Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
We've just got our Renegade and absolutely love it (2019 Longitude).
We have noticed that taking the parcel / cargo shelf in and out is quite tight and fiddly due to the relatively narrow width of the boot / trunk.

Any tips?

We're about to order a dog guard and at the moment can only get the shelf on and off using the space over the rear seats to turn it... which would be blocked by the dog guard you see. So I'm just looking to gather some tips so I don't order the wrong one 馃榿

Many thanks and nice to meet you all,
Mike.

Super Moderator
I've left mine off since fitting the dog grill.
Tinted hatch glass and the dog's black plushie blanket means no one can see anything I leave in the boot.

Registered
Welcome!

I do a lot of removing and reinstalling the parcel shelf for when we go camping (2021 Trailhawk).

It is tight getting it out of there. But the technique is to 1) pop the cords off the upper support screws; 2) pop out the two side hinges by pulling backward; and 3) tilt the shelf left-side down, right-side up to ease it out of the cargo area. Not a problem, but you do have to fiddle with it a tiny bit. Fortunately the shelf is feather-light.

Reinstallation is the opposite.

Super Moderator
Here is the manufacturer who makes the official dog guards for many of the Fiat/Jeep models:

They attach to the rear headrests and are a outer tube frame with either horizontal tube bars or a nylon meshing.

Not sure if you can source them in the US ...

I've had two and they are really robust and easy to take on/put back once the headrest brackets are mounted.

Super Moderator
My shelf is wider to the rear and cannot be removed with the dog barrier in place. Unless you loosen the barrier and fold the rear seats forward a ways.

Super Moderator

I don't have the car still, but here's the shelf!

Super Moderator
If you're in the UK, Mike, you can find Ergotech dog barriers on Amazon.co.uk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again. I'll have a good fiddle around with the shelf before I order anything to make sure I'm happy :)

Registered
Hi everyone,
We have noticed that taking the parcel / cargo shelf in and out is quite tight and fiddly due to the relatively narrow width of the boot / trunk.

Any tips?

We're about to order a dog guard and at the moment can only get the shelf on and off using the space over the rear seats to turn it... which would be blocked by the dog guard you see. So I'm just looking to gather some tips so I don't order the wrong one 馃榿

Mike.
If its like the renegade better get rid of it asap. Transmission issues and will happen 61000 miles and can't help you

Registered
If its like the renegade better get rid of it asap. Transmission issues and will happen 61000 miles and can't help you
What are you, the Jeep Prophet ??

My 2017 tranny has 88,000 miles on it without a hiccup.

I'll save you some time:
Post from Eric1981 -
"They're coming, believe me. Get rid of it while you can".

I beat you to it....

I am the true Jeep Prophet.

Registered
Hi everyone,

Any tips?

Mike.
must be a UK thing, my 2020 trailhawk doesn't have one.

Registered
must be a UK thing, my 2020 trailhawk doesn't have one.
I think they come standard overseas, basically everywhere but here. Here in the U.S. they have to be special ordered before delivery. If you decide to add it after the fact, to make it "factory", you need to order BOTH interior side panels (BIG $$$) so you have the needed "pins" for the cover to hinge upon, in addition to the cargo cover and all related cables. mounts and assorted. A lotta coin.

There is a work around for not needing the interior panels, but not if you want the factory look. Still, a lot of dough for a simple cover.

Why this is ? No one knows....

Registered
I think they come standard overseas, basically everywhere but here. Here in the U.S. they have to be special ordered before delivery.
We're all talking about the same thing, right?

Nobody asked whether we wanted the rear shelf on our 2021 Trailhawk. It was just there, standard. Makes sense, if you don't want people peering in and seeing what you've got in the cargo compartment.

I don't see it listed as part of either optional package we got; and it's not mentioned on the sticker as either Standard or Optional Equipment.

Though it may be model year- or trim-specific. I do see "If Equipped" in the Owner's Manual.

* edit * Actually, I do see it in the sales brochure for 2021, listed as "Tonneau cover." Standard on Limited and Trailhawk; but not listed (not even available) on Latitude or Sport. So I guess that answers that...

Registered
I think they come standard overseas, basically everywhere but here. Here in the U.S. they have to be special ordered before delivery. If you decide to add it after the fact, to make it "factory", you need to order BOTH interior side panels (BIG $$$) so you have the needed "pins" for the cover to hinge upon, in addition to the cargo cover and all related cables. mounts and assorted. A lotta coin.

There is a work around for not needing the interior panels, but not if you want the factory look. Still, a lot of dough for a simple cover.

Why this is ? No one knows....
Thanks! I just found that out. It seems it's a South America?Mexico option

Super Moderator
It's a non-cost option everywhere except North America? (We get the wind deflector for MySky for gratis too.)

Registered
If you decide to add it after the fact, to make it "factory", you need to order BOTH interior side panels (BIG $$$) so you have the needed "pins" for the cover to hinge upon
I just went out and checked. Amazingly enough, the two pins, that the shelf hinges on, are molded into the inside "quarter panels" of my 2021 Trailhawk. That's just weird, that they though they wanted to make completely different panels. You'd think it would be cheaper to just design pins that could clip in, after removing small dummy covers in the panels. Maybe they figured they needed the strength...

Of course, my Trailhawk, with the upgraded stereo system, has a specific right-side panel behind which sits, I assume, the Kenwood amplifier...

Registered
I just went out and checked. Amazingly enough, the two pins, that the shelf hinges on, are molded into the inside "quarter panels" of my 2021 Trailhawk. That's just weird, that they though they wanted to make completely different panels. You'd think it would be cheaper to just design pins that could clip in, after removing small dummy covers in the panels. Maybe they figured they needed the strength...

Of course, my Trailhawk, with the upgraded stereo system, has a specific right-side panel behind which sits, I assume, the Kenwood amplifier...
My 2020 looks like it has plugs where the pins would go. If you get a chance could you post a photo? I would like to show it to a dealer so he doesn't think I'm crazy :)

Registered
My 2020 looks like it has plugs where the pins would go. If you get a chance could you post a photo? I would like to show it to a dealer so he doesn't think I'm crazy :)
Look closely; those aren't plugs/covers for the pins. That's a engraved circle shape where the pins "would've" been. The actual pins are molded into the panel, it's not something you can buy from the dealer and install.

However, there is a guy on eBay that sells pins you can install in that engraved circle by drilling a hole in the center of that circle. Not exactly an easy task, but it can be done.

Registered
Here's a photo of the left-side pin on my 2021 Trailhawk.

Mud Pie is right -- while it looks like that first thin flange on top of the textured panel is a round cover that the pin is attached to, it's not. It's all (pin and flange) solid and one piece with the plastic quarter panel.

While it may be possible to screw a pin into your panel, I'd wonder how solid it would all be...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts