Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum area for this, but I'll put it here since it involves the headlights.

Recently a quail took out the clear plastic lens that covers the headlight on my Renegade. I went to the dealer to see about replacing it, and it can't be replaced by itself; you have to replace the entire headlight housing! The housing alone is over $250 and isn't easy to remove and replace (of course). The quote for the dealer to fix was $500! My insurance deductible is $250, so at least I'll hopefully get reimbursed for half. Anyway, I thought I would give a heads up regarding the potential repair cost for anyone interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow good to know, sorry about your quail incident, hopefully someone will be making some kind of lens protective grating soon.
Yeah, I was thinking some people might want to get something like that if they actually take it offroad. The thing that's most annoying about it is that it seems like such a fragile part for being on the front of the car. You would think they would make it a little thicker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$250? Nice, my last car's headlight housings are STILL $300 a pop at 10 years old. That's just modern headlight assemblies for you.
I don't mind paying that for the headlight assembly, but what is annoying is that I have replace the entire assembly just to replace the plastic cover. On top of that, they didn't make it easy to remove and replace the assembly. It looks like you have to disassemble half the front end to replace the housing! The labor for that is what's driving up the cost of the repair.

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
I don't mind paying that for the headlight assembly, but what is annoying is that I have replace the entire assembly just to replace the plastic cover. On top of that, they didn't make it easy to remove and replace the assembly. It looks like you have to disassemble half the front end to replace the housing! The labor for that is what's driving up the cost of the repair.
That's also most cars. They are not open modules, they are sealed units to keep the weather outside and away from the bulbs. None of them are constructed so if you smash a hole in the clear bit, you can just buy a new clear bit, and haven't been for 10-20 years at least. How much disassembly you have to do to get them out varies though. My last car was easier for the headlight assemblies, but that was balanced out by fun stuff like changing both fog light bulbs had an estimated 3 hours of labor attached. $20 of bulbs, $360 of labor.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you use your insurance company to pay for some of it they might go up on your policy by losing a credit you might be getting for never filing a claim. I made that mistake once, that is why I have $1K deductible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.