Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I am a new member here, and I came across the site in my research for a new vehicle. I really want to consider a new Renegade for purchase, but all the talk of transmission issues early on has me gun shy. The one dealership I went to, when I asked about the potential issues, completely denied the existence of any issues at all. He said there were some software issues with 2014 models but all of those issues were corrected for 2015...which is complete BS since there wasn't even a 2014 Renegade. Needless to say they won't be getting my business.

What I need to know is, have these issues been resolved with later releases? Are late 2015 or early 2016 models clear of these problems? Are the problems even numerous enough for me to worry about, or am I just making too much of it for nothing?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello,
I am a new member here, and I came across the site in my research for a new vehicle. I really want to consider a new Renegade for purchase, but all the talk of transmission issues early on has me gun shy. The one dealership I went to, when I asked about the potential issues, completely denied the existence of any issues at all. He said there were some software issues with 2014 models but all of those issues were corrected for 2015...which is complete BS since there wasn't even a 2014 Renegade. Needless to say they won't be getting my business.

What I need to know is, have these issues been resolved with later releases? Are late 2015 or early 2016 models clear of these problems? Are the problems even numerous enough for me to worry about, or am I just making too much of it for nothing?
Yes, you should worry, the problems are very real. While some members have had no problems others have not been so lucky.

You have to ask yourself, are you a cool kid who has to have something others notice you in and you do not care if it is in the shop getting repaired under warranty (if they can figure out the problem).

Or, are you a more practical person who wants a reliable car and does not need the affirmation of others in what you drive?

For me, I don't give a rip about cool kids, I drive what is right for me and that is something with more proven reliability, I think I may buy a Honda HR-V this weekend.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hello,

Here is the situation. This same transmission is used in the Cherokee as well as other models. The Cherokee had many software changes with this transmission in 2014-2015 because of shifting problems. That is what your dealer is referring to. However from what I read the Jeep engineers did a better job tuning the software for the Renegade and in fact some cars were held back from dealers to have new software installed. I don't know of any Renegades that are having problems with the transmission anywhere near what the Cherokee went through. I don't think you have anything to worry about whether you purchase an early 2015, late 2015 or a 2016. Just remember that only people that have major problems tend to post them on forums. The vast majority of people that have trouble free cars are out driving them.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Yes, there have been some issues going on but for the most part they turn out to be software related. So you go in and get the update under warranty.
And not everyone has had issues.

You have to ask yourself, are you a cool kid who has to have something others notice you in and you do not care if it is in the shop getting repaired under warranty (if they can figure out the problem).
Well, speaking for myself this was definitely not the case for me. I don't do things based on other people or to be noticed by them.
I am a Jeep fan and had my eye on the Renegade ever since it was a concept. Yes I want something that looks good and fits with my taste in vehicles because that's what I want.
So I waited and had plans on getting one as soon as it was out because I liked it. And yes, taking into consideration that it was brand new, it's first year and that it might possibly have a few bugs that'll need to get checked out.

I am a worry wart as it is but still definitely decided taking the plunge was the right decision for me. Things can happen on any vehicle and I'd rather be in a Jeep.
And I REALLY love it and of course I will recommend it.

may buy a Honda HR-V this weekend.
Best wishes!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, you should worry, the problems are very real. While some members have had no problems others have not been so lucky.

Or, are you a more practical person who wants a reliable car and does not need the affirmation of others in what you drive?

For me, I don't give a rip about cool kids, I drive what is right for me and that is something with more proven reliability, I think I may buy a Honda HR-V this weekend.
You should consider a Mazda CX-3 vs the HR-V if you want a quality, dependable ride that won't be in the shop.

·
Registered
753 Posts

That's a little gruff... I don't think the better part of the Renegade buyers bought it because they need attention from others, or because they think they're in with the cool kids.

Heck, I'm 44 - I haven't been a cool kid in a long time. And ask my boss, he'll be the first to say I could give a rat's behind what others think.

I test drove a lot of vehicles in the 6 months I was pondering a new car purchase. I test drove the Renny 3 times in 2 months at the same dealer. I knew I enjoyed it more than all the others the first time I tried one, but mulled over the fact that it was an entirely new model, and Jeep is infamous for their lack of QA on new models. Heck sometimes even old models.

In the end I decided, making a monthly car payment for something I didn't absolutely love and enjoy just didn't make sense. If I'm paying a 5yr auto-loan I better make sure I love what I'm driving.

Just my 2-cents, :|

·
Registered
378 Posts
That's a little gruff... I don't think the better part of the Renegade buyers bought it because they need attention from others, or because they think they're in with the cool kids.

Heck, I'm 44 - I haven't been a cool kid in a long time. And ask my boss, he'll be the first to say I could give a rat's behind what others think.

I test drove a lot of vehicles in the 6 months I was pondering a new car purchase. I test drove the Renny 3 times in 2 months at the same dealer. I knew I enjoyed it more than all the others the first time I tried one, but mulled over the fact that it was an entirely new model, and Jeep is infamous for their lack of QA on new models. Heck sometimes even old models.

In the end I decided, making a monthly car payment for something I didn't absolutely love and enjoy just didn't make sense. If I'm paying a 5yr auto-loan I better make sure I love what I'm driving.

Just my 2-cents, :|
I agree with you. I test drove lots of other cars and none of them were as fun as the Renegade. This will be a popular model. It may have some growing pains because it is a new model but Jeep has been pretty good at standing behind their products.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the responses. That is very helpful information.

In the last couple months since we started looking, the Renegade has gone from top of the list to scratched from the list entirely then back to maybe top 3. I've even been avoiding test driving one out of fear I'd like it too much and buy it despite the problems. It got to the point where I was just going to get another Subaru (I've been a Subaru owner for the last 20 years), but last night my wife said "You're going to kick yourself if you don't at least see what its really like".

Honestly, I've been driving myself nuts lol

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Every transmission has a failure rate. ZF claims that the failure rate for the 9 speed is ~2% which is below the industry average. Regardless of model, you are going to wind up with some units that fail. The issue the renegade has on top of that is that due to software or parts sourcing, or engineers not communicating properly beforehand, there were issues with what sensors were saying and what the software was expecting, and the result of this would be either a genuine, logged service engine light with transmission error codes, and/or a service 4wd message. It is also highly probable that you'd see a bunch of other unlogged service messages that are spurious because apparently when the bug rears it's head, the can bus has bad data on it, and the car doesn't really know what it means. It may or may not disconnect the PTU at that point, and from the way mine sounded before it did, if it does not, I would not be surprised if the PTU or the transmission suffers damage.

The bigger problem with the renegade is that the dealer network seems to be extremely ill equipped to service it. There seems to be a complete lack of training, or a broad failure to consume it if FCA is making available. I'd suggest that it'll be at least another 6 months before that eases up. At least with my dealer, they have barely had any in for their first oil change, much less had enough in for service to have grown a local "expert" by trial and error.

Another big problem is parts availability. FCA maintains a more lean parts supply in general. Right now with almost all of the parts going into production, and most service needs isolated to a few key areas (transmissions, PTUs, and windshields seem to be the key ones), getting parts takes time.

As for firstnew1, I wouldn't listen to him. He's full of sour grapes and likes to be a borderline troll. If the renegade looks to chancy for you, I would not look at the HR-V unless it really fits your desires. It is significantly smaller for the front seat passengers than the renegade. Also, Honda has dropped more than one turd on the market that have tons of transmission problems, and it too is a first model year vehicle. Honda does police their dealer network better than FCA does though. Something like the CX-5 or CR-v that are just about to hit a refresh, and are more mature platforms, may be more appropriate if the renegade gives you pause.

·
Registered
378 Posts

In the last couple months since we started looking, the Renegade has gone from top of the list to scratched from the list entirely then back to maybe top 3. I've even been avoiding test driving one out of fear I'd like it too much and buy it despite the problems. It got to the point where I was just going to get another Subaru (I've been a Subaru owner for the last 20 years), but last night my wife said "You're going to kick yourself if you don't at least see what its really like".

Thanks again.

Go and test drive a Renegade. I have a feeling you will be sold on it. Every machine has a failure rate. That is why we have a warranty.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Where can you rent one? (I live in the Washington D.C. / Baltimore region). I think it be worth the time and cost to be able to drive a Renegade for several days or a week to get a real feel for it. Most test drives at dealers are close to useless.
I don't know if that's true. Most dealers will let you take a car for an extended test drive to see how it performs in city and highway. Some will even let you take one home for the weekend and have cars designated just for that purpose.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I personally haven't had any transmission issues since I purchased mine, and seeing some of the comments on here made me a bit leery. Plus, I live in the Ozark Mountains where it will shift gears hundreds of times during a couple hour journey up and down and all around. However, I can tell you that mine was a March build but I am not sure if mine had the software update.

The car has a warranty and I am not as concerned if I have issues, most new cars have their quirks.

I drove the HR-V/Fit and cant stand the drone of the CVT, and it felt like it needed another 50 HP to keep from struggling up hills. And as far as the cx-3, which i found to be a decent car..but for the price I could buy the Mazda 3 wagon for less and have the same if not more usable storage ..albeit the lack of 4wd.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Thanks again.
Led Boots - you should definitely drive a Renegade and see for yourself! We had to wait until May to test drive one as it took that long for them to show up at nearby dealerships and we ordered ours 2 days after the test drive. We ordered the manual 1.4T but only test drove the 2.4 so we're looking forward to seeing the difference but the 2.4/auto seemed nice to me as well, with plenty of power. We just prefer the stick. I'm sure the transmission kinks will get all worked out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
LOL...so funny, the replies....if I wanted to be the 'cool kid' I woulda kept my '06 solar yellow RHD two door Wrangler...yet, the problem THERE was the fun little 'wrangler quirks'. Yes, Jeep does have their 'issues', but so does Ford, or Chevy, yada yada.....

I too am NOT the one to jump into a new year vehicle....'work the bugs out 1st' was my thought....I didn't even LIKE the look of the Renegade....right up until I got into it, test drove it, and then researched, dreamed about it, and then finally went out and GOT ONE....lol...

I opted for a Glacier Limited 4x4 as it had all I wanted in it plus the 9 speaker/subwoofer 6.5 Uconnect system.....remote start....blah blah blah...I LOVE this puppy....I WAS going to go for another Wrangler or a Pick up....but this one won my heart....

So although I see the 'posts', I ALWAYS keep in mind it's the majority of the NEGATIVES that post....the POSITIVES seem not to take the time, or maybe they don't have the time because they are out ENJOYING their rides (I'm not right now as it's 90 degrees, my day off and doing my chores which WILL include going out to wash my Ren!).....

You gotta ask yourself what YOU want. What will make YOU happy. I STILL smile everytime I walk out to my Renny! So that says alot.

I have 763 miles on mine now, bought it with 16 miles on it. And I LOVE the ride, LOVE the bells and whistles, just lots of Renny love!

May the force be with you! LOL....

·
Registered
378 Posts
LOL...so funny, the replies....if I wanted to be the 'cool kid' I woulda kept my '06 solar yellow RHD two door Wrangler...yet, the problem THERE was the fun little 'wrangler quirks'. Yes, Jeep does have their 'issues', but so does Ford, or Chevy, yada yada.....

I too am NOT the one to jump into a new year vehicle....'work the bugs out 1st' was my thought....I didn't even LIKE the look of the Renegade....right up until I got into it, test drove it, and then researched, dreamed about it, and then finally went out and GOT ONE....lol...

I opted for a Glacier Limited 4x4 as it had all I wanted in it plus the 9 speaker/subwoofer 6.5 Uconnect system.....remote start....blah blah blah...I LOVE this puppy....I WAS going to go for another Wrangler or a Pick up....but this one won my heart....

So although I see the 'posts', I ALWAYS keep in mind it's the majority of the NEGATIVES that post....the POSITIVES seem not to take the time, or maybe they don't have the time because they are out ENJOYING their rides (I'm not right now as it's 90 degrees, my day off and doing my chores which WILL include going out to wash my Ren!).....

You gotta ask yourself what YOU want. What will make YOU happy. I STILL smile everytime I walk out to my Renny! So that says alot.

I have 763 miles on mine now, bought it with 16 miles on it. And I LOVE the ride, LOVE the bells and whistles, just lots of Renny love!

May the force be with you! LOL....
Great post. Lots to agree with.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know if that's true. Most dealers will let you take a car for an extended test drive to see how it performs in city and highway. Some will even let you take one home for the weekend and have cars designated just for that purpose.
I have yet to find a dealer that will let you do a extended test drive (aside from BMW Motorcycle dealers).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.