Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Passive Entry Warning

59K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  crazycassie7 
#1 ·
I did a search for this and was surprised nothing came up. So the "Service Passive Entry System" warning just started. I googled it several times and can never get an accurate answer on cause or fix. It is scheduled to go into the Jeep dealer in a few days but curious if anyone had any insight.
Thanks

#9 ·
I took my Jeep Renegade to Jim Doran Jeep dealership in McMinnville because I was getting a Passive Entry System error message. Jeep passive entry system was working. Just an error message. Jim Doran diagnosed the problem for $65 and said they would have to download a software update that would cost me another 1/2 hours time and then would not guarantee the update that came out more than three years ago would fix the problem. I had already researched the issue online and the software update, a standard answer for jeep dealerships, does not fix the problem of the passive entry system error message. The I came across this forum which advised disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery and waiting one minute to reconnect. This immediately fixed the problem and the passive entry system error message has been fixed. Jeep dealership still claims this is impossible, even after I showed them the proof.

#10 ·
Dealerships don't want us to know that it's an easy fix. We are taking the money off their dinner tables and making their kids go hungry :eek:😂😂😂

Who knows how many unscrupulous Dealerships/garages are out there doing the exact same thing that we do but charge you a fortune under the pretence that they are downloading and fixing the issue.

#17 ·
Having same issue. 3rd visit to jeep and im getting a run around. So frustrating. Havent even made a payment yet. Replaced batteries. Disconnected the car battery. The dealership left my car muddy. Even tried to get in at a different jeep dealer and the guy told me he would have to start all over blah blah blah. As a lifetime jeep owner (this is 7th one!) Thinking it may be time to switch.

#20 ·
After replacing the battery is the end of key fob not the part where the key pulls out but the other end. Press the start button with the end of the key fob, it makes theRFID reconnect and recognize that the battery has been replaced. And the message should disappear. Hope this helps!

#21 ·
So this appears to be a yet ongoing problem. Freaked out when it happened to me a couple of hours ago. Ran across this site (Google is the Beast) and found the post regarding removing the negative battery terminal with the quick release grey tab to be spot on point. Left off for one minute. Reconnected and it started right up. Saved me a drained battery cause it was stuck in Accessory mode and would surely have been dead by morning. Saving me possibly more costs in towing and repair. Question is why is this this an issue after so many years 😳

#24 ·
I have a 2017 Jeep Renegade with 21K miles (yes, I have low mileage). The Service Passive Entry System message popped up on my dashboard, the dealer ask that I bring it in for diagnostic $189.00, so I looked it up on line and found this forum. I read through all the troubleshooting, the best that worked for me was remove the negative battery for a few minutes (these cars are computerized) to reboot the system and it work. It won't be the key fob battery because I've experience that a few years back, which has a notification indicator of its own. another option was to start the car, without having it run... but that option didn't work for me. Thank you for this forum and for the person who said "think people, think, these cars are computerized---- reboot! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.