Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share my most recent issues with everyone here.
Some background on the car. It is a 2017 Renegade Limited bought new and serviced at the Jeep dealer where it was purchased, it currently has just over 25k miles.

Recently I noticed a puddle of oil under my Renegade. I immediately took it to the dealership and convinced them to put it up on a lift where they determined the rear main seal was bad. I dropped it off Monday and was told they would look at it Wednesday. Wednesday came and went and finally on Saturday I took a mechanic friend of mine up to crawl under and look at it. If I could pay him to do it quicker at that point I would have as I had no other car.
After he came out from under the Jeep he told me there was a large chip near the main seal that should be addressed. It looks to be a factory defect near the end of the housing and is likely why the seal failed so early. I have attached an image of what he saw ( still dripping oil after days of sitting).

Rust Iron Metal Material property Wood

I expected a call from the dealer when they discovered this, but instead got a call saying the leak was fixed but that there was another one on the top of the engine (there is). After picking up the Jeep I needed to get it up on a lift to see it, thankfully a lift was no problem (thankful for friends). I have attached images of the post repair as well. The chip is still exposing the seal as it did the first go around. With this flaw the seal is sure to fail again being exposed to all the lovely elements.

Auto part Pipe

Here is a picture of the leak on the upper part of the motor.
Auto part Engine Vehicle

I am pretty upset with the amount of motor issues I have had with this vehicle with such low miles. Anyone else having issues similar to this? I feel like I got a lemon and now I am stuck paying for a clunker.
Before this its needed new sway bar end links, a new door handle mechanism, new rear wing (faulty electronics ) and now I am getting a "sound system unavailable" message.... o_O

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
812 Posts
My 2015 has just the slightest signs of oil weeping above the alternator in a similar location to yours. Not enough to make a drop, but you can see the darker color.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Mine also has a hole in the same spot also. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow.
Hello Cordell,
We are sorry to hear about your recent concern. Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If we can be of any assistance, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be glad to help.
Laura
Jeepcares

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 16 trailhawk. Have similar issue with oil coming from between the engine and transmission. Im at 81k and fear this won't be covered by the dealership.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some background on the car. It is a 2017 Renegade Limited bought new and serviced at the Jeep dealer where it was purchased, it currently has just over 25k miles.

Recently I noticed a puddle of oil under my Renegade. I immediately took it to the dealership and convinced them to put it up on a lift where they determined the rear main seal was bad. I dropped it off Monday and was told they would look at it Wednesday. Wednesday came and went and finally on Saturday I took a mechanic friend of mine up to crawl under and look at it. If I could pay him to do it quicker at that point I would have as I had no other car.
After he came out from under the Jeep he told me there was a large chip near the main seal that should be addressed. It looks to be a factory defect near the end of the housing and is likely why the seal failed so early. I have attached an image of what he saw ( still dripping oil after days of sitting).

View attachment 2396347435

I expected a call from the dealer when they discovered this, but instead got a call saying the leak was fixed but that there was another one on the top of the engine (there is). After picking up the Jeep I needed to get it up on a lift to see it, thankfully a lift was no problem (thankful for friends). I have attached images of the post repair as well. The chip is still exposing the seal as it did the first go around. With this flaw the seal is sure to fail again being exposed to all the lovely elements.

View attachment 2396347436

View attachment 2396347437

I am pretty upset with the amount of motor issues I have had with this vehicle with such low miles. Anyone else having issues similar to this? I feel like I got a lemon and now I am stuck paying for a clunker.
Before this its needed new sway bar end links, a new door handle mechanism, new rear wing (faulty electronics ) and now I am getting a "sound system unavailable" message.... o_O
You are right, you are stuck with a lemon because Chrysler doEs not stand behind their product. Maybe if enough of us complain we will get some service from this company. I have a oil burner from brand new Jeep. Had to put 5quarts of oil in at 4000 miles. Light never came on. I kept hearing a bell dinging. I put oil in it and it stop. I took it to the dealership and they said this normal to use that much oil. This bs it is not normal.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
505 Posts
You are right, you are stuck with a lemon because Chrysler doEs not stand behind their product. Maybe if enough of us complain we will get some service from this company. I have a oil burner from brand new Jeep. Had to put 5quarts of oil in at 4000 miles. Light never came on. I kept hearing a bell dinging. I put oil in it and it stop. I took it to the dealership and they said this normal to use that much oil. This bs it is not normal.
It’s not normal, generally. But, there’s been so many oil consumption complaints with the 2.4L Tigershark that Chrysler puts in countless of their cars, that they now consider the excessive oil consumption “normal.” It’s a shame honestly, but if you want to fix the problem you either have to be willing to check oil levels frequently or just get rid of the thing.

·
Super Moderator
4,522 Posts
I have a 16 trailhawk. Have similar issue with oil coming from between the engine and transmission. Im at 81k and fear this won't be covered by the dealership.

and enjoy the forum!

That is why I bought the Maxcare Lifetime Warrantee.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
It’s not normal, generally. But, there’s been so many oil consumption complaints with the 2.4L Tigershark that Chrysler puts in countless of their cars, that they now consider the excessive oil consumption “normal.” It’s a shame honestly, but if you want to fix the problem you either have to be willing to check oil levels frequently or just get rid of the thing.
I agree that need to get rid of it but I am upside down payments right now. I looked into it. The 10,000 in trade in value. Who can afford that? I am 71 years old now I cannot afford to lose that much this car is a pain in my ass. Does anyone in America think these company should have sell good products. I am getting rid of it as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
If I were 71 I would be buying a "Banger" of a car and enjoying a few really good holidays for my 10K, just saying.

On the flip side I would NEVER be in debt for 10K deliberately and especially not aged 71.

I can only imagine your idea is to die old whilst owing a fortune and some poorer person has to suffer your 10K loss. Absolutely shocking concept of borrowing money that you have.

Were Momma and Poppa squatters, perhaps? and drove around in a Rolls Royce?

But hey, let the Trolls question your ethics for a change :love::love::love:

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
644 Posts

View attachment 2396347435

View attachment 2396347436

View attachment 2396347437

under warranty--- make a lot of noise when other customers around, it works dealer will benwhen you complain loudly--- i have done that and they take the car in immediately

1 - 12 of 11 Posts