Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-

Last September, I replaced my burnt out headlights with an equivalent from Napa. Just last Wednesday, I realized that my passenger headlight was burnt out. Today, I finally had time to go back to Napa to inquire about the warranty on the bulbs I bought. The Napa employee helped me, and after seeing the "burnt out" bulb, he told me to check my connector. So, I go check on it and find that the plug/wiring is absolutely fried (see picture)! He suggested going to the Jeep dealership that I got my Renegade from. I go there and talk to the Service Department and the guy told me that Chrysler will not provide a warranty because it was an aftermarket bulb. Has anyone seen/heard of this problem occurring in their Renegade or anyone else's? I just am frustrated that it will be nearly $1000 if I go back to the dealership to fix the issue! Any advice would be great!

·
Super Moderator
1,514 Posts
Hello and welcome!

How old is the car?
What kind of bulb? Was it all in spec?
By after market do they mean non-dealer purchase?!

I'd want to know why it overheated and/or shorted.
If the dealer isn't playing ball is there a good independent garage/electrician you can trust to do the work?

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
245 Posts
Like @Nev said, you don’t always have to take the dealerships expensive route. You may be able to order the plug(s) online and wire them in yourself for a minimal fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Maybe the connection was not tight. That would create higher resistance at the pins and cause them to overheat. If I were Jeep, I wouldn't cover that kind of thing either.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I'd want to know why it overheated and/or shorted.
Nev's thought was my first thought. Get that investigated immediately and then worry about what to do with the damage.

There was 1 other similar case that I can recall on the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts