Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX with a Maestro-RR.

Install was pretty straight forward, retains all gauges and AC control etc, plus more, I could not find a cable that converts Mini USB to USB-C, so for now the USB cable from the Pioneer is hanging out in the Metra pocket. I used the Jeep factory mic location, just covered the top of the mic with some foam to minimize road noise, it works great.

I did want at least the Jeep USB 's to have power, mainly for the rear, I had an old 12v to 5v converter that was used for some LED lights my daughter had in her car, so tapped into the 12v outlet next to the USB pod to give them power.

I know some people won't like how it looks, but I love it and think it looks great, attached a couple of pics.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L (Former Vehicle)
741 Posts
Awesome! I dig it! I bet it’s a whole lot easier reaching for the touch screen now as well. Glad to know the Maestro stuff works to retain OEM features.

How do you like the volume buttons over a knob?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LoL. Yes it is, I havnt used the volume buttons yet, I either use the buttons on the back of the steering wheel or the volume knob, muscle memory I guess.

The integrated Alexa is fantastic, just drive upto the house and be like Alexa open the garage lol, and the wireless Android Auto works fantastic, radios have come way in the last few years.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I didn’t realize you can have voice controls such as that in a car. I’d assume you could even have the house lights turn on as well. Pretty soon you’ll probably be able to say “Alexa, drive me to work.” ;)

In my younger days I found it easy to keep up with technology and it’s advancements. Now my 8 year old is teaching me how to use things. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, Alexa is hooked up to my Amazon account, I can control the house lamps, garage door, kitchen cabinet lights, thermostat, turn the tv on/off etc.

I also have a remote start thats connected to Alexa that I can lock/unlock, start/turn off my Jeep from the house or my phone, I'm 55 and its getting harder keeping up with technology but I try to keep up with it as much as I can.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yes, Alexa is hooked up to my Amazon account, I can control the house lamps, garage door, kitchen cabinet lights, thermostat, turn the tv on/off etc.

I also have a remote start thats connected to Alexa that I can lock/unlock, start/turn off my Jeep from the house or my phone, I'm 55 and its getting harder keeping up with technology but I try to keep up with it as much as I can.
That’s clever! Do you have to have the Jeep within your wi-fi range to be able to use Alexa like you are?

What remote start do you have? I’m assuming the OEM remote start does not have this sort of functionality?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Geez...the more I talk to you about this the more I realize I don’t know anything about this stuff.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, a wifi Hotspot on your cell phone so you can use Alexa, browse the internet etc.
I installed an aftermarket remote start, its a Fortin Evo-All with long range 2 way transmitter also installed a MyCar controls into the Evo-All that enables starting through cell phone or Alexa, it also has GPS so if your car gets stolen you'll be able to see where it is, or if one of the kids borrow it, you know where they are 😉

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
Nice job thanks for posting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice to see what this looks like in our car! Is this one of the single-DIN units with a floating screen? Was there much space behind it when you were done mounting? Some of us with DMH-W4660NEX's have found that the Metra 95-6518B for Dodge Ram trucks works with the stock bezel for the smaller sized radios. A link to what that can look like as an alternative to the kit that sticks out: https://www.reddit.com/r/CarAV/comments/i0wmxj
On the USB front, I grabbed one of the earlier/simpler USB/Aux boards off of eBay and swapped my main unit for that, since it is straight passthrough and not a hub. I ran a male USB-C to male USB mini-B cable down to that and it works like a champ. Able to use the stock USB port up front with the radio. It's a PITA to get to that spot to swap cables in my 2016.

I'm curious where you ran your microphone to from the head unit? I've still got to tuck mine away someplace and am debating a location... Still clipped to the dash at the moment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rwiggum.

Yes, its a single din, there is tons of room behind the radio, and yup its a floating screen, I like where the radio sits right now, doesn't seem to stick out too far, I think if it was mounted into the radio bezel I would have gone with the Scorche kit.

For the mic I just pulled the OEM mic out of the holder, ran a wire coat hanger through the hole down to the front of the headliner, then across the drivers side under the headliner, pushed the mic cable down the A pillar cover, under the door weather strip, pulled the side dash cover off and the knee bolster cover ( 3 Screws) then ran the cable through and up the dash into the radio hole, I did have to use the coat hanger again to poke down the radio hole into the underdash area tape the mic wire to the coat hanger and pull it back up.

I would be very interested in the USB Aux board you mentioned, I can't seem to find one on ebay.

·
Registered
43 Posts
rwiggum.

Yes, its a single din, there is tons of room behind the radio, and yup its a floating screen, I like where the radio sits right now, doesn't seem to stick out too far, I think if it was mounted into the radio bezel I would have gone with the Scorche kit.

For the mic I just pulled the OEM mic out of the holder, ran a wire coat hanger through the hole down to the front of the headliner, then across the drivers side under the headliner, pushed the mic cable down the A pillar cover, under the door weather strip, pulled the side dash cover off and the knee bolster cover ( 3 Screws) then ran the cable through and up the dash into the radio hole, I did have to use the coat hanger again to poke down the radio hole into the underdash area tape the mic wire to the coat hanger and pull it back up.

I would be very interested in the USB Aux board you mentioned, I can't seem to find one on ebay.
Oooooo nice! That's good to know! And yet, it's horrible to know in that I now need to keep telling myself not to consider swapping radios again...

How has the mic sounded in that location? Definitely going to give the headliner location a try as well.

2015-2018 JEEP RENEGADE CENTER CONSOLE AUX USB 12V SOCKET AUDIO PLUG INPUT OEM | eBay would do the trick. It needs to be one with only a single USB port in the back. It's a veeeeeery simple board.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mic sounds great, picks up my voice extremely well and people on the other side have no problems hearing me.

I used a piece of wire to hold the mic and the piece of foam in place, after unclipping the stock mic from its location there are tabs on each side that stick up, I heated the wire up and poked it through those tabs, put the Pioneer mic in and the foam then twisted the wire to hold everything in place, its very solid, I also taped the stock mic to the Pioneer one, just to make everything easier to put back to stock if I ever remove the radio.

Thanks for the info on the USB board.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ordered the USB board, I'll give a try when it comes in, fortunately its pretty easy to get to in the 2018.
I just put one of these in my wife's car. I put black tape around the top sides and bottom of the screen to cover the metal. Where did you find that trim ring to put around the screen?

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it from Crutchfield, expensive for what it is, but it does finish off the install nicely.

Metra 109-UN02 Floating Kit

·
Registered
991 Posts
That looks really good, but I have to ask....does it block the discharge from the center vents as much as the pics show ? I live in Texas where it gets hotter than the hinges to hell, and any passengers in the rear would be sweating like a hooker in church.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hi. No, doesn't block the vents at all really, you get 2 different sets of brackets with the Metra kit that can change the angle and lower the screen a little, where it is for me is perfect, no or very minimal air loss and just the right height.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Now that you have had the stereo for awhile any issues you have ran into with it? Looking to put this in my 2016 Rene and Crutchfield says the depth of the unit won’t fit?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brewc. Nope no issues at all, if the 2016 has the same opening / depth as the 2018 then I don't understand why it wouldn't fit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts