Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else had a daytime running light go out? I'm at 23.5k miles and my daytime running light went out a couple days ago. Then yesterday, I got a message in the dash while driving that the "parking light" is out. After looking through the owners manual and playing with it a little, I still can't decide if the parking light is the same as the daytime running. It looks like it is, but why would there be two messages for the same bulb and why would they not appear at the same time? Haven't had time to pull the bulbs yet since it requires opening the flap by the wheel, so it could be a dirty contact, but this seems a little soon for bulbs to be burning out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Has anyone else had a daytime running light go out? I'm at 23.5k miles and my daytime running light went out a couple days ago. Then yesterday, I got a message in the dash while driving that the "parking light" is out. After looking through the owners manual and playing with it a little, I still can't decide if the parking light is the same as the daytime running. It looks like it is, but why would there be two messages for the same bulb and why would they not appear at the same time? Haven't had time to pull the bulbs yet since it requires opening the flap by the wheel, so it could be a dirty contact, but this seems a little soon for bulbs to be burning out.

All it takes is a dodgy bulb. Dunno how long the bulbs were kicking around before they were used. On one occasion I bought some spark plugs for my motorbike and two of them were faulty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I replaced the bulb with a sylvania 7528 which is supposedly compatible and now the error message is intermittent. I noticed the bulb wasn't the exact specs as the original, 6w instead of 5w, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. Has anyone experienced problems with replacing the bulb? The light is more off than on.

·
Registered
367 Posts
6W won't make any difference.
Pain in the bum, I know, but it may be worth swapping the bulb from side to side to see if the problem follows the bulb.
Also double check to see if it is inserted correctly :)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
. . . I noticed the bulb wasn't the exact specs as the original, 6w instead of 5w, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. . .
That could make a difference. The current draw is about 20% more with the 6W bulb. Many of today's car computer systems are sensitive to such changes.

Try a bulb from the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on this, tried getting a bulb from the dealer and they couldn't find the part number anywhere even when I handed them the manual and said "look it's p21/5w." Waited a week for it to come in because they didn't have any in stock and when I go to pick it up, sure enough, they ordered the wrong bulb. So here I am still driving with one light out and annoying error messages that pop up and go away then repeat every 30 seconds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I doubt anyone is following this since no one is replying but incase someone else is running into the same issue, here's the latest. Finally ordered the correct bulb online installed it and now the parking/daytime running on that side won't even come on. I'm hoping it's just a loose wire but I'm going to have to take it in because I'm tired of messing with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you! Mostly Just putting the information out there incase anyone else is experiencing the same issue. Weirdly when I turn on the right blinker (it's the right daytime running light that is out) the error messages go away and as soon as the blinker is off they come back. I'll stop spamming my own thread now until I can take it in and update with a solution

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get this fixed? I just bought a 2015 used renegade and have this issue. Also anyone know what the cover in the wheelbase to access the bulbs is called? My screws are pretty stripped and I want to order New ones. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Renegade trailhawk and am having the same issue. Parking light out then driving light out! GRRRRRR. I have had it to the dealer and to the local shop and it keeps going out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem but am having a hard time finding a new socket it think that is the problem is there a better way to look for it besides the p21/w5 ?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm having this same issue as we speak. Last night I pulled out the light form the other side as well as the plug for it and switched it to the side that is out and it all worked. I then used the plug for that side and the light that works on the out side and it worked as well but the light that is out did not work on the other side so it is the bulb. I'm going to get another one today and see if that fixes it. Seems like every time I get an oil change I ask them to replace these stupid lights. They should not be burning out this frequently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a two pack of P21/5 on AZ and they seem to work just fine. Bought the Hella branded ones bc Hella's are bad*ss and remind me of growing up in foggy dreary Sweden where everyone had the big grill fog lights with Hella covers on them... Anyway. 7506 or whatever will FIT but they're not the same as a P21/5. Just my experience YMMV

·
Registered
172 Posts
No I am using the 7528LL from autozone. I do not see the P21/5 on AZ do you have a link?

·
Super Moderator
1,483 Posts
I got the intermittent DRL/Parking light warning for the last two weeks on the nearside light.

It was definitely going out as I stopped to check it a couple of times.

So I opened the service hatch/flap in the wheel arch and disconnected the whole lampholder for close inspection.

The contacts were bent and the solder bumps on the bulb had large gouges/bits missing.

I reset the contacts with pliers and swapped the bulb.

So far no errors this week.

I think I damaged the bulb and contacts when I last changed the bulb by putting the bulb in the wrong way.

The bulb bayonet pins are at different heights but because of the cheapness of the lamp holder, it can be forced in the wrong way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts