Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curios what other test drives you had before choosing a Renegade.

I tried the new Land Rover Discovery Sport with the 2.2L diesel. It was very sophisticated to drive, but not as exciting as the Trailhawk, which I eventually ordered.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The price for the Land Rover here in Switzerland would actually have been between the Renegade and the Cherokee. But it would have come with a 6 month delivery time and for me didn't have the wow-factor of the Trailhawk.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bionic and I seem to be on the exact same page. Those are all I would test drive. And driving in snow is a huge factor. I first thought of holding out to test drive the upcoming Mazda CX3 and Honda HRV. But nothing beats the form of the Renegade. I want to stand out, not blend in with the masses.

CRV had bad blind spots, in my opinion. Subaru Outback is fine, but boring. Was going to text drive the Crosstek. Been a passenger, but never drove. Ultimately, though, why test it when, again....its not like the Renegade--exciting AND capable. Also...after driving a 2007 Rav4 Sport for 8 years, I just can't get use to driving lower to the ground.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ford Escape. I can get a v6 4x4 and some cool tech for a couple k more than the Renegade with 0% for 60 or 72 months. It would probably be the same payment as the Renegade with tis rate.

What pulls the Renegade ahead is the TrailHawk. I work in an area with a lot of dirt roads that turn into pot holes after bad weather along near a lot of National Parks (Utah). I want the true off road capability of the Renegade.

I do worry about the transmission if it really is the same kind used in the Cherokee.

Reactions: evrafter

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ford Escape. I can get a v6 4x4 and some cool tech for a couple k more than the Renegade with 0% for 60 or 72 months. It would probably be the same payment as the Renegade with tis rate.

What pulls the Renegade ahead is the TrailHawk. I work in an area with a lot of dirt roads that turn into pot holes after bad weather along near a lot of National Parks (Utah). I want the true off road capability of the Renegade.

I do worry about the transmission if it really is the same kind used in the Cherokee.

Hey, Mogg...I'm in Salt Lake, and we get the same pot holes going down I-15. lol #UtahDrivingProbs

·
Registered
187 Posts
The price for the Land Rover here in Switzerland would actually have been between the Renegade and the Cherokee. But it would have come with a 6 month delivery time and for me didn't have the wow-factor of the Trailhawk.
I heard that in Europe the Renegades compete with the compact Land Rovers...

Here in Canada, they are completely different markets... The Land Rovers being on the luxury level, we dream about test driving them :)

Compact entry level LRs here compete with the Grand Cherokee that is by itself a luxury option at Jeep for Canadians... Not Americans I suppose...

I am not saying the LR are more reliable, not at all, but they are so hot :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I woudn't call the Land Rover compact, since its about 14 inches longer and 5 inches wider than the Renegade. Because of that it wasn't as zippy to drive as the Renny and due to a lower seat position didn't offer the same good overview.
It feels more like a luxury car to drive than a 4x4.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looked at the BMW X1 myself, found the interior rather cramped.
Not the airy feeling of the Renegade.

BTW: the 9 speed auto tranny of the Renegade is the further development of BMW's 8 speed, both built by ZF Friedrichshafen.
It is also used in the Range Rover Evoque, the Land Rover Discovery Sport and in an Acura.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Test drove a MiniCooper Countryman All4 (inside seemed cheap and plastic...plus they nickle and dimed you on all the options) and an Audi A3 (If I'm spending $30k on a car, I'm sure as **** test driving an Audi) and a Mazda CX-5 (2015). Took out a Tiquan too, but knew as soon as I climbed in it, I knew it wasn't for me.

After driving a Jetta for almost 3 years was looking to get back to a small SUV (Had a Honda Element that I LOVED). Have to admit, the Mazda had more bells and whistles...but didn't give me the drive and feel I wanted. The Jeep was definitely my favorite in the $25-32k range. Drove like a tank, but was responsive and agile at the same time.

**my bleeped out comment was H-E-Double Hockeysticks.**

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm curios what other test drives you had before choosing a Renegade.

I tried the new Land Rover Discovery Sport with the 2.2L diesel. It was very sophisticated to drive, but not as exciting as the Trailhawk, which I eventually ordered.
I test drove the CX-5 and RAV4. I wanted the RAV4 as I get employee discount for being a tech. I also get some discount on Mazda because I work with Chase and that's their lender.

I ended up getting the Renegade, because I drive a Tundra for hauling bikes and welding equipment right now. I couldn't take the ride height difference. The CX-5 was sweet too, but too nice. I'd just wreck it with that clearance. The Renegade has a good middle ground for me. On my test drive, I approached a rather high curb to some construction site and it barely broke a sweat (just a Latitude 4x4).

That sealed the deal. Let's hope the 9HP doesn't grenade with all the paranoia going around :)

-A

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
The Renegade transmission that many are warning us about, is the same one in those 3 cars you mentioned?!
Yes. Just different software. Also the Cherokee, 200, 500x, pro master city, and 2015 Honda CR-V.

It comes with two sets of internals. The renegade uses the beefier version.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Renegade transmission that many are warning us about, is the same one in those 3 cars you mentioned?!

Yes, you can check on the ZF Website or on Wikipedia, its the model 9HP 48 and is installed in the following cars: Acura TLX, Chrysler 200, Fiat Doblò, Fiat 500X, Honda CR-V (2015-), Jeep Cherokee (KL), Jeep Renegade, Ram ProMaster City, Range Rover Evoque, Land Rover Discovery Sport.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Good to know it's also available in those other vehicles but configured differently. Seems like issues are increased with pushing the transmission harder for a beefier setup, much unlike some of the other vehicles it's in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.