Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,159 Posts
Nice! They sell black overlays for all of them parts too.

Reactions: Jamie Smith

·
Registered
890 Posts
Okay.....what exactly did you dip ? The grill trim rings ? The badges ? I can't see what was changed.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
718 Posts
Looks great! I’m not a big fan of chrome myself and will be doing the same in the future.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! They sell black overlays for all of them parts too.
I really want the jeep logo on the hood replaced as the little details on the lettering are not perfect. Luckily it’s plastidip and peals right off.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I really want the jeep logo on the hood replaced as the little details on the lettering are not perfect. Luckily it’s plastidip and peals right off.
I completely removed the Jeep logo from the hood. Looks way better in my opinion.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I did
the overlay rings. 20 bucks on Amazon and easy application. They are glossy though so I might remove and paint Matte black.

Yesterday I plasti dipped my rims. I love the new look. Here is a photo journey of the change.

No color

First coat

Second coat

Fourth coat

Sixth coat

Done

·
Registered
290 Posts
Some things I learned, if anyone cares. First, if you have fairly complex wheels like these, definitely better to remove them. Either you will miss many areas until you rotate them or you will have over spray issues trying to turn the can. Second, shake the can often while spraying to prevent spluttering. Third, it is totally worth doing but now that I am sure I love the black, I will paint them for a more durable finish until I can afford new.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So help me out.... does the platidip stay durable on the wheels or does it weather and peel eventually? Also how many cans did it take for the 4 wheels?
what if you get a car wash or scrub with a brush?

·
Registered
718 Posts
So help me out.... does the platidip stay durable on the wheels or does it weather and peel eventually? Also how many cans did it take for the 4 wheels?
what if you get a car wash or scrub with a brush?
It’ll stay quite awhile. Eventually you’ll need touch it up again though.

I “dipped” my front GMC emblem and a small piece of molding on my Yukon and it took 3 cans. I believe the instructions call for 4-5 coats. If I remember correctly, I did 5.

I’ve pressure washed it a few times now and it’s held in place perfectly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You only need 1 can per wheel. It is not meant to be a permanent solution. It is definitely only going to last well for about a year. I did it to test and be sure that I would like my wheels in flat black. If you want a more durable and permanent solution then something like Krylon Automotive Enamel spray paint would be better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts