Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's mind boggling how much oil can be sucked into the combustion chamber through the PCV system.
Is the amount of oil caught equal to amount of oil you have to top up???

·
Registered
132 Posts
i used two catch cans on my cobra and very little oil was captured in the cans. imo it was a waste of $200.00. lucky if one ounce of oil collected between oil changes

·
Registered
55 Posts
i used two catch cans on my cobra and very little oil was captured in the cans. imo it was a waste of $200.00. lucky if one ounce of oil collected between oil changes
The only time it would catch a lot of oil would be if you had a) really bad blowby, and thus increased crankcase pressure, or b) you spend a lot of time in high RPM's such as on a track and do so very frequently.

·
Registered
132 Posts
so true, i do not think these 2.4l have much blow by, just VERY thin oil to make sure the valve solenoids work properly. i have checked compression on my 2.4l all ok when i was having a problem. was probably valve guides as my shop stated.
i always used mobil one synthetic when racing. shift point at 6700rpms

·
Super Moderator
3,335 Posts
The only time it would catch a lot of oil would be if you had a) really bad blowby, and thus increased crankcase pressure, or b) you spend a lot of time in high RPM's such as on a track and do so very frequently.
I suspect that turbos will increase your catch, and that today's low viscosity oils may mean more blow-by. But yeah, on circa 1990s vehicles I seldom saw more than a few tablespoons of stuff trapped every oil change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts