Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I said I would create a separate thread for this as it generated a little interest from my Blackout Project thread.
link -> http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...-today/28705-renegade-project-blackout-2.html

I have recently Plasti Dipped my brake calipers bright read and against my black rims, they look awesome!

Plasti Dip is apparently only rated for 200F and will not hold up to the heat generated by brakes but whether the heat generated from brakes affects the callipers has yet to be proven anywhere...in fact looking at other forums, others say they've done theirs and it's holding up fine, including http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/sho...calipers/page6

I have just done around 200 miles without any issues but I'll keep this thread updated...

Anyway, here are a few shots of the calipers on my Renegade. I'll try and get some more up. There are a couple of good tutorials on You Tube and you don't have to remove the caliper but having now done the fronts, I think I'll remove the calipers for the rear and to re-touch the fronts.

Reactions: twospirits

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I absolutely love this!! Looks really clean with your choice of wheels. What size are the rims?
The rims are Eta Beta Rochel in matte black 19x8.0 ET35 and the fit is perfect with 235/45r19 Michelin Pilot Sport 3's.

I should add, if you want a lasting job you should probably go for a proper brake caliper paint but as I wanted a removable product, I chose Plasti Dip...always a bit nervous of changes I can't reverse...

Reactions: syzygy

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would have thought that the plasti-dip would quickly heat up and start melting or coming off as the calipers heat up. Interesting that they have lasted as long as they have on your Jeep.

·
Registered
831 Posts
yea brake temps will affect your calipers, but street driving for the most part is not baking your calipers. Braking is relatively light with plenty of time in between uses... if you were on the track, yea fried in half a lap LOL...

·
Registered
194 Posts
For anyone looking for an alternative, there's some companies out there that make colored caliper covers that go over your caliper and secure in using the caliper bracket bolts. Not as cheap as plasti dip but could be what you prefer instead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did another 200 miles yesterday.. I tried to give it heaps this time but lets face it, the Renegade is not a performance vehicle....not by far!

Still no problems at all...

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's just as easy to get a can of high temp engine paint from Autozone and paint them red. Then you won't need to worry about temps. I have done this in the past with my old 99 Ram Air TA.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My question is this. Will the dip actually peel after being on a high temp surface? I have a feeling that it will bake itself on. I only wonder because I'd like to change up my motorcycle, and want to dip the engine covers... and am afraid it will be permanent.

Please update if you ever decide to peel them and go a different direction/color :)

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
For anyone looking for an alternative, there's some companies out there that make colored caliper covers that go over your caliper and secure in using the caliper bracket bolts. Not as cheap as plasti dip but could be what you prefer instead.
I like that idea of the caliper covers. Never knew about them.

TS

·
Registered
162 Posts
I like that idea of the caliper covers. Never knew about them.

TS
Ultimatly its your car that you can do what you want with so take the following with that in mind...
I highly recomend against caliper covers. Although I would never do so I can accept people adding things to their cars for non-functional reasons when those additions do not interfere with the normal functioning of the car. The crazy tall spoilers or tow rings on Honda Civics that never set foot on a track fall into this catagory. I think a line is crossed though when non-functional accessories actually diminish the very function they are supposed to enhance. Drilled or slotted brake rotors are one of the most used examples of this. Caliper covers are a close second.
All cars handle best when they have the least amount of what is known as "unsprung weight". Unsprung wieght is the mass of anything that does not transfer its weight to thr road through the car's springs. This includes mostly the wheel/tire weight but also the weight of the hub assembly, the brake caliper/rotor, a portion of the control arms and usually one half of the shock or strut. Caliper covers add additional weight with no benefit.
Brakes also need to cool. Caliper covers block air flow to the calipers, pads and rotors which can lead to glazed rotors and pads, premature failure of caliper seals and general brake failure.
Will this all happen if you add them to your Jeep? Who knows? The thing about doing something like adding caliper covers is that it is usually done simply to make your car "stand out". Having had a car that stands out for most of my adult life I've learned that typicly the only people who actually notice are other "car people". Normal everyday non car people really don't see our cars and if they do they could care less what your brake calipers look like. The car people who will notice, even the ones driving the Hondas with the big wings, understand that caliper covers are useless and may label the owner of such a car as a "poser".
Again, as stated above; everyone is free to modify their cars as they see fit (unless you live in Sweden I hear, but that's a story for another thread). :)
-Jason

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, so I've had a bit of a disaster!

I decided to remove the rear brake caliper to paint it, I thought I'd be able to get a better result doing it that way and so I could remove the pads...

All was going well and it was a straight forward procedure...until the electronic rear brake decided to engage automatically!!! Because you can only get the handbrake off by pressing the brake pedal, this jammed the pads together with no possible way of getting it back onto the rotor!!

I'm now waiting for a special tool to arrive so I can wind the piston back into the caliper..

Word of warning for anyone changing pads or removing the caliper...it's a straight forward job anyone can do but remember to go into the HUD into settings - safety - brakes and turn off the automatic rear brake!!

By the way, the front calipers are still absolutely fine, no peel or wear after 600 miles+ and they look great!

Cheers

Reactions: rtravis1946

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with you in part here Jason, I don't feel caliper covers are a good idea, but you should be wary of voicing opinions on what others like to do to customise their vehicles.. Just because you like the factory look, many people like to customise and it's just a personal preference.

Personally I don't think you should sacrifice comfort and safety for looks and many people do but that's their choice. I would never change anything that can't easily be changed back to OE nor affect the safety..

;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Resolved, you need this adapter and a piston wind-back set, you can get both on Ebay but the Jeep Renegade has this specific adapter.

I feel like a bit of an idiot...but nobody learnt anything without first trial and error...!!

:D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Resolved, you need this adapter and a piston wind-back set, you can get both on Ebay but the Jeep Renegade has this specific adapter.

I feel like a bit of an idiot...but nobody learnt anything without first trial and error...!!

I would say you should feel more like a pioneer.

An electronic parking brake is totally new to me too. I've never had one before my Renegade, so without your experience, I'd have been in the same boat when I paint mine. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
604 Posts

A classic case of the group benefiting from the misfortune of one of its members! :laugh:

I'll definitely keep this in mind when the eventual rear brake pad replacement comes along. A sticky thread about this might even be in order.

I have one of those cube-shaped rear caliper twisters that goes on the end of a socket wrench, with different pin patterns on each face of the cube, I'll have to check it to see if it has this three-pin pattern.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a quick update - 1600 miles on the clock now and no problems with the Plasti Dip calipers.

Reactions: Dartser
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.