Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I'm able to get my Volkswagen Convertible from the shop for the 3rd time in six months, I'm proceeding to my local dealer for my new Renegade Latitude. So far, this forum has helped me research and decide on:

Yes/No for extended MOPAR warranty and fair price to negotiate: I'm a solid *Yes* after my recent experience and know that if my dealer won't negotiate, I have resources here for a much fairer price.

No Spare Tire: Negotiating a price reduction to purchase a kit on ebay.

Color choice: I was on the fence about waiting for 2016 models, but I'm a Sierra Blue girl so 2015 it shall be.

Are there any other obvious things I should be aware of / contemplating? I'm purchasing this for myself and looking to pass it down in 3-4 years to my daughter for her 16th. If Jeep treats us well, we may become a Jeep family at that time.

Thank you all so much for providing such a wonderful resource for new buyers / new Jeep owners.

Donna

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, I'm looking at the window sticker I've printed online from dealer inventory. I'm getting the 4x2 with everything basically except MySky. Dealer only had one TrailHawk in stock. Very cool, but basically I'm in a time crunch. I have an appointment Thursday to negotiate final price, so want to walk in feeling confident.

**editing** And, thank you for the kind welcome!

Reactions: syzygy

·
Registered
113 Posts
I calculated the Edmunds.com True Market Value on their web site, making sure that it corresponded exactly to the vehicle I was interested in. I printed it out, showed it to the dealer, offered that price and they accepted. Negotiation over. Could I have got a better price? Maybe, but it was below invoice with rebates. Just a tip if you don't like negotiating. I also got the lifetime extended warranty for $100 over dealer cost.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank you! I think having the Edmunds quote might save me an additional $1,000. Great tip!
In that case you owe me a couple of rounds of drinks :)

It certainly made my life easier. You don't want to be negotiating down from the sticker price, you want to negotiate up from the dealer cost and that is what this gives you. I felt that when I presented my printout, the attitude of the dealer was "this guy has done his homework, let's give him what he wants, get him out the door and move on to more profitable customers".

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In that case you owe me a couple of rounds of drinks :)

It certainly made my life easier. You don't want to be negotiating down from the sticker price, you want to negotiate up from the dealer cost and that is what this gives you. I felt that when I presented my printout, the attitude of the dealer was "this guy has done his homework, let's give him what he wants, get him out the door and move on to more profitable customers".

Let us know how it goes.

:nerd: I may not be much of a haggler, but I can research! Actually I owe a few posters on here...I'll buy a round for all! My appointment is tomorrow, so I will let you guys know how it goes! Thanks again.

Reactions: syzygy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Long story short, after a week of haggling between 2 dealerships on identical models (One advertised at $19,999 the other $20,200), and applying dealership/manufacturer incentives of $500 bonus cash + $500 dealer cash + $1000 for leasing a competitors vehicle in household I got mine for 21,700 OTD... It took a whole bunch of being flat out told NO, that it can't be done, it's as low as we can make it, we're losing money on the deal yadda yadda... It finally came down to a handshake, saying thank you for trying and walking out the door. Sitting in my car ready to pull off salesman runs out, says he just yelled at his management team for letting me walk and that they said to go ahead and do the deal... They 'rolled' it so to speak. YMMV. it worked out for me. They have a whole list of rebates that are available, make sure your salesman shows you.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yes, I'm looking at the window sticker I've printed online from dealer inventory. I'm getting the 4x2 with everything basically except MySky. Dealer only had one TrailHawk in stock. Very cool, but basically I'm in a time crunch. I have an appointment Thursday to negotiate final price, so want to walk in feeling confident.

**editing** And, thank you for the kind welcome!
So you are getting the Front Wheel Drive version, Loaded, in Latitude trim? Going with automatic transmission? Also don't worry about getting ripped off, dealers aren't really making much money on the Renegade even if you pay sticker for it, there is very little markup on these. Jeep is pretty much making all the money and we can't do anything about that! Just do the edmunds thing, and you should be good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Long story short, after a week of haggling between 2 dealerships on identical models (One advertised at $19,999 the other $20,200), and applying dealership/manufacturer incentives of $500 bonus cash + $500 dealer cash + $1000 for leasing a competitors vehicle in household I got mine for 21,700 OTD... It took a whole bunch of being flat out told NO, that it can't be done, it's as low as we can make it, we're losing money on the deal yadda yadda... It finally came down to a handshake, saying thank you for trying and walking out the door. Sitting in my car ready to pull off salesman runs out, says he just yelled at his management team for letting me walk and that they said to go ahead and do the deal... They 'rolled' it so to speak.
This is exactly what I was trying to avoid (see my post above). I don't mind haggling but I'm not going to get into a fist fight over the last $50 when I'm spending $30K. If they make it a pleasant experience for me they can have it.

YMMV. it worked out for me. They have a whole list of rebates that are available, make sure your salesman shows you.
IMO you should know about all that before you go in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.