Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all Renegade owners, forum readers and guests!!!
Not too long ago I posted a couple of threads on this forum dealing with the 6.5 radio system. I wanted to refresh this subject again and give everyone some updates on what is going on with myself, VARenegade and I believe a few others on this website. My radio/ infotainment system (6.5an) currently does not have the YELP feature and my Uconnect advantage account (free for 1st year) shows "pending" according to my radio system andI have some weird stuff go on with screen menu. Yelp is part of the advantage package and should be available but the Mobile Apps feature (Pandora, Aha, etc) are not compatible at this time with the 6.5 system. At first I believed it was but it clearly is not. Uconnect folks have told me over and over we do not have the mobile apps feature like some other vehicles do which my 14 Cherokee does have. Anyways, I have been trying for over 3.5 weeks working with Uconnect Access folks and my dealership (did not really do squat) to try and figure out why this problem is occurring to me and other owners with 6.5 system. So far, no fix and Uconnect folks have walked me through countless factory resets, soft-resets, to re-sending data to going into engineer menu and inputting some type of code and also to re-setting the modem system. My dealership has contacted tech folks ( thats what I have been told) who in turn stated they contacted folks who make this radio and still no info on them yet. Have even sent JeepCares (on this forum) message for help which he is working on and trying his best to also help me with this problem. I am still baffled as to why no one can re-install system software or just go ahead and order me a new 6.5 system and then take my old radio and send it back for techs to tear apart, troubleshoot, etc????? Me not having the YELP feature and my soft touch menus acting weird sometimes is not the end of the world. The point is I paid over 27K for this brand new vehicle 33 days ago that is supposed to have these features and to work as advertised but it doesn't. I have probably spent over 8+ hrs on the phone, have spoke with maybe 6 diff techs and used a lot of my personal time with them while on the phone to try and troubleshoot this problem as they instruct me to do this, try that, reset this, etc... One tech even stated she would give me some free account time credited back or square me away with something but that never happened and has not been brought up again. Please just fix the problem by giving me a new radio system or something. I know others have had much worse happen with their new Renny (like trans going bad, no start, water leaks, etc) and i feel really bad for them. Whats everyone else's take on my story???
Thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
**** sorry to hear you still haven't had this resolved. I agree they just need to replace your head unit and send the original back to diagnostics. Keep us updated please.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
It's advertised features for which you paid money. I'd be asking to be compensated for something I paid for but never got. It'd be easy enough to document it is in the brochure and not working for you. Hit up small claims court for the cost of the 6.5 option. FCA can show up if they like, but they'll lose more than likely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Busted Radio

The touchscreen on my radio system doesn't work very well at all. Buttons are pressed when I have my hands nowhere near the radio. The buttons that I press often don't work. I will be contacting the dealer today.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If your system is lacking in some features on the 6.5, run the update from the website for mopar, same as the dealer would. They'll also do it for you free of charge. Have you had the update put in yet? The one that also is for "hacking" is the one that will add some features like the wifi and some other small things. Not sure if it will add ALL of what you're looking for or have been promised.

Mine came shipped without being activated for all it's features, and we successfully ran the update. Uconnect folks called from the Jeep told us the update would install the wifi feature, and it added some others as well. The radio, however, still has issues like not holding settings, and horrible AM rendition. Yes, it changes button settings without being touched as well.

This forum has TONS of posts, not just mine about the radio being awful in performance where functions of the car "holding" in memory and other things like volume, random changes of dashboard readouts, etc are concerned. A true horror story of "rush to put in the car. It's time we all start considering filing complaints officially through available channels. I fully agree, for $27k, you should have working, reliable in-dash entertainment and information. I feel the same way, but, as a broadcaster, I was VERY put off that the Uconnect people told me AND my station engineer who is no dummy and KNOWS the AM is flawed in the radio to politely "get lost."

Maybe we, who have had issues with 6.5 need to compare notes, and see what is possible in terms of mass-complaints to Jeep and Uconnect (made by Harman.)

I did a writeup of my problems on a worldwide site called "satelliteguys.us" and you can find it here:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Could we all get together for a class action suit? I want what I was led to believe I'd have. I still have problems with the overlay lines in the backup camera disappearing infrequently. Sometimes the radio changes stations. I'm an amateur radio operator, I KNOW the AM rendition is crap. I fixed radio's in the army and an old Korean war era 524 sounds better than what's in the Renegade (okay, some exaggeration). When can I expect the uConnect software for iOS to do ANYTHING? When can I get into the apps store for my uConnect 6.5 and get an app?

This is some pretty significant oversight/lack of quality. From what I understand if I pull the uConnect system out, the Jeep won't run. So I can't even swap in something that will do what I need it to.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Elsewhere on this forum, I posted that my Uconnect needed to be updated to "stabilize" my electronics, and here's what they did:

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...uconnect-software-available-8.html#post414921

I also posted that I had "stability" here:http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...-5-0-reverts-am-radio-startup.html#post418145 But, that was only 4 days in to the updates that were done.

It all went out the window tonight. Drove my car to get new more "wintry" tires. Parked. The automatic parking brake function engaged. I had it shut off and had not TOUCHED it since the repairs above. Checked the tire pressure readings. They had all switched to "bars" instead of PSI, too. Then, arriving home, the headlights had defaulted back to "instant off" from the preferred setting. NONE Of these settings had been touched by me since the dealer updates above.

Just sent note to the dealer that I need it picked up for service again....This will be attempt number two at keeping the electronics properly functioning in a Uconnect 6.5 system. I'm losing faith in this buggy day, by day. And yes, anyone going for "group action..." get with me! I'm angry. Not at my dealer, but at the fact the crappy electronics that control our driving and our SAFETY are allowed in this car.

Thank you to the post above for noting the AM rendition, too! It's not just "narrow" but it's SHREDDED and unlistenable, even on a properly processed 5kw AM STEREO broadcast which makes MONO sound GREAT on any radio but this one!

And yes, it was super cold today, too....about 13 degrees. Isn't JEEP Supposed to handle rough weather? WE ALL deserve better. Will update when the dealer is finished with try number 2 on stabilizing the electronics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 5.0 radio is also "possesed"! Changes channels on it's own, switches to AM, Bluetooth jumps back and forth from radio to handset. Been to the dealer 7 times so far. Last time, they replaced the head unit with brand new one, special ordered direct from jeep! 3 days later, same **** started happening!!! Class action suit sounds good to me!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've recently taken delivery of a 2016 Trailhawk with the Beats Upgrade in the UK and within 10 miles I found out that there seems to be an issue...

First thought it was dropping the right channel but since discovered its the announcements from the head unit....Speedlimits, cameras etc... it drops over to the left channel and plays the announcement on the right but barely audible if at all also the volume is, as most people say is not great....

I also get track skip bit like , for those who listen to vinyl, jumps the groove does it on streaming and USB

I'm wondering if its actually the Head unit and the way they've wired the speakers up rather than the actual Beats Amp etc...

Anyway its going back in for the technicians to take a look!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.