Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to pick up my Renegade the dealer informed me that he had to got back to the DMV 3 times because they had issues with the vehicle VIN number.

I thought that this was strange because my insurance company (Belair) also had issues with the VIN.

When I finally got the car I brought in the owners manual and all the paperwork to read through it.

That's when I stumbled across that yellow car from Chrysler Fiat indicating the issue with the vin number.

I then contacted Belair and emailed them a scanned copy of the yellow card.

Well I've had my Renegade for 2 and a half weeks and received a call from Belair informing me that they were still dealing with their underwriting department. They have now asked me to send them a copy of the bill of sale and a copy of the vehicle registration.

Has anyone else had any issues with insuring and Registrating their Renegade?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ive had no problems with mine...theres a thread in here somewhere about vin's having 0's where there shouldnt be ...zaccjbbt0 , something like that, hope that helps

·
Registered
81 Posts
yes,

i have the same issue with my insurance in Canada , (9th digit is a 0).

I had to send a photo of the vin on the car as well as my ownership to them so they made sure there was no typos on the ownership.

I also send them the chrysler letter that i found out line.

Still waiting for my slip but they said they(insurance) aware of the situation and will take care of it on their end.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes,

i have the same issue with my insurance in Canada , (9th digit is a 0).

I had to send a photo of the vin on the car as well as my ownership to them so they made sure there was no typos on the ownership.

I also send them the chrysler letter that i found out line.

Still waiting for my slip but they said they(insurance) aware of the situation and will take care of it on their end.
That letter was actually with the owners manual.

How long have you had your Renegade?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have Intact in Ontario and had no issues at all. However I also go through a broker who may have fixed it all, and I never knew about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after owning my Reny for almost a month now I still hadn't received or heard back from my insurance company or even received my pink cards.

I called them yesterday and the agent told me that my file was still with the underwriting department. She then asked me if the car had been imported. I told her that I bought it in Canada but it was built in Italy. She stated that she could see on file that the vehicle was from Italy.

She ended up marching down to the underwriting department and was able to straighten everything out.

Hopefully I'll get my cards next week. I wonder why they had so many issues. Do they have different VIN numbers in Europe?

·
Registered
81 Posts
So after owning my Reny for almost a month now I still hadn't received or heard back from my insurance company or even received my pink cards.

I called them yesterday and the agent told me that my file was still with the underwriting department. She then asked me if the car had been imported. I told her that I bought it in Canada but it was built in Italy. She stated that she could see on file that the vehicle was from Italy.

She ended up marching down to the underwriting department and was able to straighten everything out.

Hopefully I'll get my cards next week. I wonder why they had so many issues. Do they have different VIN numbers in Europe?

here is what i think is happening

its because the 9th digit chrysler F'ed up.

Its suppose to be a check sum(does some math to validate the code). some of the Jeeps have a Zero as the 9th digit instead of the math so when they put it in there system it comes up a an invalid VIN

Im still waiting on mine (my temp runs out on the 28th) they said they mailed it in monday.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im still waiting on mine (my temp runs out on the 28th) they said they mailed it in monday.
My temp was running out Monday, that's why I called them.

Apart from this cluster f'k with the vin and the insurance, I'm really happy with my Renny. I'm glad I was able to get it sorted out. (Until I switch insurance company).

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't understand. I had my pink slip before I picked up the Trail Hawk. There were no issues after we got over the "Z" at the start of the VIN. After that it took a few hours to get my insurance. Why is it so hard for some, and no issue for others?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't understand. I had my pink slip before I picked up the Trail Hawk. There were no issues after we got over the "Z" at the start of the VIN. After that it took a few hours to get my insurance. Why is it so hard for some, and no issue for others?

its actually the 0 in the 9th digit that causes an issue

·
Registered
83 Posts
its actually the 0 in the 9th digit that causes an issue
The 9th digit is a check digit. The acceptable values are 0 to 9 with the letter 'X' standing in for ten. It is the result of a math formula that verifies if the V.I.N. is legitimate. I don't think the '0' there is the problem, it is more like there is a mal-formed V.I.N. that results in a different number in that spot. Maybe the result of the formula is 10, and FCA put zero instead of 'X'? Sounds to me like technical help from FCA might be needed if the V.I.N. appears invalid. I wonder how many vehicles have a similar issue?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had the same issues... they seem to be resolved now... it was that 9th digit in the vin... I dont know how it got solved. I faxed my insurrance the paper work and was like "your problem now, give me my pinks"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a used 2015 Rene, had it since Feb, my insurance will not insure it because of the VIN, FCA Canada won't help, been dealing with this for 2 weeks with no car to drive,. The dealership has agreed to buy it back. What a joke, I also work for FCA,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts