Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been complaining about the colors and then went to see TH in Glacier (i.e. silver) yesterday. It definitely looks better on the TH than the other models because of the black roof, grille, etc. This one was also loaded with leather and some of the other packages. Despite still thinking that the anvil gray is a waaaaay better color I went for the glacier and got a decent deal. They gave me good money for my trade and a little below invoice.

I was pretty nervous because honestly I'm not a giant fan of larger cars. I've driven mostly VW GTI's for 15 years but wanted a 4x4 for our weekend adventures and my wife hates the GTI (mostly because it compels me to drive like a maniac). Anyway, after a day of driving around LA with the TH, all my angst is gone. I really really love the TH so far. We're heading out the desert next weekend for some camping so that will be a truer test but so far it seems like the TH will be best of both the city and country worlds.

· Registered
42 Posts
>> I was pretty nervous because honestly I'm not a giant fan of larger cars

I got a smile out of that. The Renegade does come across as "bigger than life".

You might not yet realize that your Renegade is 166.6 inches long by 71" wide, and the latest VW Golf GTI is 168" long by 70.5" wide.

So your new Renegade is actually shorter than a new Golf GTI (at least a new one). You're just sitting higher - way higher. Next time you park, remember you've got that extra 1.4" to work with...

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>> I was pretty nervous because honestly I'm not a giant fan of larger cars

I got a smile out of that. The Renegade does come across as "bigger than life".

You might not yet realize that your Renegade is 166.6 inches long by 71" wide, and the latest VW Golf GTI is 168" long by 70.5" wide.

So your new Renegade is actually shorter than a new Golf GTI (at least a new one). You're just sitting higher - way higher. Next time you park, remember you've got that extra 1.4" to work with...
Haha, that's awesome. It just feels so much bigger - I guess it's the height, how much of the hood you can see, just the driving experience.

Anyway, I'm super excited about the Renegade and can't wait to try it off road out in the desert or up in Sequoia. Should be a hoot.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
I too went for a silver TH. The metallic silver looks great in TH trim with the black and the few red bits.

I was considering Anvil until I saw that color on a Wrangler and it doesn't didn't' work for me.

Do you like the hood decal/stripe? I'm thinking that I want to remove mine.

Reactions: aardvark

· Registered
602 Posts
So I've been complaining about the colors and then went to see TH in Glacier (i.e. silver) yesterday. It definitely looks better on the TH than the other models because of the black roof, grille, etc. This one was also loaded with leather and some of the other packages. Despite still thinking that the anvil gray is a waaaaay better color I went for the glacier and got a decent deal. They gave me good money for my trade and a little below invoice.

I was pretty nervous because honestly I'm not a giant fan of larger cars. I've driven mostly VW GTI's for 15 years but wanted a 4x4 for our weekend adventures and my wife hates the GTI (mostly because it compels me to drive like a maniac). Anyway, after a day of driving around LA with the TH, all my angst is gone. I really really love the TH so far. We're heading out the desert next weekend for some camping so that will be a truer test but so far it seems like the TH will be best of both the city and country worlds.
Please let us know how your trip went!

· Registered
1,633 Posts
. . . How does the acceleration in the TH compare to past vehicles you have driven? Is the TH acceleration fast, slow or just ok?
Well, that's a loaded question. Compared to my nearly 500 HP Challenger, it is slow. But with the 2.4 engine, as long as you keep the RPM's up a bit, it pulls quite nicely.

It has just enough power to lumber along at 65 mph in 9th gear at about 1,600 RPM. When you start up a grade, it shifts to 8th (or even 7th) and it easily maintains 65. It is quite frisky for a little four-cylinder if you allow it to rev up a bit.

· Registered
8 Posts
Where did you get it? there was a silver on at hooman but I didn't really like the color for me.

Do you know of any good/reputable dealers in a 50 mile radius of LA? The stuff I've found so far has been with the true car app/site.

I haven't actually bought a car with true car yet, curious if people found they liked it?

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations to you!
How does the acceleration in the TH compare to past vehicles you have driven? Is the TH acceleration fast, slow or just ok?
The TH is acceptable, although nothing compared to a VW GTI to which going 90 is effortless. The gearing feels a little odd to me, sometimes on the freeway it feels like it needs an extra nudge to get over 65 and then all of a sudden it's in the next gear and takes off. But it's totally fine all told.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I too went for a silver TH. The metallic silver looks great in TH trim with the black and the few red bits.

I was considering Anvil until I saw that color on a Wrangler and it doesn't didn't' work for me.

Do you like the hood decal/stripe? I'm thinking that I want to remove mine.
I really like the stripe although I'm a sucker for vintage details. I wish they'd have painted it on rather than just a decal.

But it sounds like we went through the same thing - I saw the anvil on a wrangler and didn't like it as much in real life and conversely liked the glacier a lot more in real life and on the TH specifically. I still do like the anvil more though, to be honest.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, that's a loaded question. Compared to my nearly 500 HP Challenger, it is slow. But with the 2.4 engine, as long as you keep the RPM's up a bit, it pulls quite nicely.

It has just enough power to lumber along at 65 mph in 9th gear at about 1,600 RPM. When you start up a grade, it shifts to 8th (or even 7th) and it easily maintains 65. It is quite frisky for a little four-cylinder if you allow it to rev up a bit.
I just read this after I posted my last response, but yeah we totally agree on this. Lumber is a pretty good word. It's not pokey but it won't win any awards. I wonder how it will do when we drive up into Sequoia or the San Gabriels where you're just going up super steep inclines for miles.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
It should do fine up the long steep grades as long as you use the lower gears and keep the rpm's up. The 2.4 really comes alive around 3,000 rpm.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where did you get it? there was a silver on at hooman but I didn't really like the color for me.

Do you know of any good/reputable dealers in a 50 mile radius of LA? The stuff I've found so far has been with the true car app/site.

I haven't actually bought a car with true car yet, curious if people found they liked it?
I got mine at Motor Village in downtown LA. It seemed decent enough, more or less, and this was my first Jeep dealer experience.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It should do fine up the long steep grades as long as you use the lower gears and keep the rpm's up. The 2.4 really comes alive around 3,000 rpm.
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm sure i'll end up using the faux-manual mode a lot in those situations.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the Renegade so far. Even better my wife really likes it and feels a lot more comfortable and safer in it, which in turn makes me happier yet.

· Registered
602 Posts

Try carguru.com. It will give you a whole list of dealers plus their rating.

· Registered
610 Posts
I didn't buy, but I did sign up with TrueCar just to see what it was about. As soon as I did I got calls from dealers (none of which had any Renegades) calling me non-stop. It is very annoying.

None of them had anything useful to say. "The cars are coming." "We don't have any now, but would you be interested in a X-Y-Z?" "Do you have any questions about the Renegade that I could answer?"

Seriously. Why would I interested in X-Y-Z if I specified the Renegade? Plus, if they don't even have the cars, I doubt the salesmen knows more about it than I do.

Anyway, TrueCar is not very useful for a car that is so new to the market. It's only useful once the car has been on the market for a while and have been sold in numbers where market averages can help you get a good price through them. Otherwise, don't bother.

If you're not willing to wait, be prepared to pay sticker price. The Renegade is too new to have dealer/factory incentives. And it's too new to have competition among the dealers. It doesn't matter which dealer you buy from. You can take it to any Jeep dealer for service. All car buying negotiation tips apply.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.