Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I need tires and am caught between a rock and a hard place.

I have the factory 18's on my North (Latitude) and wondering if i should keep them, or downgrade to 17's with new tires? I can't seem to find many styles i like to be honest.

Narrowing things down for the past 2 weeks, not even kidding.

Opinions and/or pics if you either like any of these or you have these...

The renegade doesn't look good with just any wheels on my opinion. I can't describe it, it needs a certain type of wheel. These are two options I'm steering towards.

Tires will be Nokian WGR4 and are available in both 17" and 18" sizes that i need.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In addition to these, in also considering replica wheels in black. Here are some more options as well.

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
288 Posts
Hi everyone.

I have the factory 18's on my North (Latitude) and wondering if i should keep them, or downgrade to 17's with new tires? I can't seem to find many styles i like to be honest.

Narrowing things down for the past 2 weeks, not even kidding.

The renegade doesn't look good with just any wheels on my opinion. I can't describe it, it needs a certain type of wheel. These are two options I'm steering towards.

Tires will be Nokian WGR4 and are available in both 17" and 18" sizes that i need.

Thanks in advance
look at Falken highpeak tires, give the renegade a great look, imo

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
look at Falken highpeak tires, give the renegade a great look, imo
I can understand and appreciate that, but I need all weather tires as I do much of my commuting daily on the highway and I need something that will handle commuting well. I don't use my renny for terrain purposes. The look aspect, while nice, tends to associate with all terrain, and would have other drawbacks that I don't really need or want.

Thank you for the suggestion though

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wheels are a very subjective and personal choice. I like the 2nd ones for your original post, but none of these are really my style. But the wheels I would like wouldn't probably be something that you much cared for either. Most of the wheels I like are more off-road in style and look bulkier than those.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm not understanding why you wouldn't just put the 225/55-18s on it? It sounds like your use is straight up all-season, so there are lots of choices, or did I miss something?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not understanding why you wouldn't just put the 225/55-18s on it? It sounds like your use is straight up all-season, so there are lots of choices, or did I miss something?
I was contemplating keeping the 18's but want to go with a black wheel...and on top of that, 17's will be cheaper to buy going forward, and way more choice

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was contemplating keeping the 18's but want to go with a black wheel...and on top of that, 17's will be cheaper to buy going forward, and way more choice
There are a lot of stock size 18" tires out there, just look on TireRack for examples. The Laufenn tires on mine are cheap and very good. As for black rims, my factory 18" rims are black, but the other colors are nice too. Seems like a lot of money for that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are a lot of stock size 18" tires out there, just look on TireRack for examples. The Laufenn tires on mine are cheap and very good. As for black rims, my factory 18" rims are black, but the other colors are nice too. Seems like a lot of money for that.
Your not wrong, but since buying my renny 4 years ago, I guess i'd rather just have the weight savings and have a wheel that I feel would be better for me. I'm sure when I put the stock 18's for sale, someone will buy them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Your not wrong, but since buying my renny 4 years ago, I guess i'd rather just have the weight savings and have a wheel that I feel would be better for me. I'm sure when I put the stock 18's for sale, someone will buy them.
Weight savings? The 17" rim may be lighter, but you'll have to get a tire with taller sidewalls to get back the original diameter so I doubt the tire/rim combination will be lighter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the stock 18s and wish I had the 16 or 17s for multiple reasons:
1. 18inch rims limit your offroad tire size in comparison to the smaller rims
2. the 18" tires are typically more expensive
3. the bend stupid easily. I hit one curb and ruined a rim (they are made of aluminum or a cheap metal according to the tireshop they have had many of these with bent rims)... $500 later I bought a replacement jeep 18" rim
4. The wheel gap is hella better looking on the smaller rims if you get a lift kit because the overall tire diameter is smaller making the renegade look bigger.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Hi everyone.

Thanks in advance

Straighten up your post for a second as I am easily confused. :eek:o_O

You need "tyres" (line 2)
Then you state it's "wheels" you want (line 6)
However you tell then us what your tyres will be (line7)

Please, please tell us what you are wanting. I was ready to comment on my tyres that are All Terrain and imho offer great all round value. My Alloy wheels are factory fitted, standard Jeep wheels.

Yokohama All terrain tyres are currently fitted and do the job well. Especially as the majority of my time is on normal road surfaces.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the stock 18s and wish I had the 16 or 17s for multiple reasons:
1. 18inch rims limit your offroad tire size in comparison to the smaller rims
2. the 18" tires are typically more expensive
3. the bend stupid easily. I hit one curb and ruined a rim (they are made of aluminum or a cheap metal according to the tireshop they have had many of these with bent rims)... $500 later I bought a replacement jeep 18" rim
4. The wheel gap is hella better looking on the smaller rims if you get a lift kit because the overall tire diameter is smaller making the renegade look bigger.
For off road likely 17" would be better, but that was not the OP's use. As for hitting curbs, well yeah, aluminum rims don't like that. However a 1/2" smaller radius probably would not have kept your rim off the curb, and I doubt the OP will be getting steel rims, so It's best not to hit them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Straighten up your post for a second as I am easily confused. :eek:o_O

You need "tyres" (line 2)
Then you state it's "wheels" you want (line 6)
However you tell then us what your tyres will be (line7)

Please, please tell us what you are wanting. I was ready to comment on my tyres that are All Terrain and imho offer great all round value. My Alloy wheels are factory fitted, standard Jeep wheels.

Yokohama All terrain tyres are currently fitted and do the job well. Especially as the majority of my time is on normal road surfaces.
In Canada, we spell it as 'tires' however the brand Nokian spells out in their title as 'tyres' which is why i wrote it that way. Sorry for the confusion.

I am getting new tires. Until now, i have been undecided whether i want to buy new tires for my existing 18" wheels or if i should downgrade to 17" wheels and buy tires for that.

I have decided to go down to a 17" wheel for a few reasons. The ride is slightly rougher on an 18" wheel. The tires cost more for an 18" wheel and I've always wanted a black wheel so this would be the perfect time to do all of this.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Tires and tyres was not the confusion. I'm not that silly :p:p:p

It was you asking for opinions on tyres/tires then asking for wheels o_O;):D

Cost is what we all think about and I think that what you want to achieve is ultimately going to cost a whole lot more than you think. Even if someone should buy your second hand/used tyres and wheels there is still the more expensive cost of new wheels and tyres to be bought and fitted.

Why not keep your wheels and have them powder coated in black with your existing tyres?

·
Registered
733 Posts
And you have to hope your TPMS sensors can be transferred to your new wheels... Them babies ain't cheap if you need to buy new.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tires and tyres was not the confusion. I'm not that silly :p:p:p

It was you asking for opinions on tyres/tires then asking for wheels o_O;):D

Cost is what we all think about and I think that what you want to achieve is ultimately going to cost a whole lot more than you think. Even if someone should buy your second hand/used tyres and wheels there is still the more expensive cost of new wheels and tyres to be bought and fitted.

Why not keep your wheels and have them powder coated in black with your existing tyres?
I want asking for opinions on tires, i was saying that i need new tires and was considering getting new wheels. This thread was about opinions on wheels.

I have thought about powder coating them black already. The problem is the turnaround time. I only have one vehicle, and i have to remove the tires from them, and they won't be done for minimum 4 weeks, but estimated at 5 weeks. I work outside the area and to rent a vehicle so i can have my wheels done will cost a fortune.

Thank you all for your concern. I've decided to go with these wheels below and get the tires pre installed as a package. I will install them on the car in my garage. Due to covid anyways, it seems as though no one is open on Saturdays anymore. This poses a huge problem for me as i work Monday to Friday at a business considered essential, and I'm not going to take a day off just to get tires.

The package is actually quite reasonable so I'll spend the extra to have what i want in the end. Factor in what i can sell my OEMs for, and I'm really only out maybe $250-300.

These are the wheels I'm going with

and getting Cooper Discoverer Enduramax tires in 225 60 R17 mounted on them with TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Received my wheel and tire combo yesterday. Going on this morning. Here is the setup. I'll have pics later today of them installed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts