Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I promised an in-depth review of my Jeep Renegade Sport 4x4 Manual 1.4 and the alterations I have done to it thus far. I purchased my Jeep Renegade on May 2nd, and have already put 2500 miles on it :D. I can say I have pushed it's limits and it has not disappointed (for the most part). I will try and keep this short and sweet.

Cross Bars...
My Jeep Renegade Sport did not come with rails, as ordering the factory rails would of cost an excess of $800, plus any additional cross bars I would want to order. Thankfully I opted for the DIY cross bars, and thanks to another member on this forum, I was able to find a package of Thule Cross Bars that would bolt directly to the roof of the car (after a few minor alterations to the rubber sleeve). This saved me a lot of money and it turned out quite good. The rubber tubing I placed over it was to help with transporting my Kayaks 1k miles, but I have yet to decide whether to leave them on or not.

Day Star 1.5" lift kit...
I am fortunate enough to live near Madness Autowork's shops in California, so they ordered and installed the Day Star lift kit for me, and ensured I had the new powder coated brackets. I explained to them i would be taking the Jeep to Colorado for the summer where I work, and they suggested getting everything tightened down when I get there. I did not, and because of that (or maybe due to another reason), my sway bar became loose on an off-road trail near Crystal Mill in CO. Had to turn around only about half a mile into the trail to get it checked out. Will be returning maybe today or tomorrow, but without the Day Star lift kit I probably would of had some damage done to the Renegade. It also allowed me to install bigger tires and give the Jeep a better look. Other than the sway bar coming loose which may or may not have been related, I am happy with it thus far.

Wheel Spacers...
Not much to say other than get them! Puts the stock tire in a location that looks more fluid with the rest of the vehicle rather than the Renegade having chicken leg syndrome. Also allows for bigger tires.

Madness ECM w/ Bluetooth...
Once again, being near Madness it was an easy decision to have them install the ECM. I was hesitant and didn't think the performance would be significant, but I assure you this adds a noticeable difference to the performance of the vehicle. As with most turbo charged vehicles, you feel it punch hard around 2500 RPMS. Of course I wish it had more power under 2500, but once there it will throw you back in the seat. From starting at 2500 RPMS in second gear I kept right behind my buddies Ford Raptor. Needless to say he was pretty pissed, especially since he has been giving me nothing but **** for buying a Renegade. Now he has grown to like it. Of course the increase in performance might hurt me down the road, but for now it seems to run fine and healthy, and gives the Renegade the power it should of had at stock. The bluetooth is sort of useless, and unless it was able to read boost and take other readings, I would say don't get the bluetooth.

Blow Off Adapter Plate...
I used to own a Dodge Neon SRT-4 with a blow off adapter that to this day was louder than anything I have heard on the road. Once I learned there was an adapter for my renegade that Madness had in stock, of course it was an easy decision to have them throw that in my vehicle along with the ECM and lift kit. The whoosh sound is music to my ears, and has caused a lot of confused faces from people as you wouldn't expect this vehicle to make that noise. Hilarious and a ton of fun. If you are into that sort of thing, I would definitely get one!

Undermount Receiver Hitch...
Ordered this from Renegade Ready and it was delivered in a very reasonably time-frame. Installation took about 2 hours with a second pair of hands, but overall was pretty straightforward. Shortly after installing it I towed a Sea Doo and dirt bike 1k miles without issue. Even towed my buddies lifted Land Cruiser a few blocks after it broke down. Seems to be holding up ok. I debated between the in-bumper set up or the undermount and decided to go with the undermount because it was cheaper, and although it gives the Renegade less departure it will protect it until I can get some proper skid plates.

Cooper Discoverer STT Pros 225/75/16...
One advantage of the non-trailhawk version of the Renegade other than offering a manual transmission is the black steel 16" rims which are far better suited to install AT or Mud Tires than the rims equipped on the trailhawk. I was debating over the General Grabber AT2s and these. Although I was extremely happy with the General Grabbers on my Nissan Xterra, I decided on the Coopers because they were brand new with better tech and gave the Renegade a boost in curb appeal and aggressiveness. The only reason i would of chose the Grabbers is concern over road noise, but after researching the coopers everyone was in agreement that road noise was on par if not better than most AT tires, and for a mud tire were quiet. I can confirm this is the case, and although there is a pretty significant difference from the stock tires to these, they make no more noise than my AT2s I had on my Xterra. I have not been able to test these out fully, but thus far they have been great. I will do my best to get out there and try to find a challenge for these tires. Once again I would highly recommend these tires...HOWEVER... Be aware that there is a slight bit of rubbing when the tire is turned about 3/4 of the way. There is a bit of excess frame that sticks out and is an easy cut. There are tutorials online to remove this piece, but once again it is pretty straight forward with the proper tools.

OVERALL...
Very happy with my Jeep Renegade! These were the necessary upgrades I needed to install which is why I call this Phase One. There will be additional hardware installed when it is released, and I am also working on trying to find skit plates for the Renegade. I was able to see Madness prototype Jeep Renegade and the bull bar they plan on producing looks way better than Daystar's attempt at one. They also will be producing bigger fender flares which looked great as well and can't wait for those to hit the store.

While there are a few annoyances with the vehicle, it has surprised everyone including myself and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. If anyone is near Glenwood Springs CO this summer shoot me a message! I will do my best to take pictures out on the trails

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dude those tires look beast. I am impressed. Good to hear another happy ECM customer out there. I am picking up the BlueSpark ECM next week. Also getting me some Hankook Dynapro AT-M 225/70/16, not willing to deal with frame mods this early in the game, they also have a sick foot print, and they extra load rated.

Also in CO, All about camping in the summer and my friends own the Donut shop in Glennwood Springs.

Cheers

Ryan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My buddy Mike who is a sheriff for the county just took me to a donut shop that opened up recently. Was probably the one! Let me know if you are ever out this way and want to hit up a trail or anything. I work as a whitewater guide for the summer and am always looking for paddlers in my free time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My buddy Mike who is a sheriff for the county just took me to a donut shop that opened up recently. Was probably the one! Let me know if you are ever out this way and want to hit up a trail or anything. I work as a whitewater guide for the summer and am always looking for paddlers in my free time.
Thanks brotha and will do. Thats sounds great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.