Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving my dads 2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude pretty much since he bought it back in March, or April of this year and it seems like there is not enough power to get up and go. I am not saying there is a problem. I am use to a 3.6L Journey, so I am not trying to compare, but it just seems like I have to push the peddle most all the way to the floor to make it go. Is it just me? Thoughts/answers please, Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No problems here. Press the accel pedal - car moves. Simple.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I take it that you are in the USA? What engine/gearbox does the Latitude in question have?

My UK spec 1.4 turbo 6MT has 140 hp and while it ain't gonna win a drag race, it is pretty peppy. Drop down a cog or two and floor the gas pedal and it will pick up speed well enough for what it is. As I have said elsewhere, the Renegade ain't no Lamborghini, but in every day circumstances it has enough poke.

If you have the 3.6L Dodge Journey with 283 hp (I'm guessing), then you will find the Renegade a slug in comparison. Take a drive in a Grand Cherokee SRT Red Vapor then drive the 3.6 Journey and the Journey will feel like a slug. Chalk and cheese my friend ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I cannot comment on Renegades with the 2.4 and the 9 speed automatic, but with the 1.4/6 speed manual, I find that spooling it up to 3500-4000 is needed to really get the engine to start pulling more strongly....without a turbo gauge it's not easy to tell if that's part of the turbo lag or just the way the engine's torque curve works. Two of our other cars are turbo Saabs with lots of torque at lower engine speeds, so it does take some mental adjustment when changing to the Renegade. That said, I find that shifting the Jeep at lower speeds is perfectly fine for most types of urban traffic, even it is not a going to keep up with the 5 liter Mustangs:). But driving that way it's still pretty easy to keep fuel economy close to or above 30 mpg.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
3,500 rpm and it gets moving. Probably the torque curve and for emissions. Cruising speed in 6th gear from 2,000 - 3,000 rpm and decent economy is attainable from a brick shape.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I find that there are times the 2.4L 9-speed does seem to lag, especially when it needs to downshift to accelerate. I usually downshift manually if I know I'm going to need to speed up quickly. That seems to reduce the lag.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Automatic or manual? As others have said, with the manual you can drop it a gear or two to get the revs up and it'll pull out just fine; I'm guessing many of the lack-of-power complaints come from people driving automatic Renegades, equipped with a transmission that is tuned for economy rather than performance. That's one of the beauties of the manual--you, the driver, can decide to switch to "performance mode" simply by dropping a couple of gears, you don't have to wait for the CPU to decide that yes, you really do want to accelerate!

Of course, even with the manual, you have to be aware that this is a pretty hefty vehicle to be hauled around by an engine with less displacement than many motorcycles...really, if you want a Porsche, you gotta buy a Porsche.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I find that there are times the 2.4L 9-speed does seem to lag, especially when it needs to downshift to accelerate. I usually downshift manually if I know I'm going to need to speed up quickly. That seems to reduce the lag.
poor programming of the 9spd and its common to see a down shift hesitation. My KL was much worse though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
As small as the gas tanks are, I use 93 octane, problem solved, going to try a tank of medium grade (89 octane) next and compare. I know I can certainly feel the difference in my Wrangler, that's all she gets is 93 octane.

·
Registered
275 Posts
As small as the gas tanks are, I use 93 octane, problem solved, going to try a tank of medium grade (89 octane) next and compare. I know I can certainly feel the difference in my Wrangler, that's all she gets is 93 octane.

Is yours a turbo 1.4 or a NA 2.4?

Mine gets exclusively 87 octane gas with it being the NA 2.4. The Jag always got 93 octane gas with it being a high compression 4.0 V8.

I always thought the 2.4 Renegade would have a negligible difference with the 93 octane gas. On the Jag, the 87, 89, and 91 octane gas would cause it to retard the time (or advance it?), it would sputter, pre-detonate, and it felt like a nearly 50% reduction in power. Also, on the Jag, the fuel economy (on an already somewhat thirsty car) would drop sharply.

If you see any difference between the 89 octane and the 93 octane on the Renegade, please let us know.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Going to a premium fuel will not make any difference. They are designed to run optimally on the recommended fuel. I would not recommend wasting any dollars on more expensive fuel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2.4L TH... I've noticed a slight lag.Coming off a stop quickly, there's a ever so slight pause/hesitation before the TH picks up and goes. Not a very comforting sensation when you are launching off a stop sign while trying to fight traffic.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Going to a premium fuel ALWAYS makes a difference in every car that I have owned, the renegade is no different. Better take off, better mileage which makes me save money on highway use. cleaner burn all around.

Reactions: dgr401

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is yours a turbo 1.4 or a NA 2.4?

Mine gets exclusively 87 octane gas with it being the NA 2.4. The Jag always got 93 octane gas with it being a high compression 4.0 V8.

I always thought the 2.4 Renegade would have a negligible difference with the 93 octane gas. On the Jag, the 87, 89, and 91 octane gas would cause it to retard the time (or advance it?), it would sputter, pre-detonate, and it felt like a nearly 50% reduction in power. Also, on the Jag, the fuel economy (on an already somewhat thirsty car) would drop sharply.

If you see any difference between the 89 octane and the 93 octane on the Renegade, please let us know.
Yes, no problem, like I said , I can tell the difference between the 87 to 93, I would rather go with the 89, but i will let you know on the next tank. My 95 Wrangler 2.5 will not accept 87 octane at all without the noticeable "ping".

·
Registered
534 Posts
Going to a premium fuel ALWAYS makes a difference in every car that I have owned, the renegade is no different. Better take off, better mileage which makes me save money on highway use. cleaner burn all around.
On pre-1996 cars yes what you state is correct. Since the OBDII's of 1996 and on all vehicles with computer controlled timing/ knock sensor's this is not the case. The computer adjusts the timing for the octane. The performance will remain identical. Now if the manufacturer requires premium you should use it. If it recommends it you can use your discretion but will likely see no difference is performance or mpg's.
I am sorry but I think you are getting a placebo affect.
http://www.consumerreports.org/fuel-economy/why-you-might-not-actually-need-premium-gas/
more
http://www.truecar.com/blog/2011/03/03/premium-vs-regular-gas/
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-premium-g/
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/regular-or-premium
In summary I would say again nobody should waste their money on anything other than the the required fuel. However there is nothing wrong with using the recommended fuel but you probably will not see any improvement in efficiency or performance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.