Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of convenience-sake I'm going to refer to the area under the cargo floor as the trunk. Our Traikhawk has the full-sized, matching spare wheel/tire, plus the jack kit on the right, and a large foam insert thing on the left. Lots and lots of extra room around the wheel, and we noticed that the styrofoam thing looks like it's the same size as our triangles kit...

We spent some time repacking the trunk. Took out the foam insert, positioned the jack kit all of the way to the back, and managed to put a lot of supplies inside, some that are good for roadside issues, some good for trail issues. Managed to pack-in a recovery strap (wrapped in a handtowel with velcro so it doesn't rattle around), a windbreaker, the triangles, an orange vest if a tire has to be changed on the side of the freeway, a first-aid kit with gloves and jumper cables, an ice scraper (yeah, real useful in the desert), a roll of blue shop towels, and a normal cloth towel. Never be without your towel.

So, what have you stowed for emergencies?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great ideas! How about a small toolkit like screwdrivers, adjustable wrench etc.? Maybe a couple bottles of water and a bit of food in case you get stranded?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great ideas! How about a small toolkit like screwdrivers, adjustable wrench etc.? Maybe a couple bottles of water and a bit of food in case you get stranded?
I'm looking into how to make a toolkit that fits underneath of the wheel. I don't have enough experience working on this truck to know what I'd need though, so I expect it'll be awhile coming before it's done.

Cell phone, AAA card and visa. LOL!
Heh. There was a stretch of I-40 on the way to Las Vegas where one night we struck debris in the road, and ended up pulled-over next to two other vehicle that struck the same debris. A tractor-trailer had apparently lost its front bumper, and the bumper cut the tire sidewall up pretty high. We were pretty lucky, one guy in a customized flat-front Econoline had two tires affected, one of which the wheel got cut-into due to how low-profile the tires were.

None of our cell phones worked in this particular stretch of road, so calling AAA was not an option. If this kind of thing can be a problem on an Interstate then it could be a lot worse on a back-country trail.

Reactions: KyRenegade

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's great! I was thinking about what to replace that foam insert with. I've been doing stuff in other inside spaces and the rack, but you've given me some inspiration.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm wondering if a short farm/hi-lift jack could fit, possibly up against the seat. Downside of that is it may be very hard to get at when it's really needed.

We're going to get the hitch kit from RenegadeReady at some point, so I may look for a hitch mount that holds a hi-lift jack horizontally as a sort of second rear bumper, to be used only on road trips.

Reactions: KyRenegade

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine is similar but I flipped the tire for even more space (30' recovery strap sits nicely in the wheel). My come-along fits nicely along side the tire where the foam insert was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So it sounds like most of you have taken out the foam inserts in the trunk/spare tire area with the trailhawk? I have wanted to take them out as they continue to squeak as I drive around town! Any reason to keep them? Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
My kit from June...

I did this in June when I got my Renegade. I have a tool kit and jumper cables in the upper left. Lower left is tire inflation/repair kit. Upper right are "pioneer tools" (and axe, shovel, pick axe), and the spare tire kit is on the right. I have gloves, a towel, wrenches, socket wrenches, screwdrivers, road flares, safety vest, rain gear, first aid kit...

Moved the ice scraper (useful in Colorado) and added a water purifier.

Planning on flipping the tire to fit a recovery strap.

There's other stuff in there, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did this in June when I got my Renegade. I have a tool kit and jumper cables in the upper left. Lower left is tire inflation/repair kit. Upper right are "pioneer tools" (and axe, shovel, pick axe), and the spare tire kit is on the right. I have gloves, a towel, wrenches, socket wrenches, screwdrivers, road flares, safety vest, rain gear, first aid kit...

Moved the ice scraper (useful in Colorado) and added a water purifier.

Planning on flipping the tire to fit a recovery strap.

There's other stuff in there, but you get the idea.
I first saw that picture and thought, "I didn't take a picture of my trunk like that!

I see with the position of the strap, great minds think alike... I didn't want mine to be too hard to get to if it were needed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
More stuff to consider when remote off road...

Tubeless tire repair kit (plugs, cement, sealer)
Spare wheel bolts, 12v tire compressor
tools for our fasteners (torx, etc)
Jack stand, hydraulic jack, wood blocks
bailing wire, duct tape, gasket sealer
ratchet straps, work light, solar charger
all spare fluids, spare headlight bulb
signal flares, plastic tarp, electric wire
basic survival kit, e.g. fema go kit
portable two way radio 8+ watts

·
Registered
124 Posts
A couple of things. If you flip the spare tire over, it will give you a bit more room for storage, that is what I did with my spare and it gave me room to fit a bag in that holds the bulk of my stuff. Also, what recovery strap are you using that would rattle? If it is one that has the metal hooks on the end, I personally would get rid of it for one that has the loop on each end. When I would go play with groups in Oregon, many would not let you use a strap with metal hooks because they can become dangerous projectiles if the strap were to break or come loose.

Overall, looks good.

Erik

·
Registered
114 Posts
My renegade didn't come with a spare tire, it only came with a tire repair kit. But here's how mine is organized. I removed the MySky roof cover bag and stowed it away since I don't really even during the summer, plus I could use that space for other items which are showed in the photos.

I bought a boot rack from walmart for $5 and used it as my organizer and to prevent my items from sliding back and forth under when making turns. It works out pretty well.

I also bought a rubbermaid hang hooks to hang my gloves and water, and use it mostly to hang my grocery bags so they dont slide around while driving. It's really helpful!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts