Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My renegade is reading the outside temperature sometimes 10 degrees warmer than it is. Today it was 80F but the temp said 94F.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
You have to be driving for the outside temperature to read correctly. In addition, if the sun is beating on the sensor, it will read higher than actual.

Try to notice the temperature on a cloudy day while you're driving and see if it is close to actual.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Anyone know where the sensor is located?
The sensor on our old Astro was in the grill so it usually take a few minutes of driving to get an accurate reading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to be driving for the outside temperature to read correctly. In addition, if the sun is beating on the sensor, it will read higher than actual.

Try to notice the temperature on a cloudy day while you're driving and see if it is close to actual.
It comes down a little bit, but still not within any accurate range.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Anyone know where the sensor is located?
The sensor on our old Astro was in the grill so it usually take a few minutes of driving to get an accurate reading.
Bottom of the passenger side mirror.

Mine reads fine after driving a little ways. When I first leave work of course it reads pretty high because it's been sitting in direct sun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yesterday it was 90F but my Renegade said it was 120F! Drove it for awhile, it came down to 92F, but that was frightening!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agree That OAT Is Incorrect

I agree that the outside temp being displayed in the Renegade is not accurate. I park in a covered garage and it is always around 5-7 degrees off when I first get on the road. I realize this can be because weather apps aren't giving weather from where I am exactly located, but the difference is enough to make it suspect. When in the sun the outside temp displayed is usually at least 10-15 degrees higher than expected.

It has been warm lately in Denver, but we haven't broken 100 degrees very much and when the sun is out the temp typically shows over 100. If it was that hot anywhere in the Denver area it would be reported on the news (Denver isn't all that exciting of a place :) ).

Additionally, every other car I have had with an OAT display seemed to be pretty accurate. Either the Renegade design is flawed (i.e. Jeep put the sensor in a place that is affected by the sun and can't give a true indication of the OAT) or the outside temp sensor is faulty.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Oat

I may be wrong, but I believe OAT is measured to provide input to the computer for engine operating purposes, not to tell us how warm it is outside. I suspect the sensor is somewhere in the engine air intake system. Perhaps a more knowledgeable person can chime in here but I know that's how it works in my other vehicles.

·
Registered
398 Posts

Mine reads fine after driving a little ways. When I first leave work of course it reads pretty high because it's been sitting in direct sun.
Oh, that's what that is! I was poking at it, trying to figure out what the heck it was, and why there wasn't one on the driver's side. Good to know!

·
Premium Member
916 Posts

Really? There? what an odd place for a sensor. I would have thought it was near the interior dash or in front of the radiator/hood.

TS out

·
Registered
140 Posts
temp sensor

anybody have issues with the jeep outside temp displaying too high? seems fine at cooler temps but the warmer it gets the greater it is off accuracy. displays warmer by 4 to 8 degrees.

·
Registered
106 Posts
anybody have issues with the jeep outside temp displaying too high? seems fine at cooler temps but the warmer it gets the greater it is off accuracy. displays warmer by 4 to 8 degrees.
Is this while in motion for a little bit or after the vehicle has been sitting for a couple hours?

·
Registered
132 Posts
You have to realize that it's not a scientific reading and it's going to be a more general temperature as thermometers can be affected by various things, (wind, sun, metal) and won't always be 100% precise. These are issues meteorologists have to deal with when locating thermometers in order to get an accurate reading. If the thermometer is placed in sunlight, too hot. If placed attached to metal, this could lead to hot metal affecting the reading. Don't expect a car thermometer to be scientifically correct when it has wind, sun, and other elements to deal with.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts