Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 1.4T Renegade Limited.
My engine has the orange coolant and I would like to add some more so as to top it up to the "max" line. (now it is on the "low" line).

I cannot find it anywhere. All the dealers in Greece have either the red/purple one or the green one.

It is specifically said in the particulars of the orange coolant that it must not be mixed with any other type of coolant.

Can someone tell me the exact type/part number of the orange coolant, and from where I can order it? (maybe Amazon etc).

I thank you very much in advance for your kind replies.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Since Chrysler switched in 2012/2013 to purple OAT, I seriously doubt that you have the old HOAT coolant. Can yo draw out a little coolant from the overflow reservoir with a turkey baster, put into a clear cup and take a picture?

Purple OAT: MOPAR part number 68163848AA
Orange/Pink HOAT: MOPAR part number 68048953AB

Call Chrysler and confirm what coolant you have. If you give them your vehicle identification number (chassis number - whatever you call it in Greece) they can look this up. I don't see how the dealer could possibly not carry the required fluid.

You cannot trust the color. VW says G12+ is purple, and the concentrate is purple. To my eyes, once diluted 50:50 with water, it's magenta or pink but not purple:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Although on Amazon it's says not compatible with Renegade, the coolant the user manual recommends is Mopar 10 year/ 150,000 mile OAT technology. The 50/50 prediluted (Do not add water) mix is Mopar part number 68163849AB.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bringing back this subject, as I am still not able to identify what type of coolant my car has.

I made a search and found out the following:

The Chrysler old orange coolant is HOAT.
The Chrysler new purple coolant is OAT.

Fiat uses OAT coolant but with orange color!

So, when FIAT purchased Chrysler and became FCA, in order to avoid confusion in the colors of the coolants, they have started to insert red dye into the orange FIAT OAT coolant to make it look like the OAT purple coolant of Chrysler...

This is why I believe that I probably have the new FIAT OAT coolant but the color is something between orange and red...
I have not drawn any coolant out of the overflow yet, but I will do so just to make sure.

I have gone to my dealer today and he said that they only use the red coolant for my car. They do not have instructions to use any other color. (He never heard before about HOATs and OATs)...
I bought a litter of it and it is G-12 Long Life Concentrate Coolant. The color is red and it is OAT. Specifications FIAT 9.55523. Not MOPAR brand, but a local Greek brand (AEGEAN).
These are the exact specifications that are mentioned in my owner's manual.

The BS.Standard is 6580:2010

The only thing I have to test is to draw some of my coolant out and see it clearly in a clear cup. If its reddish then I believe I am ok. If not... maybe I have the FIAT orange coolant which is OAT so I suppose there is no problem to mix it with the red I bought.

My only fear is if I have the HOAT coolant... How can I be sure of that, apart from the fact that my car is built 2014-2015, i.e. well after Chrysler changed from HOAT to OAT...?

What do you guys think...?

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
846 Posts
I found the same info you did about the change from orange HOAT to orange OAT. I too have orange coolant in my Renegade. I'd put good money we have OAT installed.
I was thinking our only option was to use purple colored OAT - what a mess of a mud color that would have made. So your dealer had red OAT. Good to know. That will at least mix better with the orange and not wind up with a rust color coolant (which never looks good).

Too many people are wrongly using the color as their only guide. Shame the service manage had never heard of OAT or HOAT. He's probably one of the people that think the color tells the whole story.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Too many people are wrongly using the color as their only guide. Shame the service manage had never heard of OAT or HOAT. He's probably one of the people that think the color tells the whole story.
I asked the guy at the parts department "if I will bring my Renegade here and ask you to top up my coolant, which coolant will you use?"
He said "the red one I am selling to you. We do not offer any other coolant for this specific jeep".
I then said "Have you ever topped up the coolant in a Renegade"?
and he said "The car is so new that we never even carried out an oil change in one"...

What can I say... :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.