Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a former ranger owner (5 of them) has anyone driven beaches of outer banks with their renegade? How was it?

About to take the plunge on a renegade but outer banks beach driving is a must and don't want to be sorry after the fact.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Forum member METSFAN was on the outer banks a while back, and as I remember the Renegade did ok. Maybe you could pm him for more info. I am curious as well. I plan to drive on the beaches locally when they open up to driving after Labor Day. I did drive on the beach a little last year and it seemed ok but I really didn't get to try it out like I wanted due to a knee injury. Our beaches are not as soft as the OBX beaches. I went there many years ago with a Toyota pickup, a lot of fun but tricky in spots. Keep us posted if you find anything out. Is there a jeep dealer in the OBX area you could contact to see if any Renegades run the beaches?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Outer Banks Chrysler Dodge Jeep,. I just bought my Renegade as well, but not for driving on the beach so much. We have a old wrangler for that and have the yearly beach pass for the wrangler. I heard positive things about the new Renegades on sand, but like all other vehicles it is wise to lower the air out of all 4 tires to 20psi. Between Memorial day and Labor day the sand is tore up the most and the hardest to drive on, best time is after labor day and a couple rain events have happened.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had my Renegade in the Outer Banks (in Corolla to be exact) last week. I couldn't wait to finally test it out on sand! It performed wonderfully! I will say that the Wranglers and some other 4WD car owners (Hummers, etc) were a little more daring in driving outside of the packed sand paths, but I didn't get stuck!

Just keep it on at least semi-firm sand if you are using the factory tires (which I did).

Obviously, make sure you have the 4WD model, and as others have mentioned in this forum, deflate all tires to 15lbs.I would have a tire inflator with a 120-volt adapter handy. I deflated the tires right outside of the beach, and inflated them at the gas station around 1/2 mile down the road after the adventure. Also, make sure to have a shovel handy in case you do get stuck. You can use your car mats as traction if need be.

While I didn't get stuck, plenty of people did. I saw a minivan and a Toyota Corolla get stuck as soon as they entered the sand. There is a tow truck company (one guy, really) who is usually stationed on the beach and ready to give a helping tow... for $300!! So don't get stuck, especially if the tide is coming in!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had my Renegade in the Outer Banks (in Corolla to be exact) last week. I couldn't wait to finally test it out on sand! It performed wonderfully! I will say that the Wranglers and some other 4WD car owners (Hummers, etc) were a little more daring in driving outside of the packed sand paths, but I didn't get stuck!
Was that you at Winks on Thursday afternoon? I was the guy that came up to you and asked about the Rene performance on the sand.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Just keep it on at least semi-firm sand if you are using the factory tires (which I did).

Obviously, make sure you have the 4WD model, and as others have mentioned in this forum, deflate all tires to 15lbs.I would have a tire inflator with a 120-volt adapter handy. I deflated the tires right outside of the beach, and inflated them at the gas station around 1/2 mile down the road after the adventure. Also, make sure to have a shovel handy in case you do get stuck. You can use your car mats as traction if need be.

While I didn't get stuck, plenty of people did. I saw a minivan and a Toyota Corolla get stuck as soon as they entered the sand. There is a tow truck company (one guy, really) who is usually stationed on the beach and ready to give a helping tow... for $300!! So don't get stuck, especially if the tide is coming in!!

Very Nice I was supposed to be at Corolla to (Sat-Tues) but a sudden event forced me to cancel. I might have seen you in the sand as I intended to take the BU TH on the beach as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a former ranger owner (5 of them) has anyone driven beaches of outer banks with their renegade? How was it?

About to take the plunge on a renegade but outer banks beach driving is a must and don't want to be sorry after the fact.

Thanks in advance!

Wrangler not ranger ... Any way to edit these posts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.