Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Why are people so afraid of fundamental truths? Women are cuter then men, they dress better, present themselves better and are typically far more shapely. Most men are rugged(ish) dirtier and far more square than most women.

Its men who are upset about this, somewhere along the way it became offensive to refer to a man as rugged.

Regardless, why are peoples lives so terrible that we need full on exposes about the potential gender roles cars can play. I also got a huge kick out of him trying to subtly impart that he has a larger than average sausage size...

I'd drive one with pride and not for a minute worry about my "masculinity." I think taking a tiny 2 cylinder off-road vehicle anywhere while surrounded by massive SUVs and trucks is plenty of proof of toughness, anyway.
Seriously think about how we refer to styling, chunky and blocky, square jawed-esque things are refered to as masculine looking. Curvier, flowing and warm designs are often said to be female. I see no reason for people to be offended.

Take the Jag Etype for example, that is as feminine a design as I can think of, curvy, flowing hips with a great ass. its one of the most sought after shapes.

I'm sorry this is just fabricated outrage for the sake of a story.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I like the both of them but would get the Renegade since it has all I want.
Too bad with the 500x being from the car maker it is, with the styling it has, etc.... idiots will continue to suggest it's a womens car.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Why are people so afraid of fundamental truths? Women are cuter then men, they dress better, present themselves better and are typically far more shapely. Most men are rugged(ish) dirtier and far more square than most women.
I think that this statement is very problematic. These are the reputations that men and women have in society, but in actuality there is such a spectrum of people that don't just fit into standard "masculine" and "feminine" stereotypes. Many women are tom boys, perhaps they are androgynous or something. There are many men who are better dressed than women out there. Some men are artists while some women like camping. That is all to say that a strict "men are like this and women are like that" is very simplistic and stereotypical.

Having said that, design can often be seen through a masculine and feminine lens. I think that using masculine and feminine to describe design can be okay, but we shouldn't use the same terms to paint men and women with broad strokes.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this but I do think that people see their cars as very representative of themselves. Minivans for family people, CUVs for soccer moms, muscle cars for men. In other areas I don't think there is quite the association. Men can have flowers in their house without it emasculating them.

It's a complicated issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The vehicles actually look virtually nothing alike, so I'm a bit confused by the "two sides of the gender coin" thing anyway. On the official Jeep Facebook page, the Renegade is regularly said to look just like various things, from a Honda Element, to a Nissan Juke to a Kia Soul. Since none of these cars even vaguely resemble each other, it just irriates me (though it probably shouldn't). It's like my mom saying, "cars today all look alike." No, no they don't. They really don't.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think that this statement is very problematic. These are the reputations that men and women have in society, but in actuality there is such a spectrum of people that don't just fit into standard "masculine" and "feminine" stereotypes. Many women are tom boys, perhaps they are androgynous or something. There are many men who are better dressed than women out there. Some men are artists while some women like camping. That is all to say that a strict "men are like this and women are like that" is very simplistic and stereotypical.

Having said that, design can often be seen through a masculine and feminine lens. I think that using masculine and feminine to describe design can be okay, but we shouldn't use the same terms to paint men and women with broad strokes.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this but I do think that people see their cars as very representative of themselves. Minivans for family people, CUVs for soccer moms, muscle cars for men. In other areas I don't think there is quite the association. Men can have flowers in their house without it emasculating them.

It's a complicated issue.
The reason its problematic is because people are uncomfortable with their own roles. The reason its problematic is because its simple and true, you can't fight it. Women are this way, men are that way. A women who camps still has more in common with other females in terms of behaviour than she does with males, regardless of the activities. Then again this has nothing to do with a man who paints or a women who fishes, those are activities and interests and completely superfluous in this context.

We use these words as descriptors and symbols. If a man wants to adapt feminine characteristics thats fine, but that doesn't change what masculine is. I'm not sorry if that is offensive to people, its a simple truth of the world that we need to stop dancing around in fear of hurting someone's feelings.

Men and women are physically built differently, our shapes are different. Most women have a coke bottle esque shape (regardless of size) Broader hips then males, larger bust, lithe gait. These are physical facts, and they seep into our designs, exactly as they should. We were created in Gods likeness and we create things in our own likeness...

Watch nature and gender is clear, does Papa bear get offended that he's not allowed to play the role of Mother Goose? And before someone gets uppity, Mama Lion is the vicious one, but look at that figure!

Remember if this offends you, the problem is you, and that needs to considered...

·
Registered
953 Posts
The reason its problematic is because people are uncomfortable with their own roles. The reason its problematic is because its simple and true, you can't fight it. Women are this way, men are that way. A women who camps still has more in common with other females in terms of behaviour than she does with males, regardless of the activities. Then again this has nothing to do with a man who paints or a women who fishes, those are activities and interests and completely superfluous in this context.

We use these words as descriptors and symbols. If a man wants to adapt feminine characteristics thats fine, but that doesn't change what masculine is. I'm not sorry if that is offensive to people, its a simple truth of the world that we need to stop dancing around in fear of hurting someone's feelings.

Men and women are physically built differently, our shapes are different. Most women have a coke bottle esque shape (regardless of size) Broader hips then males, larger bust, lithe gait. These are physical facts, and they seep into our designs, exactly as they should. We were created in Gods likeness and we create things in our own likeness...

Watch nature and gender is clear, does Papa bear get offended that he's not allowed to play the role of Mother Goose? And before someone gets uppity, Mama Lion is the vicious one, but look at that figure!

Remember if this offends you, the problem is you, and that needs to considered...
I don't have a problem at all with feminine and masculine as design descriptors, but I think that you shouldn't assume that all men and all women have certainly personality traits. This leads to a slippery slope of saying that men and powerful and women are weak and other sexist things like that. Personality and individuality have far more to do with who a person is than their gender.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
For as many generations have gone down to the sea boats and ships have been named to reflect the character of the ship or its mission.

Female - Mary Rose (look at those lines)
The Mary Rose was a carrack-type warship of the English Tudor navy of King Henry VIII.

Male - Edmund Fitzgerald (rugged workhorse)
SS Edmund Fitzgerald was an American Great Lakes freighter that sank in a Lake Superior storm on November 10, 1975, with the loss of the entire crew of 29. When launched on June 8, 1958, she was the largest ship on North America's Great Lakes, and she remains the largest to have sunk there.

It has been slow on the Renegade news front so threads like this can go on and on, so before we get to deep into Psychoanalysis, how about we get back to the purpose of this forum as disscuss the latest news:

IT'S HERE, THE OFFICIAL MOPAR RENEGADE ACCESSORIES CATALOG:
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...5-renegade-mopar-accessories-2.html#post46001

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
In the end, just drive what you like and don't worry what some idiot has to say. People like to label things and people, if you like the 500x... GREAT, go for it.

It's like how people say the Miata is for women or gays

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.