Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noted any engine oil consumption in their Renegade 2.4 engine?

When my car was delivered it had 190 miles, part of that was because my local dealer didn't have the color we wanted so they picked it up from another dealer. Anyway the oil level was about 1/2 between full and add marks. Maybe the engine wasn't filled at the factory? I added enough oil to bring it to the full mark.

The car now has 2800 miles, I have checked the oil several times since it was filled, yesterday I noticed it was about 1/3 down from the fill mark.

I realize that isn't a big problem but I haven't experienced that much oil use on my last several new vehicles. I also realize the oil consumption may decrease after break-in.

That said, I know most new cars now require very little or no break-in miles.

Clifton

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
When I got my 2013 Scenic diesel, I was told not to go over 3,000 rpm for the first 1,000 miles. In 22,500 miles the car has used approx 500 millilitres of oil. Some new cars use more oil than others. Audi did have a problem with some of their engines using oil.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Yes some oil consumption is to be expected during the first few thousand miles this is normal. My Trailhawk used about 3/4 qt within the first 2,000 miles".

Thanks for your reply. During the past 12 years I have owned 2 Mazda's, a Toyota Tacoma, and a Honda Fit. Their manuals may have said some oil use is expected, but none of them needed oil added during break-in. I know some vehicles I owned many years ago did use some oil during break-in. Maybe I have been lucky since 2002.

Clifton

·
Registered
181 Posts
Has anyone noted any engine oil consumption in their Renegade 2.4 engine?
Minor oil consumption would be normal.
I guess my first question would be, when are you checking it.
If you check it cold, first thing in the morning, the level would be higher then if you check it when you arrive home from a drive.
Basically, in the morning oil will drain down to the pan, raising the level.
After a drive, the block will be full of oil and the pan level would be lower.
Make sure you're checking it the same way each time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just bought mine today. Checked oil about 3 hours after I arrived home, right to the top of the hash marks, 140 miles on it (110 are mine). I'll keep checking regularly during break in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dealership wants to do an oil consumption test? At 6400km, took it to the dealership because hubby checked the oil and it was super low. Dealership took a look at it and suggested that I get an "oil consumption test". They topped up the oil and ask that I bring it back to them after 1000km.

Is this a situation that others have had done?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I checked mine looked to be about a quart and half low dealer ship told me that is in normal spec when I asked for that in writing they refused and told me to go buy and add it if I think it is low and that if the engine is damaged because of low oil that would be my fault and not covered under warranty. 6000 miles eats a quart and half of oil at $10 a quart is "normal"? I so can not wait for my lemon law case to be finished.This may turn me away from all Jeep/Fiat products if there customer care is this bad. They even told me I checked it the wrong way so I found on the disc how to check it properly it is still low.

Checking Oil Level
To assure proper engine lubrication, the engine oil must be maintained at the correct level. Check the oil level at regular intervals, such as every fuel stop. The best time to check the engine oil level is approximately five minutes after a fully warmed engine is shut off. Do not check oil level before starting the engine after it has sat overnight. Checking engine oil level when the engine is cold will give you an incorrect reading.

Checking the oil while the vehicle is on level ground, and approximately five minutes after a fully warmed engine is shut off, will improve the accuracy of the oil level readings. Maintain the oil level between the range markings on the dipstick. The safe range is indicated by a crosshatch zone. Adding 1 quart (0.9 Liters) of oil when the reading is at the low end of the indicated range will result in the oil level at the full end of the indicator range.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had no measurable loss of oil after 5000 miles. I changed the oil, and used the recommended pennzoil ultra weight. I'm at 7500 miles, with no oil loss. I'm watching this closely since my last vehicle, an element, consumed about a quart every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On a related note. A month ago I had to put in 3 quarts of oil in my 2015 Trailhawk. I just had the oil changed at the dealership today and when I told them about it he said 'that is to be expected, the industry standard is 1 quart per 1000 miles" ?!?!? Does anyone here have to add oil every thousand miles? If this the case with Jeeps I am getting rid of this thing ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
3,335 Posts
On a related note. A month ago I had to put in 3 quarts of oil in my 2015 Trailhawk. I just had the oil changed at the dealership today and when I told them about it he said 'that is to be expected, the industry standard is 1 quart per 1000 miles" ?!?!? Does anyone here have to add oil every thousand miles? If this the case with Jeeps I am getting rid of this thing ASAP.

Its a load of bs. Historically I've run into broad acceptance of one quart in 3000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree, I think that they did not actually fill the oil up properly on the first oil change. I am never going to this dealership again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just got ours back from an oil change. Our oil on the trailhawke was 3.5 qts low. Our dealer said it's 1 L for every
2000 mi. I always thought your new car shouldn't use much oil at all. We were never told to watch for this, this could void the warrnty. Our brake fluid and radiator fluid were also below the low lines. Is that normal too?
Why do some renegades here use up oil and some don't?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Coming up to 8,000 miles in mine and never put a drop of oil in. Mostly stop/start short runs,n 30/40 mph limits with the occasional run on 60/70 mph roads. Been on a motorway run, 600 mile round trip three times. 1.4 turbo 6 speed manual.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have the 2.4L engine and it doesn't use any oil. I just changed it (10,000 miles) and it was right up to the full mark prior to the change.

I don't subscribe to the idea that a new engine should use as much oil as was suggested by the dealers in the posts above. Either it is leaking, has a mechanical issue (burns it for any one of a number of reasons), or wasn't properly filled in the first place.

If my car used that much oil, I'd likely trade it in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I checked my oil level shortly after I bought mine in June 16 and it was right at the top of the crosshatched line. At 4900K miles, it was 1/2 quart low just before I had the oil changed at the dealership. The oil level after dealership changed it was in the "safe zone" approx. 1/2 quart low, so I topped it off myself. I am going to monitor mine and see if I will have to keep adding some. The next time, I will supply the oil(not "Mopar" brand) and see if this will make a difference....... I know in my Subaru's it did. Perhaps going with Valvoline Syntec or Castrol Edge which I have had good results with.......Just my 2cents.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts