Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening...

Just got my new 2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude. It says it comes with the Cold Weather package and an auxiliary PTC Heater.

Does anyone know what this is and how it works ? I don't see anything in the owners manual about it.

Blazer

·
Registered
580 Posts
A PTC heater is a Positive Temperature Coefficient heater. meaning it's a ceramic, electric heater. Since coolant and the heater core take a few minutes to get warm with a cold engine, you don't get heat right away. I can only imagine that the cold weather package includes an electric heater so that the C/C will blow warm air right away. At least that's what it sounds like to me. I have never before heard the cold weather package includes that feature.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
A PTC heater is a Positive Temperature Coefficient heater. meaning it's a ceramic, electric heater. Since coolant and the heater core take a few minutes to get warm with a cold engine, you don't get heat right away. I can only imagine that the cold weather package includes an electric heater so that the C/C will blow warm air right away. At least that's what it sounds like to me. I have never before heard the cold weather package includes that feature.
Yes mine has one of these. The manual calls it an "additional heater".

·
Registered
153 Posts
If it's anything like the one in my Audi Q3, it is a separate electrical heater that comes on at low temperature when the engine is cold - and means you get hot air delivered really quickly!

On the Audi, you needed to have the Air Conditioning switched on for it to work.

·
Registered
580 Posts
So how does this thing work?

Does it work well?
The HVAC fan gets cold air to flow over a ceramic heater disc (or discs) and blows the warmed-up air into the cabin. The PTC heater should be mounted somewhere between the cabin air filter and the dash air outlets, so probably buried inside the dashboard in the HVAC ducts. Should work fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The PTC heater

Hi guys. I just bought mycket first brand new jeep renegade 2016 dawn of justice (1.6L e torq). Where i live it gets rather cold during The Winters.
My jeep spec says.
Ptc temperature coefficient heater. I tredje Google withiut success. My question is dos it heat up The engine block and engine bay While below 0degrees. Anybody know?

·
Registered
394 Posts
No. It is a heating element in the HVAC system. When cold the PTC heater heats the air in the cabin so that it doesn't pull too much heat from the heater core. Since it isn't pulling heat from the heater core as much the motor heats up more quickly and the interior cabin heats up more quickly.

·
Registered
263 Posts
On my old VW and it appears this jeep, when cold, put the heater on hottest setting. This will activate the space heater in the system. Once engine temp shows normal, then lower heat as needed, b/c if yours is like mine it blasts heat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys. I called defa technical support and there heater wasnt finished yet for The renegade. But probable will be this year. But the nr 2 biggest manufacturer has got heater for renegade models1.6e torq, 1,4,2.0 could not find 2.4 tough. The company name is calix.se but The have shops all over the World. I am ordering mine today.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've found it in the 2016 Dawn Of Justice tech specs

"Engine
PTC (Positive Temp Co-efficent) heater"

according to the manual to activate it when

*outside temp low
*engine coolant temp low
*engine on
*fan speed set to at least 1st speed
*knob C turned completely clockwise to red section

"the heater is switched off when at least one of the conditions above is no longer verified"
"the power of the electric heater is modulate according to the battery voltage"

So I guess key bit of info to check for it is to dial the temp to max and have a least 1 or more clicks on the fan speed

I used to wear gloves in the xtrail in winter and just about got to work with warmth in the cabin, so looking very forward to using this more when it gets super cold, in jan + feb :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've found it in the 2016 Dawn Of Justice tech specs

"Engine
PTC (Positive Temp Co-efficent) heater"

according to the manual to activate it when

*outside temp low
*engine coolant temp low
*engine on
*fan speed set to at least 1st speed
*knob C turned completely clockwise to red section

"the heater is switched off when at least one of the conditions above is no longer verified"
"the power of the electric heater is modulate according to the battery voltage"

So I guess key bit of info to check for it is to dial the temp to max and have a least 1 or more clicks on the fan speed

I used to wear gloves in the xtrail in winter and just about got to work with warmth in the cabin, so looking very forward to using this more when it gets super cold, in jan + feb :)
Glad you posted this, because I probably would have never figured out how to use it without searching on the forum. It will be interesting to see how cold my shift knob gets in the winter. I'm glad it's plastic, and not real metal. I think with the heated steering wheel and this feature, I should be fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
...here in Greenland, I have gotten spoiled by the aux outside plug in (that activates the cabin internal heater)...I know the Renegade I'm looking at has the cold weather package with heated steering wheel, seats and this PTC heater...so I wonder how well it will all work when I take the vehicle out to ND?...

·
Registered
2 Posts
...here in Greenland, I have gotten spoiled by the aux outside plug in (that activates the cabin internal heater)...I know the Renegade I'm looking at has the cold weather package with heated steering wheel, seats and this PTC heater...so I wonder how well it will all work when I take the vehicle out to ND?...

Wow - greenland - what are the avg. temps there?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.