Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a 2021 Renegade Trailhawk, with the Sun/Sound Group option that includes the dual-pane panoramic sunroof.

I don't use the sunroof often; I've only opened it a couple times. Sometimes it works fine and smoothly. But other times the glass sunroof really... well... judders loudly and noticeably while it's opening, particularly for the first few inches. It's kind of alarming.

The tracks seem to be well-greased.

Yes, the Renegade is under warranty, and I intend to bring this up with the dealer when I'm there next. But I was just wondering whether anyone else has noticed this...

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
Try greasing the rubber seal that the rear brackets of the front hatch rubs along as it slides back along the roof. (At least on my MySky that's what makes it judder )

·
Registered
41 Posts
We just bought a 2021 Renegade Trailhawk, with the Sun/Sound Group option that includes the dual-pane panoramic sunroof.

I don't use the sunroof often; I've only opened it a couple times. Sometimes it works fine and smoothly. But other times the glass sunroof really... well... judders loudly and noticeably while it's opening, particularly for the first few inches. It's kind of alarming.

The tracks seem to be well-greased.

Yes, the Renegade is under warranty, and I intend to bring this up with the dealer when I'm there next. But I was just wondering whether anyone else has noticed this...
Same here, '21 Trailhawk. Noticed it on the 2nd day that I had it and I'm hesitant to use it now since my last one had a MySky that was stuck open.

I plan to bring it up with my dealer as well on my first service, still have another 1500mi to go for that.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try greasing the rubber seal that the rear brackets of the front hatch rubs along as it slides back along the roof. (At least on my MySky that's what makes it judder )
Well, I'm not sure the dual-pane panoramic sunroof works quite the same as the MySky. This sunroof lifts up a bit on four supports, then slides straight back. Here's a photo of the rear-left corner of the sunroof with it fully retracted:

It's not real obvious what the rear support slides on, since there's a flat rubber seal that's meant just to keep debris out of the track. You can see that seal is (supposed to be) deformed by the support when the support slides along it (circled). that's not the seal you're talking about, is it?

In the front, things are a bit more visible:

You can see the rubber seal that actually seals out water, outlined in red. But the sunroof doesn't ride on that at all; it only comes down on top of it when in the fully-closed position.

You can also see how well-lubricated things seem to be; that's grease you can see glinting along what I assume are the bearing surfaces...

Same here, '21 Trailhawk. Noticed it on the 2nd day that I had it and I'm hesitant to use it now since my last one had a MySky that was stuck open.
Yeah, I'd read about those problems with the MySky, and that's what scares me too.

I plan to bring it up with my dealer as well on my first service, still have another 1500mi to go for that.
Looks like you're going to be at your dealer before I'm at mine. Please let me know what they say.

By the way, I already wrote that the juddering doesn't happen every time. When it does, it only seems to be during the first couple of inches of travel when opening; and it seems to be coming from the front supports. Same with yours?

·
Super Moderator
2,181 Posts
Yes, it's the debris "seal" in the first picture I'm talking about. I apply silicone grease to the inside edges to stop the juddering.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I'm not sure the dual-pane panoramic sunroof works quite the same as the MySky. This sunroof lifts up a bit on four supports, then slides straight back. Here's a photo of the rear-left corner of the sunroof with it fully retracted:

View attachment 2396351244

It's not real obvious what the rear support slides on, since there's a flat rubber seal that's meant just to keep debris out of the track. You can see that seal is (supposed to be) deformed by the support when the support slides along it (circled). that's not the seal you're talking about, is it?

In the front, things are a bit more visible:

View attachment 2396351245

You can see the rubber seal that actually seals out water, outlined in red. But the sunroof doesn't ride on that at all; it only comes down on top of it when in the fully-closed position.

You can also see how well-lubricated things seem to be; that's grease you can see glinting along what I assume are the bearing surfaces...

Yeah, I'd read about those problems with the MySky, and that's what scares me too.

Looks like you're going to be at your dealer before I'm at mine. Please let me know what they say.

By the way, I already wrote that the juddering doesn't happen every time. When it does, it only seems to be during the first couple of inches of travel when opening; and it seems to be coming from the front supports. Same with yours?
It's taken me 2 months to get to 1500 miles, we'll see who gets to the dealer first :)

It's definitely not every opening and cold/hot weather doesn't seem to be a contributor because it's hit or miss on both. The juddering sound does occur as the pane is raised up but I'd swear the sound is coming from the motor that's pulling it. Whether it's doing that because there's something binding during it's upward motion, I do not know.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it's the debris "seal" in the first picture I'm talking about. I apply silicone grease to the inside edges to stop the juddering.
I'll give that a try.

Though you probably know that your MySky is different than our sunroofs. It looks like the movable panels work similarly -- they lift up, then slide back.

But our sunroofs are glass, therefore much heavier than the MySky panel... I'd expect the mechanism to be modified accordingly...

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Renegade Limited w/ Sun/Sound group
21 Posts
New 2021 Renegade Limited here and the sunroof "judders" the first few inches as well. Our Jeep Compass with a similarly large sunroof is smooth as silk. I planned on mentioning it when I take it in for its first oil change but I guess I'll look at some options on my own since this seems to be a standard issue.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New 2021 Renegade Limited here and the sunroof "judders" the first few inches as well. Our Jeep Compass with a similarly large sunroof is smooth as silk. I planned on mentioning it when I take it in for its first oil change but I guess I'll look at some options on my own since this seems to be a standard issue.
Well, of course, the Compass is an entirely different platform, and I suspect the sunroof isn't an identical design.

What other options are you thinking of? Keep us apprised...

One things is to make sure we-all document the issue with our dealers. That way, if the sunroof finally fails, we'll have a record of when the issue started...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, my 2021 renegade limited had the same juddering issue. I brought the car in to the shop because the heated seats are tepid and mentioned the sunroof issue. When the dealership tested the sunroof out it completely broke. Not repairable. Needs to be replaced. They said it was the clips. My car has 3500 miles. I have already had it in the shop for not being able to turn it off, battery not charging, sunroof and heat seat issues. Its getting a bit ridiculous.
Thank God its a lease.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, my 2021 renegade limited had the same juddering issue.
Is your sunroof the MySky (with removable panels), or the Dual-Pane Panoramic Sunroof? Seems to be a huge difference as far as durability and reliability, with the MySky having the issues.

Mine fortunately is the Panoramic Sunroof. I'm now thinking the "juddering" when opening is normal, as the mechanism lifts the sunroof.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is your sunroof the MySky (with removable panels), or the Dual-Pane Panoramic Sunroof? Seems to be a huge difference as far as durability and reliability, with the MySky having the issues.

Mine fortunately is the Panoramic Sunroof. I'm now thinking the "juddering" when opening is normal, as the mechanism lifts the sunroof.
Hi all.
I just got my panoramic sunroof stuck in open position...:( It's just doesn't close. When i push the button it starts the engine but gets stuck. Just bought it. Has 1000 km. Any ideea why?
I will go to dealer tomorrow, hopefully can make it work, I am supposed to leave in holliday with the car...:(
Thanks

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all.
I just got my panoramic sunroof stuck in open position...:( It's just doesn't close. When i push the button it starts the engine but gets stuck. Just bought it. Has 1000 km. Any ideea why?
I will go to dealer tomorrow, hopefully can make it work, I am supposed to leave in holliday with the car...:(
Thanks
Welcome! You're in Romania?

Is yours the MySky Sunroof, with the removable panels? Or the Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof; that opens, but with no removable panels?

I think it's a critical distinction. Mine is the Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof, that seems to have far fewer problems than the MySky....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, my 2021 renegade limited had the same juddering issue. I brought the car in to the shop because the heated seats are tepid and mentioned the sunroof issue. When the dealership tested the sunroof out it completely broke. Not repairable. Needs to be replaced. They said it was the clips. My car has 3500 miles. I have already had it in the shop for not being able to turn it off, battery not charging, sunroof and heat seat issues. Its getting a bit ridiculous.
Thank God its a lease.
Welcome!

Is yours the MySky Sunroof, with the removable panels? Or the Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof; that opens, but with no removable panels?

I think it's a critical distinction. Mine is the Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof, that seems to have far fewer problems than the MySky....
Is a Dual Pane panoramic sunroof. It was very cold last night...maybe it has something to do with it. But was 2 degree Celsius :) when I opend it.. So no ice...still raining... Stupid me...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is a Dual Pane panoramic sunroof.
OK... I've never heard of any serious issues with the Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroofs, other than the "juddering" noise and vibration just while they're opening and raising (like mine still does).

I'd love to hear what your dealers says. Is your Renegade still under warranty?

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK... I've never heard of any serious issues with the Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroofs, other than the "juddering" noise and vibration just while they're opening and raising (like mine still does).

I'd love to hear what your dealers says. Is your Renegade still under warranty?
Yes. Is from 06.2021. :) I will call the dealer to see if they are working these days. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's interesting. There must be drains in the channels to get rid of water. Or did packed snow turn into ice...?

Anyway, good to know for us Two Pane Panoramic Sunroof owners...

Glad you got it fixed!
It was raining yesterday, no snow and in the morning was very cold, all car was full of ice, but during the day warmed up and when I opened was like 2 degrees. I didn't imagine it will get stuck.
Thanks God I can leave with it tomorrow :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts