Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2020 renegade upland and I installed some crossbars and roof basket for future, light off-road endeavors. I have a question, having your roof top basket placed further back or to the front differ in any way? Does it hurt gas mileage or the way the vehicle drives etc.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Unless you have a couple hundred pounds up there you probably won't even notice that it is there, with the exception of a little wind noise.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm working on getting a basket set up on mine as well. Most of the threads I've read have the baskets moved further back to reduce the noise. Maybe it's just because it's behind the driver more. Maybe it's because the draft doesn't reach as far back. But I plan on setting mine up to the rear of the vehicle. Some people have claimed that the larger baskets with the big deflectors up front have reduced their mpg by as much as 3mpg. I think that's probably a bit high. I have a hard time believing that a wind deflector would create enough drag to loose that much. Trial and error will probably be your best bet though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm working on getting a basket set up on mine as well. Most of the threads I've read have the baskets moved further back to reduce the noise. Maybe it's just because it's behind the driver more. Maybe it's because the draft doesn't reach as far back. But I plan on setting mine up to the rear of the vehicle. Some people have claimed that the larger baskets with the big deflectors up front have reduced their mpg by as much as 3mpg. I think that's probably a bit high. I have a hard time believing that a wind deflector would create enough drag to loose that much. Trial and error will probably be your best bet though.
Trial and error is what is going to give you your personal preference. This is my first vehicle I have ever mounted a roof basket on the roof so ANY wind noise is new to me other than the natural cutting of the wind from driving a vehicle without it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went with a 48 x 40 inch basket....then I noticed as I looked at it...my basket looked like it was popping a wheelie....because the factory roof racks are curved so I had to move my cross bars in front of the first mounting screw to bring the front of the basket even with the back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts