Jeep Renegade Forum banner

141 - 144 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a used 2015 Jeep Renegade and have had it for 2 years now. It has the 1.4 L Turbo. SInce I have had the vehicle it has had a number of unusual problems which a re-flash of the computer fixed. But the biggest problem is the 3 times now, the oil just evaporates between oil changes. I have had the oil disappear from the dipstick and had to add oil right away. The low pressure light only comes on when the oil is completely gone. I would think it would come on sooner to prevent driving without oil. The dealer where I purchased the Truck, tells me there is nothing wrong each time I have it checked, when the oil run out. It seems to be an intermittent problem without any pattern. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just that I am too picky about oil consumption?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Welcome aboard Oldgeezer.

This is the first complaint I've read about oil consumption on the 1.4L. If it is intermittent in nature, I would think there might be an issue in the PCV system, though I admittedly know nothing about crank case venting on the 1.4L.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Many topics have been created about Jeeps losing oil. I came across an explanation and it may have been on YouTube (wish I had saved it) and the reasoning was the viscosity (thickness) of the oil. In Jeeps it was suggested that they are running on very thin oil. When it heats up in the engine it has a tendency to evaporate hence you end up with a low oil reading on a regular basis.

It was intimated that newer, modern, lightweight engines need the light oil to run efficiently as opposed to the old heavyweight 4x4s of ages past that used quite thick oil.

I am unsure if that theory can stand up to normal reasoning. So my question would then be if it's evaporating and the engine system is closed then where is escaping to.

Thankfully I have never experienced oil loss and only replaced the oil recently. I have the Renegade Longitude manual 2.0L 4x4 Diesel with around 37,000 miles. Perhaps the different model is making a difference?

Sorry I cannot be of any more use :cry:

141 - 144 of 144 Posts