Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Solar Yellow 2016 Renegade Latitude on August 24th of 2016. At the time it had 32 miles on it, of which about 15 were my test driving it. I had no issues until January 9th of this year, at approximately 4,000 miles when the check engine light came on the first time. Took to dealer next day, was told it was thermostat/coolant issue, not big deal and they wiped the code out.

4 days later, January13th, the light came back on again. Dealer stated that they could not get me in until yesterday, January 23rd. I dropped off my Renegade for this issue and my first oil change (mileage 4601). I picked up this morning at 10 am, paperwork states malfunction indicator lamp is on, found fault code P0128 logged indicating an issue detected in the thermostat system. Performed software upgrade on the PCM per TSB# 18-061-16.

From the dealer to McDonalds for breakfast to my home was approximately 15 miles. I parked my Jeep and walked over to work from 11:00 until 4:45. At 5:10, as I was taking my daughter to her fathers house, which is approximately 1 mile from the dealership I might add, the light has come back on AGAIN!!!!

What is the layman's definitions of this code? What are the solutions to it, as obviously a software upgrade was not the fix to this issue? Have I purchased the start a big Solar Yellow Lemon, or is this a recall issue??

I purchased a 2003 Jeep Liberty new with 100 miles on it. I never had any major issues with my Liberty in the 13 years I owned it, and I sold it with 213,000 miles on it when I purchased the Renegade, assuming that I would have the same quality and Jeep satisfaction with it as my Liberty. I am now starting to worry...

Any help, thoughts, ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks, Cyndi

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
the jeep is throwing a code for a reason
for them to just wipe the code tells me they did not look into the problem or check the thermostat at all - maybe they just checked the fluid level and called it quits , then cleared the code again !
the code is there for a reason have them check into the problem
print the below code out and bring it to the dealer and show them
and have them show u a printout that all of these were checked - be nice bout it - getting crazy wont get u anywhere
good luck

92% of the time its a failed thermostat

P0128

Indicates that the thermostat monitor has not achieved the required engine operating temperature within a specified amount of time after starting the engine.
Symptoms
Possible causes
- Insufficient warm up time
- Low engine coolant level
- Leaking or stuck open thermostat
- Faulty MAP sensor
- Engine coolant temperature sensor harness is open or shorted
- Engine coolant temperature sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty engine coolant temperature sensor When is the code detected?

Coolant temperature does not reach predicted engine coolant temperature within specific time

If cooling system is not leaking and the fluid level is OK, replacing the thermostat usually takes care of the problem.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
ps do you warm it up enough or just get into it and drive - or does this happen after its been running and warmed up ?

·
Super Moderator
3,386 Posts
Poking around the web for FCA specific logic, it seems that the code is set on a cold start condition (i.e. ambient, engine and coolant temp is withing 50F of each other). IF the engine heats up to 196F faster than the coolant hits 176F, it assumes the thermostat is bad and throws a code. This code takes two trips to fault, and three trips to clear.

If they found coolant levels to be okay, it's probably no big deal except for emissions. Not that it shouldn't be fixed, but it's unlikely to leave you by the side of the road.

That being said, if it is 4wd, try putting it into 4wd. If it says unavailable, add that to your complaint. If not, it means all the grounding issues that can cause the problem are less unlikely because AWD limp mode is pretty sensitive to ground interruptions. Check your outside temp display in the vehicle. Is the value remotely normal? That is essentially the ambient temp mentioned above.

If it is super cold as well, you might give it a 30 second warm up. Super duper cold can get you a pretty lean fuel mix and pretty cold coolant. The lean fuel mix will heat up the engine fast.

It could also just be a bum thermostat or sensor or the wiring to one of the sensors for those three things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's likely a Thermostat stuck open, not closing fully, or faulty and opening prematurely.

I'm surprised the dealership didn't replace the thermostat. It is an easy job and requires minimal work to do.

Feel free to read the whole code data.

http://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0128

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had to take my Renegade in literally 5 times for them to understand that resetting is not a fix!
Apparently the mechanics can't access the internet to research cause and effect...they rely on their dignostic machine that evidently appears non-effective.
5 times!!!!!! ffs

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had the same problem twice bought it in second time they replaced a faulty thermostat for that code it’s been OK ever since

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had my CEL come on out of the blue. Would not go off no matter how many on/off cycles. Took it to the dealer and they got code P0128, faulty thermostat. They replaced the thermostat and coolant and now it's good to go.

Also had to do software updates for the ESC Off light that came on and issues with the radio. Hopefully this is the end of my many issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have a 2017 Renegade. Now it through a P0128 code at 33k miles. I wonder if there is clear cut fix. I understand that the thermostat is a possible cause. But the question is WHY did it fail with only 33k miles?

·
Registered
123 Posts
mine's at the shop with the same and I am wondering the same thing. I should have just done it myself but I would have had to pay for the diagnostic anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the same code now I'm probably going to do it my self does anyone know where it's located ie easy or stupid buried spot

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here, same issue. It’s making me crazy. I see the temperature appear and disappear on my dash. Why isn’t there a recall on this if it is a common problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts