Jeep Renegade Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
But as I said, first disconnect, check and clean the door loom connector with contact cleaner.
Yes. The voltage/current involved with these sensors is tiny and even a slightly poor connection can have a dramatic effect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Nev I'm looking up Fiat and Alfa forums, but just finding the same issue, not how to replace. See lots of issues at dealerships and possible lemon law. @JeepCares

I checked the wiring connections at the door jam and the mirror (behind the door panel). They look clean and I plug/unplugged them a few times to clean up the connects, nothing. I look at the connectors with a bright light and I can't see any corrosion. Everything is shiny.

I went to Autozone to get a sensor and the guy/computer said that the entire mirror needs to be replaced. Went to the dealership, was told the same thing and laughed at the price.

Cheapest thing I can find so far is this. Mirror with sensor link

Taking the mirror apart, I'm starting to think that the entire mirror will need to be replaced. It's part of the loom for the entire mirror. It be easy enough to replace. My thoughts at the moment is that water and other crud got under the potting and corroded the sensor. Potting is great for keeping humidity away, but the mirror is not that well sealed and there is a lot road junk on the inside of the mirror housing where the sensor is located.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes. The voltage/current involved with these sensors is tiny and even a slightly poor connection can have a dramatic effect.
I plugged and and unplugged several times. Nothing. Does anyone have anything else to recommend? Can I spray something into the connects?

I could read the resistance across the connector at work tomorrow. Does anyone know what the value should be for a new one?

I though about cutting the senors and crossing the wires. Would that do anything? Other than ruin the loom.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unfortunately, the solve on that thread is contact the guy and hope he mails out the part to you. If there are any left. He didn't provide a link or part number for what he bought.

I have a mirror on order that will get here snail mail on the 8th. Plug it in and see if it works. If it does, I'll tinker with the old one to see if I can get it working. If the old one works after tinkering, return the new one.

Nev, I was thinking a small resistor to replace the sensor also. I'll try that when I get the new mirror.

·
Registered
481 Posts
There are dozens of thermistors out there; 10k Type II/Type III, PT100, Balco, Platinum, etc.... In order for your repair to read correctly, you need the right resistance. ANY thermistor will read, but the scaling will be wrong so the values will be wrong. Also, for thermistors there is typically an offset in the computer for calibration. If you want your new sensor to read the exact temperature, that offset needs to be adjusted.

You can rest assured Fiat/Jeep won't release that information.

Additionally, will using a "non-approved" thermistor cause the canbus to go batcrap crazy ? We've all seen/read/experienced what happens with the canbus when you replace speakers/radios, etc..

The higher the technology gets in these vehicles, the less the owner can do in his driveway.

Unfortunately, the only fail-safe repair is to order the costly mirror assembly from the dealer. They got us. Then hope that your sensor reads what you want it to read.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Additionally, will using a "non-approved" thermistor cause the canbus to go batcrap crazy ? We've all seen/read/experienced what happens with the canbus when you replace speakers/radios, etc..
The thermistor will be connected to the door controller module. Not the CANBus.

If you guys wanna drop $300 on a $10 repair, knock yourselves out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Going to give this a try. $0.21 each. If it doesn't work, then I'll order something else. The tolerance is larger and the Beta is a little higher. But my goal. No check engine light, working A/C, working 4WD. Hopefully @JeepCares gets back to me soon too.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
Check engine and 4WD will not be down to the temperature sensor.

Check all your earth straps.

And fusebox connectors. Especially those on the interior one.

Here's an example of an FCA spec Thermistor mounted and ready to install:

http://ricambi.alfisti.net/product_info.php?products_id=10330

More pricey than just the actual thermistor, but heigh-ho.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The thermistor will be connected to the door controller module. Not the CANBus.

If you guys wanna drop $300 on a $10 repair, knock yourselves out.
True, the sensor termination is. But since the OAT sensor is used for controlling the HVAC system and apparently the 4WD system, it's "talking" on the entire system, most likely the canbus.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check Engine Code: P0073 https://www.obd-codes.com/p0073

Step 1:
Purchase a cheap 10K thermistor. The one in the photo cost $0.21/each. Mine is a larger tolerance and higher Beta range, but it is working for my Jeep. This a dumb simple little sensor that should not cost much to replace or be a lot of work. I've read main other forums of people going to dealers and having many issues. Vehicles should not be hard to fix. People should also learn how to be independent of the dealer and fix their own issues.

Step 2:
Remove the cap on the mirror housing, you do not have to remove the mirror from the door. Cut off the OEM sensor wires as soon. The photo shows the sensor out of the mirror housing. This is so I could look at it as I explored options. I did place it back in the housing so that the mirror appeared OEM from the outside and keep the hole in the housing blocked as OEM. If you are doing this, just cut the wires

Step 3:
Attach the thermistor to striped wires where the out sensor was cut off. I did test the thermistor before soldering to make sure it worked. My Jeep is currently reading 2-3 degrees F from surrounding thermometers and weather apps. I would suggest testing the thermistor you get like this to make sure it works for you. Make sure to slip on the heat shrink before soldering.

Step 4: Finish the heat shrinking so that the wires can not touch. I added a larger heat shrink tube over both wires and wrapped it in electrical tape. Ziptied the new sensor to the wiring loom to keep high and dry. This appears to be the cleanest place inside the mirror housing.

Step 5: Clear the engine check code.

This is just my findings and modifications I did. It is up to you figure out what is best to do for your issue. I choice to replace the part with a $0.21 part instead of purchasing a $336 mirror assemble from Jeep. That is what I was quoted at the dealer before labor. Still waiting to hear back about this being covered under warranty, I'm not holding my breath.

Now I have no check engine light and I can use my A/C. Now I have mentioned that 4WD function can be lost and I've seen that in pre 2015 Renegade (which is the older models) videos for P0073 issues. It has not been verified in mine, but I think it is something to watch out for.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
That is ****ed-up that they now use that thermistor (a known problem part for decades) as an input into the engine management system. This hasn't affected engine management function on any previous (FCA) car I've had. Madness.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is ****ed-up that they now use that thermistor (a known problem part for decades) as an input into the engine management system. This hasn't affected engine management function on any previous (FCA) car I've had. Madness.
Believe it. It was probably a rush design job to get this thing to market. The renegade is based off a Fiat chassis, the 500x I believe. If this was purely a re-skin job, all the sensors and technology probably didn't change. It's cheaper and faster, taking very little thought into making the design better.

Time to start saving up and trade this thing in next year. Time to switch back to Volkswagen. An Atlas is looking pretty good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man Im having the same issues you had with the Outside air temp sensor. Just wanted to know if your thermistor fix held up. Still working ok?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Outside Temp Sensor

My renegade is reading the outside temperature sometimes 10 degrees warmer than it is. Today it was 80F but the temp said 94F.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
The outside temp sensor is located at the bottom of the right side view door mirror! Don't ask me why they put it there.Usually the sensor is located in the front. When you are parked the sun heats up the mirror housing and it reads 10 to 15 degrees more!I had readings upto 104 when the outside temp was 90! I took it to the dealer and they ordered a new mirror (as usual you cant just swap the sensor! The entire mirror housing has to be swapped) but it didn't make any difference. Its a design flaw and you have to drive a few minutes until the mirror housing cools down!

ArvindNC

61 - 80 of 88 Posts