing money away.

The owner's manual has no coverage on service intervals? I find that surprising.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
From the manual:

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE
Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate in the instrument cluster. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow and extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures will influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required” message is displayed.

Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).
Your authorized dealer will reset the oil change indicator message after completing the scheduled oil change. If a scheduled oil change is performed by someone other than your authorized dealer, the message can be reset by referring to the steps described under “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)/Driver Information Display (DID)” in “Getting To Know Your Instrument Panel” for further information.
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or one year, whichever comes first.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
I used to work on advertising for Pennzoil and have had many conversations with their chief engineer. Unless driven in extremely harsh conditions, modern motor oil formulations are good for over 5,000 miles. Even longer with synthetic. If you change sooner and more frequently, you are just throwing money away.

The owner's manual has no coverage on service intervals? I find that surprising.
It says the interval is when the light goes off unless operating it under harsh conditions.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.