Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
to revisit this thread in 2020. I bought a pre-owned 2015 renegade that was a trade in for a larger vehicle, it's in great condition. Drove it off of the dealership lot and later that night i got the warning about this exact issue, DRL and Parking light out. 5 days later (getting a service appointment is bit more challenging with covid) the warning is suddenly gone and the lights are working. I didnt touch or change anything (?) im guessing this is more of an electrical issue rather than bulb issue?

·
Super Moderator
2,286 Posts
I'd change the bulbs for a quality brand and remove and check the bulb holders while at it.

Also apply silicon grease the rubber seals too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought an off-lease 2016 Altitude with 14K miles. I had the same issue with daytime running light and parking light going out on my test drive. The dealer replaced the entire DRL unit after trying to replace the bulbs. About two weeks later, the same DRL went out during a roadtrip. It will come on if I give it a tap, but goes out again pretty quickly. Taking it back to the dealer for servicing but seems like something is loose in the unit.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
I had an intermittent fault with my DRLs after changing them to Canbus error free white LEDs. After about 1 year the error fault started showing on the dashboard. Further investigation revealed that the LEDs had partially burnt out. Replacing them back to the basic bulbs solved it and I have had no issues since.

If you search my topics and replies you will find the pictures I provided.

Hopefully it is something so simple and easy that has been overlooked just like I did with the bulbs.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Just bought an off-lease 2016 Altitude with 14K miles. I had the same issue with daytime running light and parking light going out on my test drive. The dealer replaced the entire DRL unit after trying to replace the bulbs. About two weeks later, the same DRL went out during a roadtrip. It will come on if I give it a tap, but goes out again pretty quickly. Taking it back to the dealer for servicing but seems like something is loose in the unit.
Hi Jerry,
Thanks for sharing this concern here - If you would like our additional assistance while working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message!

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 has been to the dealer 5 times now for this. They have replaced some computer module, a brake switch, and my husband has cleaned the connection, put dielectric grease on it, and yet it continues. Sometimes the bulb is out, sometimes it isn’t. It says parking light out, daytime running light out, and was saying back up light was out (when it wasn’t). My check engine light randomly came on during this time also. I am at my wits end with this. Any ideas??? I love this vehicle but I’m about ready to throw in the towel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone else had a daytime running light go out? I'm at 23.5k miles and my daytime running light went out a couple days ago. Then yesterday, I got a message in the dash while driving that the "parking light" is out. After looking through the owners manual and playing with it a little, I still can't decide if the parking light is the same as the daytime running. It looks like it is, but why would there be two messages for the same bulb and why would they not appear at the same time? Haven't had time to pull the bulbs yet since it requires opening the flap by the wheel, so it could be a dirty contact, but this seems a little soon for bulbs to be burning out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone else had a daytime running light go out? I'm at 23.5k miles and my daytime running light went out a couple days ago. Then yesterday, I got a message in the dash while driving that the "parking light" is out. After looking through the owners manual and playing with it a little, I still can't decide if the parking light is the same as the daytime running. It looks like it is, but why would there be two messages for the same bulb and why would they not appear at the same time? Haven't had time to pull the bulbs yet since it requires opening the flap by the wheel, so it could be a dirty contact, but this seems a little soon for bulbs to be burning out.
Mine just started today
Dash say parking light out
My light just came on today

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My 2015 has been to the dealer 5 times now for this. They have replaced some computer module, a brake switch, and my husband has cleaned the connection, put dielectric grease on it, and yet it continues. Sometimes the bulb is out, sometimes it isn’t. It says parking light out, daytime running light out, and was saying back up light was out (when it wasn’t). My check engine light randomly came on during this time also. I am at my wits end with this. Any ideas??? I love this vehicle but I’m about ready to throw in the towel.
It's been so long since I posted about this I had forgotten about it completely. I believe I replaced the bulb and it still said it wasn't working so I took it in under warranty and they replaced a faulty connector or wiring. I didn't see the wire but they said it had come from the factory damaged or crimped if I'm remembering correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
It's a 5 minute job to replace the bulbs.

Don't even worry about unscrewing the plastic screws that hold the flap closed.

Turn the wheel for better access and use a small plastic prybar or a large flat head screwdriver to pry out the screw then remove it fully with pliers.

Change the bulb.

Close the flap and then push the plastic screws back into place.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After the first light was replaced, I now have this issue. They replaced another bulb which lasted about four days. So my wiring or bulb socket is screwed up? Does anyone have the fix? 2015TH

I have a 2015 Renegade trailhawk and am having the same issue. Parking light out then driving light out! GRRRRRR. I have had it to the dealer and to the local shop and it keeps going out.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
It's worthwhile carrying 2 standard DRL bulbs in the glove compartment. If the LEDS fail then simply replace them in under 10 minutes with your "spare" standard bulbs. No errors, no codes just a simple yellow glow from the bulb and everything working as intended.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having this same issue as we speak. Last night I pulled out the light form the other side as well as the plug for it and switched it to the side that is out and it all worked. I then used the plug for that side and the light that works on the out side and it worked as well but the light that is out did not work on the other side so it is the bulb. I'm going to get another one today and see if that fixes it. Seems like every time I get an oil change I ask them to replace these stupid lights. They should not be burning out this frequently.
I’m having this problem with the right parking, DRL. I had it in to the shop 3 or 4 times. They replaced the socket, still did’nt fix the problem. I discovered that slapping the fender would get the light to come back on, indicating to me a bad connection. The last time I did this it came on and seemed a little righter! I’ve driven it 3 times since and it’s still working. Keeping fingers crossed. The last time I had it in the shop they put some grease on the contacts. It went out before I got home.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
No issues here with the correct bulbs.

A cotton bud soon dried out the condensation and a little vaseline around the "O" ring lubricated the ring till it expanded and properly sealed against the outer rim.

Guys, put your childish minds to rest :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2018 Latitude
4 Posts
I've got a 2018 Renegade Latitude that I've replaced the dual filament P21/5W bulb for my Daytime Running Light (driver side) three times now in less than a year.

I used a HELLA bulb each time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079SNXR6D/

It went out a fourth time. I finally looked closer at everything and noticed the bulb connections this time really looked melted and there seems to be some spark damage on one of the socket's contacts. Previously I do not recall the bulb contacts so obviously damaged. I'm assuming the socket is the problem and it appears to be getting worse. I'd be okay with cleaning it, but the contacts seem pretty hard to get access to and I'm assuming it would mostly be a futile effort. I would like to just replace the socket entirely.

Unfortunately finding this dual filament socket is proving to be harder than expected.

I've mistakenly purchased a 68285062AA already, but that turned out to be a single filament socket. No matter the parts site I try to look through online (why are there 100+ variants of mopar parts sites... ugh) no parts list makes it clear. But they all seem to just point to the single filament socket. I've tried every combination of "p21/5w", "socket", and "jeep" I can think of. My google-fu has failed me.

You guys might be my last hope. Has anyone found this socket or have any pointers on how to find it?

Automotive tire Finger Rim Household hardware Automotive wheel system
Hand Fluid Finger Nail Electric blue

21 - 40 of 74 Posts