Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I haven't done much TO my Renegade yet (only one week old), but I've ordered lots of parts FOR my Renegade to make 'er mine.
So far I've ordered:
A set of 10" Oscar Mike distressed stars for the rear side panel
A set of whispbar cross rails
A Rola cargo basket for the rails
A set of Jeep slush mats (should be delivered today)
A custom-fit sunshield to keep the Texas sun off of my dash
A set of Kicker speakers for the dash (door speakers to follow later)

I'll post pictures once I get some of the exterior add-ons installed. Most of the parts will be delivered next week.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well, I haven't done much TO my Renegade yet (only one week old), but I've ordered lots of parts FOR my Renegade to make 'er mine.
So far I've ordered:
A set of 10" Oscar Mike distressed stars for the rear side panel
A set of whispbar cross rails
A Rola cargo basket for the rails
A set of Jeep slush mats (should be delivered today)
A custom-fit sunshield to keep the Texas sun off of my dash
A set of Kicker speakers for the dash (door speakers to follow later)

I'll post pictures once I get some of the exterior add-ons installed. Most of the parts will be delivered next week.
Tell me about the "whispbar" cross rails please, is that a brand? Or a type of crossrail made by jeep?

·
Registered
210 Posts
The "Dashmat" shipped today, arrival next week. Loved the one in my Liberty, my cars are always in the sun, and, be it old belief or not, the dashmat keeps it (the dash) from direct sunlight....buyer of my other Jeep seemed to like the one it came with, too. We'll see how it looks soon, they custom make these, and can embroider or add things to them, too. Mine will just be "plain." First one was bought from amazon, this one directly from the company since it's a newly designed car. Pictures when it arrives/installs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tell me about the "whispbar" cross rails please, is that a brand? Or a type of crossrail made by jeep?
The actual "Whispbar" rails are made by Yakima, but I bought the knock-off version from ebay for about $350 less ($74 delivered vs $429 from Whispbar). I got them because I wanted a low-profile cross rail that fits BETWEEN the side rails instead of mounted on top of the side rails. I don't have the MySky panels, so roof clearance isn't a concern of mine.

The bars are shaped similar to wing, so they supposedly have less wind noise than round or square bars. I wasn't as concerned with the aerodynamics of the bars as the location of the bars on the roof. The Whispbars are the only bars I found that mount really low.

The ad on ebay actually calls them Whispbars, even though they are generic bars. They appear to be designed exactly like the Yakima Whispbars. Mine are due to be delivered on Monday. As soon as I get them installed I'll post pictures and my opinion of the bars. My cargo rack is due on Monday, too!

·
Registered
607 Posts
The actual "Whispbar" rails are made by Yakima, but I bought the knock-off version from ebay for about $350 less ($74 delivered vs $429 from Whispbar). I got them because I wanted a low-profile cross rail that fits BETWEEN the side rails instead of mounted on top of the side rails. I don't have the MySky panels, so roof clearance isn't a concern of mine.

The bars are shaped similar to wing, so they supposedly have less wind noise than round or square bars. I wasn't as concerned with the aerodynamics of the bars as the location of the bars on the roof. The Whispbars are the only bars I found that mount really low.

The ad on ebay actually calls them Whispbars, even though they are generic bars. They appear to be designed exactly like the Yakima Whispbars. Mine are due to be delivered on Monday. As soon as I get them installed I'll post pictures and my opinion of the bars. My cargo rack is due on Monday, too!
Oh ok, thanks for the tip! I know some people on here have mysky with roof cross rails, and they can still angle the mysky panels off and on, although not sure if that would work with the wispbar rails you have

·
Registered
221 Posts

Can you please provide a link

Sent from my iPhone 6

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Prorack-Whispbar-S46-ROOF-RACK-Cross-Bar-For-Chevrolet-Captiva-Jeep-Patriot-/371331027439?hash=item56750dd1ef&vxp=mtr

This is a current listing for the rails I ordered. I just did a tracking on mine, and they won't be delivered until Tuesday, and I'll be out of town for a few days. I won't be able to provide an update until later in the week when I return.

The "S46" is the size for the Renegade, according to the Yakima/Whispbar website. The ebay listing doesn't show the Renegade, but the S46 should be the correct unit for our vehicles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I didn't see you! I've only seen two other Renegades since I started looking out for them a couple of months ago (one orange a week ago, and one yellow about 6 weeks ago). Mine will be a little easier to spot once I get the rails and cargo basket on it this weekend. The basket arrived today so I've got it assembled & ready to mount, but I've got to wait until the rails get here. They are scheduled to be delivered Tuesday, but I'm leaving early in the morning for a couple of days in McAllen on business. Hopefully I'll get back late Wednesday, and be able to mount the rails & cargo basket on Thursday or Friday. Friday afternoon I'm leaving for a weekend at a friend's ranch, so I'll get to do a little off-roading this weekend!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I received my rails from ebay and they are too short! The listing states that they were the S46 rails, which according to Whispbar are the correct size for the Renegade. I called Whispbar to verify the model number/size, and they said the S46 is correct. The ebay ad states it is a S46, but the rails were way too short. The seller has the longer rails available, so I'm trying to exchange the short ones for the longer rails.

My rack arrived, and I had a camping trip planned for the weekend, so I went to Walmart and bought a set of their round cross rails locally so I could haul some things to the campsite. I'm still planning on replacing the rails with the Whispbar style since they will allow the rack to mount several inches lower which should help with wind resistance and noise.

Here are the pictures of the Rola rack on the round bars. The set-up worked great this past weekend. I had 5 long "T" posts, a chainsaw, two folding chairs, two rakes, and a long walking stick on the rack, with plenty of room left over. Nothing came loose on the rough trails getting to and from the camp site, and there was very little wind noise on the highway at 80 mph. With the radio off, you can hear some wind noise at highway speeds, but with the radio on low volume the wind noise can't be heard. I'm hoping the noise will drop when I mount the basket on the Whispbars which are almost flush with the side rails.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I needed a rack soon as well so I didn't wait for your results and ordered a set for myself. They're suppose to be delivered tomorrow, so I guess I'll be sending them back. Let me know how your interaction with the seller goes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, I didn't get the extension. The rack is longer than a lot of other styles I saw, so I didn't consider the extension. With an extension it would take up most of the roof top. I've got a smaller basket on my Patriot, and it has always worked well for me without the need of an extension. I usually only haul really long items or "dirty" items that I don't want in the interior of my vehicle (chainsaw, bikes, construction tools, etc). I'd be curious to see how the full-length basket would look on the Renegade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No, I didn't get the extension. The rack is longer than a lot of other styles I saw, so I didn't consider the extension. With an extension it would take up most of the roof top. I've got a smaller basket on my Patriot, and it has always worked well for me without the need of an extension. I usually only haul really long items or "dirty" items that I don't want in the interior of my vehicle (chainsaw, bikes, construction tools, etc). I'd be curious to see how the full-length basket would look on the Renegade.
@Schwankster Thanks for the update, Ill be buying mine with the extention. Still looking for some lo pro rails (aero type) though.... any thoughts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Whispbars are the lowest I've seen, but if you buy the branded version they are $429 per set. The knock-off versions on ebay are less than $100 delivered, but make sure you check the actual size you are ordering, rather than going by the seller's description. As I stated earlier, the S46 knock-offs that I ordered were NOT the size that Whispbar states will fit the Renegade (which is listed as S46 on the Whispbar website). The way I measured the distance between my side rails, they are 41-1/8" (or 104.5 cm) at the back, and 42-1/2" (or 107 cm) at the front - the gap widens as you go from the rear to the front. The short bars I got on ebay were only 93-99 cm long. It looks like we need to order the 105-111 cm rails to fit the Renegade. I'm working with ebay and the seller to return or exchange the rails I have for the longer rails. As soon as I get them, I'll post pictures with the rack mounted.

Please post pics of your rack with the extension on your Renegade when you get it installed. I'd really like to see how the longer rack looks!

Reactions: LAS
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.