Jeep Renegade Forum banner

81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine was a quart low at 1800 miles. I took it in 3 days later and had the dealer change the oil/filter and make sure it was full. Drove it home and checked the level after the 20 minute drive and it was at the top of the hash marks. 2 1/2 weeks and 500 miles later and I'm 1/2 quart low again. As the dealer logged the low oil complaint inthe system as well as the oil change, I used the MOPAR app to record my findings and the mileage this morning. I'll wait another 500 miles and check again.

I've owned everything from GM small block V-8's to several asian V-6's and inline 4's and a Cummins Diesel. This thing uses more oil per mile so far than any of those. And the oil required costs the same as the special "emissions compliant" diesel oil I had to use in the Cummins (6.7ltr, 1st gen).

·
Registered
102 Posts
There was a similar thread on here. Incidentally, I came across a Consumer Reports article w/numerous comments on oil consumption: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm.
Most manufacturers are called out in the comments, so it's not just one manufacturer. There are many commenters, so it's not the driver. Sometimes, commenters said their oil consumption started after service at a dealer's shop. I wish I could remember and give him/her credit here, but in the other thread on here someone or a few writers talked about the positive crankcase ventilation. What is common to all the CR commenters is PCV. Now, I have not yet researched how PCV systems work, but I remember someone said that if one is not put back together correctly oil might be able to escape. All I can suggest now is to check and make certain that there are no air leaks in your PCV system. Good luck to you, and I will be reading up on PCV so if my Rene starts using oil I will have some idea where to start fiddling around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know I am replying to an old post but YES mine is almost 1 quart be 1000 miles. I use full synthetic name brand oil. Dealer is telling me this is normal. Ridiculous!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 Jeep Renegade that I first had this problem with at 5000 miles. Took it to dealership, they said they changed oil, and that I had to drive it for 1000 miles, mind you it had been stalling in traffic, if during the 1000 mile test stalling occured to bring it back to service dept. if no stalling occured then I was good. Well after 4000+ miles it happened again this time when I was 300 miles away from home, and in very heavy traffic. Sticker dealership put on my window was for oil change at 10087 miles, I was at 9600. Had car towed by roadside assistance and waited for Monday morning to go to dealership. First dealership literally sent me a text telling me I had to pay 135.00 diagnosis labor cost up front, while my car is under warranty, I told them not to touch the car and had it towed to another dealer. They also gave me a very hard time, but finally after 5 hours told me it again was "oil consumption" issue, that they would do oil change, and that I am to take it in to dealership at 1000 miles regardless of issue happening again. Oh and they tried charging me 78.25 for oil change, which was quickly changed to 0 by service manager who said I should not be charged anything since my car is under 10000 miles. This is complete BS!! So what I am supposed to go to dealership every 1000 miles??? I missed a day of work cause of this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think the issue with oil consumption is not really an oil consumption problem. After I purchased my '17 Desserthawk and when I did the first oil change myself on the Jeep, I noticed the oil filter was loose, there was oil running dowand upon removing the skidplate I saw a trail of oil running all the way to the rear of the skidplate. Keep in mind, this was a brand new Jeep at the time. How did the oil filter come loose by itself after it was assembled from the factory? So I proceeded to change the oil anyway. Then, a year later when it was time for another oil change, once again, when I was underneath the Jeep, I noticed the oil filter was a little loose and I saw oil on the skidplate again. This leads me to think that during the course of everyday driving, these oil filters tend to loosen themselves up unless they are screwed on tighter than usual. Normally, oil filters just need to be hand tighten past 3/4 turn once they make contact with the engine block. I'm not sure if this is the cause of the "oil consumption" issue or not. Instead, these Jeeps are just leaking oil at the oil filter.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think the issue with oil consumption is not really an oil consumption problem. After I purchased my '17 Desserthawk and when I did the first oil change myself on the Jeep, I noticed the oil filter was loose, there was oil running dowand upon removing the skidplate I saw a trail of oil running all the way to the rear of the skidplate. Keep in mind, this was a brand new Jeep at the time. How did the oil filter come loose by itself after it was assembled from the factory? So I proceeded to change the oil anyway. Then, a year later when it was time for another oil change, once again, when I was underneath the Jeep, I noticed the oil filter was a little loose and I saw oil on the skidplate again. This leads me to think that during the course of everyday driving, these oil filters tend to loosen themselves up unless they are screwed on tighter than usual. Normally, oil filters just need to be hand tighten past 3/4 turn once they make contact with the engine block. I'm not sure if this is the cause of the "oil consumption" issue or not. Instead, these Jeeps are just leaking oil at the oil filter.

This is interesting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
'17 TH 18,000 miles
Just checked my oil level yesterday, about 5,000 miles since last oil change and it hasn't burned a drop; right at the mark where I filled it to.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How is this normal??? So we have to go in every 1000 miles? There needs to be a recall.
I am going in every 1000 miles as well for the oil consumption test. The next visit is to have the cylinders probed for documentation. Likely will receive a new engine. They claim no recall as it is reported as only 10 in 1000 vehicles affected by this defect. I think this is rather strange but hell, if the replacement engine has the fix, then I will be happy. Please note, I go through 3 quarts per 1000 miles which is well above the spec of 1 quart per 2000 miles is what they quoted. So there is only a bulletin for this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If this is a common issue, perhaps that might explain why oil consumption doesn't seem so widespread with owners with the 1.4T and the 6 speed, like my '15 Latitude? These have a filter cartridge inside a housing, so leakage is minimal because the cartridge cap is generally foolproof to tighten. It still doesn't use any appreciable oil between 5k mile change intervals.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree. 2016 1.4t manual 6 doesn't lose a drop. The other interesting point and sad to say is that the 1.4 was manufactured in Italy. The other was made in America

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a15 trailhawk it's the 2.4 I just recently started running 91 instead of 87 fuel and it's made a major difference. When I run 87 I had a rough idle issue burns through oil. 91 I've had nothing but smooth sailing. I live in southern California it's hot and gas is expensive but it's worth the extra cost. I recommend trying it out if you have similar issues like mine. (2.4l tigershark engine)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree. 2016 1.4t manual 6 doesn't lose a drop. The other interesting point and sad to say is that the 1.4 was manufactured in Italy. The other was made in America
My son worked as a production engineer for FCA for several years before migrating to the aviation industry. He's the one who ordered our '15 Latitude, which he used as a company car for 6 months before we bought it. He said on several occasions that the Fiat plant in Melfi was among the most modern ones in the corporation, moreso than most of the US plants.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes. I noticed the oil consumption. I believe this has more to do with the 0-20 oil
It is very light and designed for better furl economy but the tradeoff is the oil you have to use. You save on gas but you have to spend more on oil.

Yesterday I drove 300 miles but before I did that, I made note of the amount of oil as indicated on the dipstick. It was right on to the max calibration as I have recently added about 8oz of Hotshot secret Stiction Eliminator.

After driving the 300 miles and allowing the engine to cool down completely I checked the oil again. No oil used. The dipstick indicated the same amount of oil as before I took the trip. I wonder if this product helps reduce oil consumption. Any way I will take the same trip tomorrow and report on my observations.

It also seems that the engine runs better with this product in it. The engine is very responsive as well. I like it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have been using the highest grade of fuel for my vehicle and it is only because I joined costco. Their fuel is cheaper. The price of mid grade you get the high grade so why not?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have been using the highest grade of fuel for my vehicle and it is only because I joined costco. Their fuel is cheaper. The price of mid grade you get the high grade so why not?
The octane number of gasoline is not a grade of quality. It's an antiknock index used my manufacturers to gauge what octane is required to prevent knock in an engine, usually a turbo, or high performance engine. If a vehicle is rated for 87, then 87 should be used. If a vehicle is rated for 91, or 95, then 91 or 95 should be used respectively.

If you are looking for high quality fuel, look for a Top Tier Fuel. https://www.toptiergas.com/

81 - 100 of 144 Posts