Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a new Renegade in the coming months. I have a few questions for you guys. I'm trying decide between the Latitude, 75th Anniversary edition, and the Trailhawk.

I'm planning to use the Renegade for camping trips and going on some light trails, going up to the mountain in the winter, and some occasional daily driving to work in the city. I know I do want it with the 4x4 option. I also plan on doing a 1.5" lift in the near future.

I'm undecided on the transmission option. I've only test driven the automatic at the dealer so far (they didn't have any manuals on the lot) and from what I felt on the city streets, the gear changing felt sort of sluggish. I've read some reviews complaining that the automatic switches gears too slow as well. What do you guys think about either transmission options?

Another option I'm weighing is the 16" vs. 17" vs. 18" wheel options. With the Latitude, I can get any of the size options. 75th only comes in 18" and the Trailhawk comes with 17". I really like the Jungle Green that comes exclusively with the 75th, but I'm also stuck with the 18" wheels. I've read on this forum that it will be difficult to get A/T tires on 18" wheels. Are there a lot of A/T tire options if I go with the 17" wheels on either the Latitude or the Trailhawk?

My last question is one that applies to the Renegade in general. I plan on taking my 2 golden retrievers with me on trips in the Renegade. Do you guys think there is enough room in the rear seats for 2 of them?

thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd go with the Trailhawk if you're doing any kind of offroading. While I generally find that I rarely need to use the 4WD modes (although I have and they work well), I really appreciate the good departure angles and skid plate. It's great for rocks and ruts and sand and you just worry a lot less about what you can get through. I've been in plenty of situations where I wouldn't have taken a non-Trailhawk version.

Two Goldens will probably fit in the back, it has plenty of room.

·
Registered
534 Posts
if you want a trailhawk you can only have the manual trans.I wish we could have gotten a manual trans
Plenty of room in the back for your dogs IMO

·
Registered
183 Posts
Few weeks

I've only had my TH for a few weeks, but I don't find the auto to bad. I'm not having the sluggish shifts and the looking for the gear problems I've read about. Don't know if the 2016 had a software update or not, but it seems to know which gear I want.

Not saying it's the fastest shifts, but I can live with it. So far I'm loving everything about my TH and very happy so far..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think a Trailhawk gives you a lot of options off-road and that freedom is nice, but only if you are going to make the most of it.

The skid plates prove their value quickly, every crunch where you run out and check the underside is a relief to have those skid plates.

The departure and approach angles are also handy since you don't want to worry about leaving your bumpers behind. I went over some very shallow creeks on the beach at high speed that were hard to see and wondered if with the regular bumpers I would have hit the creek sand edge.

I'd say for anything more than light off-roading the piece of mind with the Trailhawk is worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm just going to address the dog issue... I have a Great Pyr weighing in at roughly 150 lbs. If I put the back seats down, he fits uncrated, but I wouldn't try to put another dog in there with him. If you are going to use crates, they probably won't fit. Uncrated, the dogs may fit snugly, so it really depends on your dogs. Do they just lay down? Are they fidgety? How big are they? Do they need crates? Do you need the back seat usable?
I used to do dog rescue work and could never have had a vehicle this small and done any sort of transport.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a new Renegade in the coming months. I have a few questions for you guys. I'm trying decide between the Latitude, 75th Anniversary edition, and the Trailhawk.

I'm planning to use the Renegade for camping trips and going on some light trails, going up to the mountain in the winter, and some occasional daily driving to work in the city. I know I do want it with the 4x4 option. I also plan on doing a 1.5" lift in the near future.

I'm undecided on the transmission option. I've only test driven the automatic at the dealer so far (they didn't have any manuals on the lot) and from what I felt on the city streets, the gear changing felt sort of sluggish. I've read some reviews complaining that the automatic switches gears too slow as well. What do you guys think about either transmission options?

Another option I'm weighing is the 16" vs. 17" vs. 18" wheel options. With the Latitude, I can get any of the size options. 75th only comes in 18" and the Trailhawk comes with 17". I really like the Jungle Green that comes exclusively with the 75th, but I'm also stuck with the 18" wheels. I've read on this forum that it will be difficult to get A/T tires on 18" wheels. Are there a lot of A/T tire options if I go with the 17" wheels on either the Latitude or the Trailhawk?

My last question is one that applies to the Renegade in general. I plan on taking my 2 golden retrievers with me on trips in the Renegade. Do you guys think there is enough room in the rear seats for 2 of them?

thanks
love my trailhawk, it goes where i want and back with no problems
the auto trans will adapt to your driving after a few drives that is my opinion. i feel that is what mine did
drop the back seats and you will have plenty of room for two dogs, seats up no way two large dogs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.