Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue with my Jeep Renny 2017 limited. I was driving it and the power steering service came up along with the air bag only if the car stops. Then when I stopped the car it wouldn't turn off?? I'm a little lost any help?? The car runs fine otherwise and the issue just started?

· Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Welcome!

Hmmm... Weird electrical issue. Renegade is five or six years old.

How old is the battery?
Like said above 9 out of 10 times it is the battery.
Search is your friend.

· Registered
2,202 Posts
The battery is probably 3 years old. I figured the shop would have checked that first.
I assume you're the OP? :)

Yeah, the first thing a shop should do is a good load test. It's there now, but you hadn't had it to a shop yet when you first posted... ;)

The battery should still be good after only three years. Should...

· Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Normally it's the angle/clock-spring sensor on these electrically assisted power steering systems that cause issues.

· Registered
2016 Trailhawk
4 Posts
I have it at the shop and I hope it is the battery.
Not the battery. EXACT same thing happened to my 2016 Trailhawk. Power steering light - airbag light- and the car would not shut off. The only way I got it to turn off was by pulling the fuel pump fuse. Changed the battery- did not solve the problem. I read a post here where they recommended changing the ignition switch. That SO FAR solved the problem. BUT electrical problems can still lurk in the backround. If that car loses power steering at high speeds, it can be a dangerous thing since it is so heavy and hard to manually steer.

· Registered
2016 Trailhawk
4 Posts
They said it might be ignition switch…they have a guy coming from dodge to run tests to pin point it. Thank you guys so much for your help i’ll keep y’all updated
YES PLEASE let us know. The iginition switch from Mopar was $23 and it's easy to switch out. Make sure your guy does a scan after the install to wipe out all the codes and then to check it again to see if any more codes show up.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have an issue with my Jeep Renny 2017 limited. I was driving it and the power steering service came up along with the air bag only if the car stops. Then when I stopped the car it wouldn't turn off?? I'm a little lost any help?? The car runs fine otherwise and the issue just started?
Trust me. Get your ignition switch replaced. That is the issue. Short in the ignition switch. My 2015 Renny did the same thing.

It is a short that makes the computer think the car is still on even when the key is removed. It causes all sorts of error codes like the ones you encountered. (I wrote the original post on this a while back. The dealer had my Jeep for over a month and I had to research the issue and take them a printout of a webpage I found that said this was the issue. After demanding they order and replace the switch all was well … this was after they tried to sell me two batteries).

My Renny has been flawless for the last three years.

· Registered
2016 Trailhawk
4 Posts
Trust me. Get your ignition switch replaced. That is the issue. Short in the ignition switch. My 2015 Renny did the same thing.

It is a short that makes the computer think the car is still on even when the key is removed. It causes all sorts of error codes like the ones you encountered. (I wrote the original post on this a while back. The dealer had my Jeep for over a month and I had to research the issue and take them a printout of a webpage I found that said this was the issue. After demanding they order and replace the switch all was well … this was after they tried to sell me two batteries).

My Renny has been flawless for the last three years.
So far, so good with my Trailhawk that had the same problems. Replaced the ignition switch. But for me, it's only been a month. I am really
worried that the power steering will go out when I'm doing 60. So I gotta ask: no power steering light for the past 3 years for you?

· Registered
2,202 Posts
I am really worried that the power steering will go out when I'm doing 60.
I've never had it happen to me; but it "only" means that the electro-mechanical power steering assist is out. You still have steering -- remember when cars didn't have power steering at all? ;)

At highway speed, you may not even notice a difference. Parallel parking would suck, though. Owner's Manual: "Even if the power steering assistance is no longer operational, it is still possible to steer the vehicle. Under these conditions there will be a substantial increase in steering effort, especially at low speeds and during parking maneuvers."

I'm pretty-sure most vehicles these days have electro-mechanical steering assist.

If you want to try it out while parked, turn on the ignition without starting the engine. Your steering should be unlocked, but the power assist should be disabled.

· Registered
2016 Trailhawk
4 Posts
Yes you are right when the car is traveling at high speeds it’s easier to steer manually. The problem is when you slow down it’s very hard to maneuver and it feels a little dangerous especially in traffic because the car is so heavy. If you have to make it to the side of the road in an emergency such as no power steering that’s not a good situation to be in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts