Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm in the UK (Hertfordshire) and having loved my Fiat 500 1.4 Sport since 2007, now I'm no longing zipping around Central London I feel the need for something a bit more solid (in other words, I'm a wuss when it comes to driving it on motorways when I'm sandwiched between lorries, and I've lost my confidence a bit - er, a lot).

Previous cars (from the start) were a Toyota Starlet (first car, bright green, more plastic filler than metal); Citroen 1.1 AX (basically a motorised tin can); an Audi Quattro (yes, a big jump in car types/power); a Lotus Elan (1992, gorgeous, but my husband ended up commandeering it...); an Audi A3 (yawn); two RAV 4's (loved one, the other was a pig - I used to kick its tyres I hated it so much) and then my lovely 500.

I've got a test drive of Jeep Renegade for 24 hours from this Thursday. I've also driven the Fiat 500X on a 24 hour drive which I liked, but not enough to convince me to change the 500. The test is (amongst other things, obviously) whether a car makes me smile when I scan a carpark for it (my 500 still does), and the 500X was just a bit 'meh' on that test.

The loan car is a manual, but although I've always driven manuals, I might go for an automatic this time, but the transmission issues with the Renegade's auto are a worry. Should they be?

· Registered
87 Posts
Greetings from New Hampshire, Daxi! Although your friends across the pond normally opt for automatic transmissions, I'm afraid I'm not one of them. With that, I cannot share any personal experience with the 9spd auto, though the anecdotal blabberings of "some guy on the internet" (me) would pale in comparison to the research it sounds like you've done already.

However, I can share with you that the 6spd has been a gem for me. My previous car, a 2007 Chevrolet HHR, felt like I was rowing through a maze of rubber bands -- it was awful. Here, for both the 500X and Renegade, the 6spd exclusively mates to the 1.4T and the 9spd auto is exclusively coupled to the 2.4, both petrol engines. I'm not sure about engine choices you get, but if I remember correctly the 1.4T petrol engine in the UK is rated at 140 hp where stateside it's 160 hp. I feel that 160 is adequate, but only just. Is that the engine you're considering or perhaps one of the diesels you folks get?

· Registered
302 Posts
So far the 9 speed in my 2016 Trailhawk has been flawless...... I think they finally got the software where it needed to be. If you like a manual, all the more power to you. My first several cars were manual but eventually the automatics won me over. I got so tired of constantly shifting in city traffic.

You can manually shift the 9 speed auto if you so desire so to me it is a good fit. I've had my Renegade since Xmas eve and it is a joy to drive..... definitely brings a smile to my face :)

· Registered
78 Posts
Think I'm going to go for a manual Renegade (I'm also in the UK) if I do get one - I know they've had issues with the autos but the manual is so much cheaper too! Unless it's a Trailhawk I stretch too of course, which only comes with an auto. Shame the autos aren't a DSG box, although the I guess that would be dearer still.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.