Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a brand new 2020 Trailhawk with the 1.3L turbo. I've been a member of the Wrangler and Gladiator forum for a while as I also own both models. One of the things I've learned from forums is that, happy people seldom complain or post :) Another thing I've learned is that those who have issues seldom mention the Year, model, engine, trim level of the vehicle they are having trouble with. When tracking problems I've found that information helpful to new owners. So having said that, which engines see the issues with oil consumption? From what I've seen it seems to be the 2.4. Am I wrong in that assumption? Has the issue increased or decreased by model year? This might be a good thread to gather some statistics to see if the issue is getting better or worse. Please include year and engine type. Maybe we will see an improvement.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
2015 Latitude w/2.4L, 86,700 miles, consumes about 1/2 - 3/4 quart every 5000-6000 miles. I have the oil changed at 6000 mile intervals, today in fact.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2019 Renegade Sport 4x4 with the 2.4, just approaching 6000 total miles, so far no noticable amount of oil consumption. I was checking oil every couple days when I first got it, now I check it once every couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Actually you do seem to complain a lot about people not using the search function (which is nearly useless unless you know EXACTLY what to search for).
George, complaining about faults, minor or otherwise is certainly not a common trait that I exhibit. My Renegade runs fine and if I have an issue that I couldn't find answered on the forum from a "search" then I have no qualms about asking the forum members for their personal advice. Search first, ask later is an option open to us all.

Instructing people to use the "search function" is not complaining but merely offering directional advice as to where their questions may have been previously been answered. This saves time and effort from having to repeat the same answers time and time again. I am so glad that there are many mechanics on the forum that can offer almost expert advice yet I fear that they too are bored with the repetitive complaining as opposed to the enquiries that are posted in a positive manner. Do you not agree?

In relation to your comment about not knowing what to search for is indicative that one is not sure EXACTLY (your words) of what their symptoms of a fault are in the first instance. Why then complain if you don't know what you are complaining about?

Cars have faults, some people consider them minor irritants yet others see it as a major catastrophe. Only the owner can decide what to live with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We've had our 1.3 since Memorial Day last year. Coming up on 18,000 miles. I'm changing the oil at 5000 mile intervals, OEM filter. We're using next to no oil in 5000 miles, can barely see any change on the stick from the time of putting new oil in and the 5K oil change. Really like the 1.3. It has lots of low end power, and it does great offroad as a result. It spends most of it's time between 2500-3500 RPM rather than the 2.4 which sees a lot more RPM. We take the 2.4 Trailhawks on trade at the dealership I work at, so I've driven several of them. Just had a 2017 in here 2 weeks ago, even matching color to ours and did a side by side comparison. The 1.3L has more low end, and is easier to drive around town. It's quieter, less "busy" around town, and it works better offroad. It's a very good match for the chassis.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Is a possible issue that Jeep owners experience is the expectance of a super car for driving around Town?

Here in the UK most Jeeps climb a high kerb of 100mm in the belief that is "off road". Yeah, off road as in parked up the pavement to allow the school kids to exit the "truck" :love:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up a brand new 2020 Trailhawk with the 1.3L turbo. I've been a member of the Wrangler and Gladiator forum for a while as I also own both models. One of the things I've learned from forums is that, happy people seldom complain or post :) Another thing I've learned is that those who have issues seldom mention the Year, model, engine, trim level of the vehicle they are having trouble with. When tracking problems I've found that information helpful to new owners. So having said that, which engines see the issues with oil consumption? From what I've seen it seems to be the 2.4. Am I wrong in that assumption? Has the issue increased or decreased by model year? This might be a good thread to gather some statistics to see if the issue is getting better or worse. Please include year and engine type. Maybe we will see an improvement.
I have owned my '16 Trailhawk for a year, driven 25K miles on highways, surface streets, dirt roads and trails w/ zero issues . . . .

·
Registered
303 Posts
2018 2.4 Litre with 13,000 miles, used a quart by 3000 miles, but no problem since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do not have one of these Renegades but there is a class action suit for oil consumption. It appears to be much worse in the 2.4L Version vs the 1.4L Turbocharged engine. I have rebuilt foreign and domestic engines and found out that the valve guide seals are failing in these engines and due to this the resale value is falling like a rock. So, I agree it is important to mention the engine size and configuration as well as the transmission. Interesting note on the Nissans. The transmission tube has a cap and seal on it and if opened voids the warranty.(You cannot check your own transmission fluid level) My sister has one of these vehicles and I checked the coolant and found transmission fluid in the radiator. Long story short, the dealership had to put a new engine and transmission in the vehicle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts