Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "discovered" a nice feature, probably related to hill-hold the other day. It is a manual hill-hold like thing, when you are in drive and set the parking brake, it will engage. But as soon as you touch the gas pedal, it dis-engages right away. Great when at a long traffic light. I must have missed this in the owners manual.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I "discovered" a nice feature, probably related to hill-hold the other day. It is a manual hill-hold like thing, when you are in drive and set the parking brake, it will engage. But as soon as you touch the gas pedal, it dis-engages right away. Great when at a long traffic light. I must have missed this in the owners manual.
This is actually a super helpful post, because I had no idea about this and ran into this problem being at a stoplight on a hill yesterday. Someone pulled up a little too close to me and I almost rolled into them. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
You can set the parking brake to come on automatically whenever you shut off the engine (might be when you put it in park on an auto). When you start up again, the parking brake stays on until you release the clutch...for me, the brake could release faster, as it stays on until the clutch is engaging and sometimes it feels like I'm sliding the clutch a bit harder than I like to. Also, your seatbelt has to be on...

I usually release it manually--but you have to have your foot on the brake to do so. Ah, safety interlocks :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've manually set the brake on my manual Renegade a couple times on hills to act as a hill hold when the slope wasn't quite 5 degrees, which is where the automatic hill hold activates. When the clutch is released, it the parking brake doesn't release quite as quickly as the automatic hill hold does, but it's still acceptable to me, and I wouldn't imagine it's as rough on the clutch as rolling backwards while slipping it would be.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The Hill Assist feture, (what I referred to as "automatic hill hold") is actually separate from the electronic parking brake. It doesn't use the e-brake at all, rather it maintains pressure in the main braking system for a few seconds, or until it detects forward motion (or rearward motion if in reverse.) It activates at inclines of 5 degrees or more.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The Hill Assist feture, (what I referred to as "automatic hill hold") is actually separate from the electronic parking brake. It doesn't use the e-brake at all, rather it maintains pressure in the main braking system for a few seconds, or until it detects forward motion (or rearward motion if in reverse.) It activates at inclines of 5 degrees or more.
Right, thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.