Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I been thinking of getting a winch, but i can't mount it permanent in the front unless i buy a new bumper. And besides, i don’t want a winch mounted.

But, having a portable winch that i can storr in the luggage compartment , that would be awesome.
So.. I got two ideas and would like your input and thoughts.

1. A portable winch that you mount on trees like in this video:

Two problems, one being lack of trees and the other being a extra battery with how much amp?

2. A portable winch that i connect in the rear, i have a tow hook/ball permanent with no possibility to remove (unless i buy and install one of those removable ones) it. So could i build a winch platform to mount on the tow hook? Will it be dangerous? Will it hold? Will the cable reach the battery in the front?
This guy did something similiar:

Ideas? Thoughts?

Edit*
There will be no snatch pulls, no winching in slopes or in rocky areas... Think overgrown roads, mud and snow. If I for some reason got stuck, it would be nice to have a winch to help me out of some mud or snow. I know my (and the cars) limits.

·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts
Looks like he nearly ran over the winch at one point.

Looks like there are some Li-Ion powered winches now available. No experience in using them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I been thinking of getting a winch, but i can't mount it permanent in the front unless i buy a new bumper. And besides, i don’t want a winch mounted.

But, having a portable winch that i can storr in the luggage compartment , that would be awesome.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Edit*
There will be no snatch pulls, no winching in slopes or in rocky areas... Think overgrown roads, mud and snow. If I for some reason got stuck, it would be nice to have a winch to help me out of some mud or snow. I know my (and the cars) limits.
Forget the electric winch.
Suggest looking into a portable winch that can be stored in your trunk (boot) until needed.
Mussel powered
The More Power Puller®, Portable Winch, Cable Puller, Come Along Winches | By The Wyeth-Scott Company
Or the gas powered (chainsaw) Lewis Winch
Lewis Winch Portable Chainsaw Winch, Snatch Block & Multi Drill

·
Registered
2021 Renegade Trailhawk
37 Posts
Think overgrown roads, mud and snow
Why not track boards then? Not trying to start a war but the times I’ve had to winch out of an issue on my XJ have been rare.The boards give you quite a few options as well vs a which setup for straight pulls anyway. Also you don’t need to find securement points within your cable length, which you said might be an issue?

anyway something to consider?

·
Registered
333 Posts

So.. I got two ideas and would like your input and thoughts.

1. A portable winch that you mount on trees like in this video:

Two problems, one being lack of trees and the other being a extra battery with how much amp?

2. A portable winch that i connect in the rear, i have a tow hook/ball permanent with no possibility to remove (unless i buy and install one of those removable ones) it. So could i build a winch platform to mount on the tow hook? Will it be dangerous? Will it hold? Will the cable reach the battery in the front?
This guy did something similiar:

Ideas? Thoughts?

Edit*
I honestly think you would be safer and better off with a good pair of MaxTrax.
Why not track boards then? Not trying to start a war but the times I’ve had to winch out of an issue on my XJ have been rare.The boards give you quite a few options as well vs a which setup for straight pulls anyway. Also you don’t need to find securement points within your cable length, which you said might be an issue?

I agree completely. I fact I typed out that exact idea but apparently didn't hit post reply. If you are just dealing with rough overgrown roads MaxTrax are bound to get you out of trouble.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Already got those.😁 And I have looked at a manual winch. As you said.... Winching is rare.

·
Registered
2021 Renegade Trailhawk
37 Posts
Already got those.😁 And I have looked at a manual winch. As you said.... Winching is rare.
Just get a come along then. I carry one as a backup. It’s slow and a pain but small and easily portable. Can still set up snatch pulls too. Or practice with your hi lift if you have one. Ives used those a few times as winches.

Again not trying to be an ass just don’t see the value of one unless it’s just a matter of convenience and you don’t mind the extra space it’ll take for the rare occasions you need it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts