Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I orderd a brand new Jeep Renegade Trailhawk with all the options and such (except for the sunroof/panels).
I have gotten the confirmation that the order is placed.

But there is a issue..
My country does not really allow "Remote Start" options to be had on cars for some reason (emission maybe?..) so I would like to contact the factory and pay the factory that small fee to get the remote start installed on the car anyway without the knowledge of the sales company that I bought the car though. I have spoken with the company sales men and they dont really car about the remote start emission stuff but they also dont have any contact information for the factory itself.

So my question is.. Is it possible to contact the factory and pay the fee to get the remote start system installed in the car?

I got all the information about where it will be delivered, equipment options and so on as that will be needed to get the car identified before the production itself.

I hope HOPE REALLY HOPE that it is possible. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Once an order goes through, it has to be built as ordered. Also, its not as simple as just "adding on" remote start. When you order a vehicle, the parts to build it have to be ordered and are pre-assembled, then shipped to the assembly plant where its coordinated in a very sophisticated computer system so the correct pre-assemblies get put into the correct vehicles as it travels down the assembly line. For example, the seats for your Renegade are not made by Jeep, but rather a contractor Jeep hires. Same goes for things like maybe the entire dash assembly, etc. This is why once its ordered and it gets in place at the assembly plant it has to be built as ordered. Otherwise, it would be a hot mess trying to add on last minute things for each and every other vehicle. Not to mention, it would slow down the assembly line, costing them money (Time is money!). You can't even change the color or something like that once it gets past a certain point in the system. Lastly, FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) doesn't want any part of being legally responsible for basically going against the laws of your country. The extra money you pay forward is pennies compared to any lawsuit your country could put against FCA for doing something like this. There's a reason why they can't do it. They're not just being difficult.

I think the only thing you could do is having someone else install a remote start system in it. There may even be a MOPAR Renegade accessory for it if you can find something like this, then just have someone install it for you.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't fancy your chances. First you have to be fast. There is a last change date.
Find that out first from your dealer. They can get codes from the factory that show what state the build is in.
Second problem is Fiat probably won't be allowed to sell what will be effectively an illegal product.
Meaning if I wanted a gun strapped to the bonnet in Ireland, it would be illegal but probably ok in the US.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
There ain't no way that you will be able to have that fitted at the factory, if it is deemed illegal in any way, shape, or form. FCA would more than likely end up with a lawsuit. So it is my opinion that you forget the idea of contacting the factory about having the remote start fitted.

By the way, what car market are you in?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
In light of the VW debacle, no car maker will deliver a car to a country with un-approved items installed.

I have had my Renegade for nearly 15 months. It has remote start. I used it twice to see if it works (it does). Otherwise I never use it and have no desire to do so. I like the idea of getting into my vehicle and then starting the engine.

Don't sweat over not having remote start. It isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the answers.

The country in Question is Sweden and there is a law that differs from municipality to municipality about how long a car can be on while standing still. It can be 1 minute and or can be 5minutes.

"Gaelmart"I spoke with the Dealer and it was out of the question and they CANT do anything for me on that part. Asking here was more like a last resort.
It looks like I have to check with Mopar as "nyrenegade" sayd to see if there is a remote start kit that can be installed after I got the car.
While on the topic. Whats the order CODE for the remote start off the factory?

"bwbike" I got quite alot of ideas about where and when it can be used. :)

And thanks everyone for the answers.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Is there any particular reason why the remote start is not allowed? In a country that has some rather cold weather, I would have thought that something like a remote start to warm up the vehicle would have been ok. One lives and learns. Keep us up to date on how you get on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there any particular reason why the remote start is not allowed? In a country that has some rather cold weather, I would have thought that something like a remote start to warm up the vehicle would have been ok. One lives and learns. Keep us up to date on how you get on.
Ill report back with information incase I get some remote start going into the car. It could be that I install a Diesel heater instead but that drains battery very fast incase I want to sit inside of the car during work and its cold outside.

In the majority of the municipality there is a 1minute rule about idle running engines. The rule is to spare the nature and health of people.
That might be the reason for not really allowing Remote start to be installed in cars.
BUT I have NOT found ANY information about a prohibition/ban on remote starting modules/cars in the country.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Ill report back with information incase I get some remote start going into the car. It could be that I install a Diesel heater instead but that drains battery very fast incase I want to sit inside of the car during work and its cold outside.

In the majority of the municipality there is a 1minute rule about idle running engines. The rule is to spare the nature and health of people.
That might be the reason for not really allowing Remote start to be installed in cars.
BUT I have NOT found ANY information about a prohibition/ban on remote starting modules/cars in the country.
No info about a prohibition/ban, that is interesting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.