Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the third time now at startup I have received a 'Service Power Steering' dashboard message....and the vehicle has no power steering. I have 3000 miles on my vehicle. After I restart the vehicle all is good. The dealer seems to be clueless on this issue and says that no error code is stored and cannot replicate problem. My vehicle has been the dealer three times for electronic door lock issues so I know they have been applying all of the latest updates. Has anyone else had this problem. The doorlock problem appears finally to be resolved however ........I am of course concerned that my power steering could fail while I am driving the vehicle......... Seriously considering dumping this car. Someone give me some good news that they had this issue and had it resolved...PLEASE! :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've seen this happen twice with my 1.4 manual Latitude, and once with another that I test drove last month. The power steering warning light stays on when you start the car, and there is a message in the message center, but from what I can tell, the power steering works just fine when this happens, and after a restart it's gone. My theory is that it's probably a momentary communication error related to the speed-sensing function of the power steering. It's obviously an electronic issue, not a mechanical one. With no pump or fluid, and the electric assist motor mounted right to the steering column, there's actually very little to go wrong mechanically with the power steering system. I actually like the Renegade's electric power steering a lot more than I thought I would.

·
Super Moderator
3,641 Posts
Kind of weird that they're saying there's no codes stored, that doesn't sound right. From what others have stated in other forum threads, I think that diagnostic codes are stored until actually cleared - even if the dummy-light goes away.
Anything that triggers the OBDII malfunction indicator lamp (i.e. MIL aka the check engine light) stores a code. Things that pop up the service X banner message may or may not set a code. I had issues with the sensor data out of range issue for the transmission. That got me a service engine and a MIL. In short order it got me a service 4wd, service ABS, service e-brake, service a bunch of other things.

The only codes stored were for the transmission, some data related to servie 4wd (becuase the car had disabled it and left it disabled), and some generic can-bus errors.

Best guess the dealership and I had was that all the other warnings were triggered by the TPM/BCM sending and receiving really corrupted data due to the out of range sensor data bug.

So it is possible to get a dash display without a persistent code set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is definitely no power steering in my case. In two of the instances the power steering message was followed by 'Service Air Bag' message. Great...no steering and no air bag.. :) In the most recent instance I only received the power steering message. I don't feel like the power steering will fail but don't have the same confidence in the electronic controls in general. It is just that I live in Chicago and I bought this vehicle early summer....with all of the electrical history I have had (door lock ****/dead battery) and now this last item (hopefully)....and we move into winter with minus temperatures. I appreciate very much that you both have commented and in CLShifters instance validated a similar/same issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, Since this post I haven't had a reoccurence of this issue so I am tempting fate here by saying that I think the problem has been resolved with the bus load of software updates I have had. All of my problems (door lock, dead battery, power steering failure) seem to be behind me and I am back in love with my Renegade.

·
Super Moderator
3,641 Posts
Well, Since this post I haven't had a reoccurence of this issue so I am tempting fate here by saying that I think the problem has been resolved with the bus load of software updates I have had. All of my problems (door lock, dead battery, power steering failure) seem to be behind me and I am back in love with my Renegade.
Glad to hear it, I hope it sticks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been having the same issue lately. Took it to the dealer, they tried to act like because I had Canbus leds in the DRLs it somehow messes up the vehicles fragile software, so they couldn't see evidence of the issue, but they took care of it I guess. They applied yet another update, hopefully mine doesn't return either, because I am getting quite tired of going to the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the third time now at startup I have received a 'Service Power Steering' dashboard message....and the vehicle has no power steering. I have 3000 miles on my vehicle. After I restart the vehicle all is good. The dealer seems to be clueless on this issue and says that no error code is stored and cannot replicate problem. My vehicle has been the dealer three times for electronic door lock issues so I know they have been applying all of the latest updates. Has anyone else had this problem. The doorlock problem appears finally to be resolved however ........I am of course concerned that my power steering could fail while I am driving the vehicle......... Seriously considering dumping this car. Someone give me some good news that they had this issue and had it resolved...PLEASE! :)
Same problem here- except total loss of steering while on highway. Numerous electrical issues, 7 total since May 2015, 16 days and counting in service bay and not driveable. This car is a nightmare. They don't know how to service this vehicle and all I get is a runaround - second time with Jeep advocate, now I just want to give the car back and walk away. Exciting car, major letdown.

·
Registered
430 Posts
All Renegades, from what I can gather, have power steering. It is just not hydraulic, but electric. There is an electric motor under the dash connected to the steering shaft.

·
Registered
829 Posts
All Renegades, from what I can gather, have power steering. It is just not hydraulic, but electric. There is an electric motor under the dash connected to the steering shaft.
You are correct, the electric is just supposed to change ratios tho. Don't have one to go look at sadly...damnit. But I'm surprised, very much, if the steering just goes dead if the motor fails and leaves you without steering, that's silly.

Haven't had it happen to me, so idk 100%

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
You are correct, the electric is just supposed to change ratios tho. Don't have one to go look at sadly...damnit. But I'm surprised, very much, if the steering just goes dead if the motor fails and leaves you without steering, that's silly.

Haven't had it happen to me, so idk 100%

The electric unit IS the power assist. It can vary the assist, not the ratio. The ratio, if variable, would be done in the steering rack. That is why it is called electric power steering.

There is a direct connection between the steering wheel and steering rack, so if the power unit goes out or if the vehicle losses power, one can still steer. This is something people are not aware of. If the engine dies and all electrical power is lost, one can still steer and brake.

·
Registered
829 Posts
That's what I assumed, as the Q50 is the only one I know of with complete electric settering.

My Abarth has variable rate steering and uses a near identical system as the Renegade.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.