Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a oil change at 500 miles but left the counter alone. Did its first INDICATED oil change today at 8369 miles. 4 qt Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 with mopar filter cartridge. Black oil color. Rest oil indicator. Sent off a Blackstone UOA sample. Will post PDF report in a week. Should be interesting.

Is there a engine model number other than "1.4L FIRE"?

Reactions: Gaz

·
Registered
356 Posts
JFS, how much spillage ws there from the oil filter canister when you removed it? I see there's a sort of catch ring around it, but I assume it'd be a good idea to stuff a rag in underneath.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Very interested to see that oil analysis report.
I'll get it posted as I get it.

Planning a DIYS change at 5K. Was it easy for oil and filter change doing it yourself?
Very easy. You can get underneath without ramps for the drain bolt. For the cap and filter, I used a 1-and-1/16" socket with extensions for the cap. You can reach the cap by hand, but the air duct takes up alot of space and makes it tough. BE very careful if you make space by removing the lid and disconnecting its emission connectors. They break very easily. But the extra 3 minutes made it easier and cleaner to manage oily cap. Note where the new o-ring goes on the cap.

JFS, how much spillage ws there from the oil filter canister when you removed it? I see there's a sort of catch ring around it, but I assume it'd be a good idea to stuff a rag in underneath.
Rag is good idea. About a teaspoon amount sits in the base but you wind up dragging it out when you pull the cap and cartridge out and onto the rag. Try to be gracefull about it. Here's where having the air duct a little out of the way helps.

OVERALL, the worst part was working around that darned air duct. FIAT has made it pure misery to work around. We've got to figure out a good way to be able to pull that lid and duct out without such a hassle. Time for a mod!

HTH

·
Registered
356 Posts

OVERALL, the worst part was working around that darned air duct. FIAT has made it pure misery to work around. We've got to figure out a good way to be able to pull that lid and duct out without such a hassle. Time for a mod!

HTH
Try doing a filter changed on a Suzuki SX/4 sometime...not only is it nearly impossible to get at, it's a spin-on filter mounted horizonally to the front (side) of the engine block, almost underneath the exhaust manifold. You cannot avoid dumping dirty oil down the side of the block as you spin off the filter. My GV is little better, the only real difference is it's filter has a bit more room around it (but you have to go at it from underneath, or remove a front wheel and go through the wheel well). The 1.4T filter change looks like a cakewalk in comparison.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
IIRC, doesn't that ancient Spitfire engine got a sideways spin-on as well?

I wonder if there's a remote oil filter kit available yet for the Renegade.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Changing the oil in the Abarth was interesting to say the least. There are 3 ways to do it and non of them are as fun as stubbing your big toe on the edge of a door. Fiat definitly got it wrong in that department. However, this version of the engine in the Renegades has different turbo/airbox piping and more space under the hood which allows for much easier access. Definitely a cakewalk in comparison. I'm sorry you have to deal with that SX4 @Spitfire. I've seen that misery unfold in an AutoZone parking lot.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reading you all's replies and recalling some old misery too, I now gotta say...

I like the Renegade. I think oil changes are fun. :)

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I done an oil change on a diesel engined Mercedes and I was told that the oil drain plug was a long one. So I start to unscrew the drain plug and found out that it was a short plug when the oil came pouring down my sleeve and over my hair. The others were creased with laughter. The joys of an apprentice!

So all changes are fun, if you happen to be watching someone else.

·
Registered
356 Posts
IIRC, doesn't that ancient Spitfire engine got a sideways spin-on as well?

I wonder if there's a remote oil filter kit available yet for the Renegade.
Spitfire oil filter sticks out and up and a 45 degree angle--pretty much as bad as it gets. But it's right there, easy to access, easy to get a rag under it, and it's on the opposite side of the block from the exhaust and intake manifolds. So, no real complaints--hey, it's British :)

I'm in the process of sourcing a filter relocation kit for my wife's SX/4. Such a great car, but changing the oil takes far longer than it should because of the filter access.

Kevin, I had a Dodge diesel truck for years. Industrial engine designed with maintenance in mind; the filter was mounted high on the side of the engine, and positioned vertically so that you could spin it off without spilling any oil. And you only had to spin the plug partway out to drain the oil--no reason to remove it completely. Really, I'd love to see passenger cars built like that.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi. First oil change at about 8K with Analysis above. This is the second oil change at 16k with the second Analysis. I'll be changing oil when the monitor indicates its due, not at 10K (for warranty purposes). Interesting comments.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Technical correction: First oil change was at 500 miles, second at 8,369 with analysis, third at 16,563 with latest analysis seen above.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.