Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed my outside temp sensor isn't very accurate. It seems to be off by about 7 or 8 degrees. Verified by my phone, the bank, and the local radio station. Anyway of calibrating it?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
So I noticed my outside temp sensor isn't very accurate. It seems to be off by about 7 or 8 degrees. Verified by my phone, the bank, and the local radio station. Anyway of calibrating it?
Mine is not that accurate also. The sensor placement (under passenger outside mirror) is probably the major problem. I haven't noticed anything that relates to calibration.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
External temp sensor under the wing mirror
has been standard for decades.

My last 7 cars have had this.

It's just a simple thermistor.

A common problem is a loose or dirty
door loom connector. Disconnecting,
cleaning and reconnecting usually fixes it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Also, being in a black plastic housing could cause the reading to be influenced by the sun.

This is the first vehicle I've owned where the sensor is in the wing mirror. My other vehicles had them near the front valance. There they were influenced by the hot pavement, but at least I felt I was getting an accurate idea of road level environment in the winter (when I'm most concerned).

Any outside air temperature sensor location on a vehicle is going to be influenced by something related to the vehicle (or its surroundings).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
This is the first vehicle I have had with the sensor on the mirror. It is also the first vehicle where the accuracy has been this far off, all the others were much more accurate.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Maybe it's no good for °F...?

·
Registered
260 Posts
It’s a kack location for a temperature sensor, it’s badly affected by sunlight, so when the car has been sitting with the sun shining on the side with the sensor in the mirror the readings are way hotter than reality. Previous cars I have had all had the sensors at the front, some behind the bumper etc.

This is the first car i have owned that has it in such a stupid place where it gives wild readings !

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
And here I was thinking this was a US Only problem.

:p

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand that sunlight could affect the accuracy but I first noticed the discrepancy in the early morning with night time conditions

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Disconnect the door loom connector and inspect and clean both sides
with contact cleaner.

This is the problem 95% of the time. I recently fixed a 500L's temp reading
doing this.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I just had to pick up a friend at the ER and my outside temp gauge agreed with 3 outdoor thermometers along the way and they all agreed. 2 degrees F. I think that is the first time this has happened. Maybe the cold temps are more accurate, of course it is dark out so no sunlight on the sensor.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will try cleaning the wire harness connections. If that doesn't work I may just live with it rather than take it to a dealer. I am still under warranty but just don't trust them not to screw something else up.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
If they can't change out a simple component in the door mirror
without ****ing it up, I wouldn't trust them near the car, period.

;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the cold weather package where the heated seats and steering wheel come on below I think 37*F. I wonder if the system uses that outside temp sensor to determine when to come on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
External temp sensor under the wing mirror
has been standard for decades.

My last 7 cars have had this.

It's just a simple thermistor.

A common problem is a loose or dirty
door loom connector. Disconnecting,
cleaning and reconnecting usually fixes it.
Mine is brand new and the outside temp is still off by 7-10 degrees .. it’s a design flaw

1 - 20 of 22 Posts