Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked. Has anyone put 16" rims on their Trailhawk yet? I went to American Tire Depot today and they told me that it can't be done, because of the brakes. I want to put plain black steelies on with a set of Cooper AT3 215/70/16. Any feed back would be great!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sales guy just said the brake system is bigger than the other models. So I am guessing the rotors, and calipers. Looking back a couple pages somebody posted a pick with a renegade with steelies and Mickey Thompson tires, but I am not sure it was a Trailhawk. Maybe I can go ask another tire shop and get a second opinion.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank all for the info. Asto that set up looks nice! For the ser up did you go to a mom and pop shop or a chain store? did you know what to order for the rims or did they know sizes ect. Just curious.

· Registered
119 Posts
Thank you for the kind words. I went to Americas Tire (Tire Barn if you're in the Midwest). Weren't too much help selecting wheels. I had to show him the wheels I wanted on the Tire Rack site which is where he ultimately ordered them. If you go on Tire Rack, and select "undersized options" for wheels after entering your vehicle info, they are the only steel rim that comes up. I paid the tire shop a reasonable mark up (paid more even though he was ordering them from the same place I could). One, I'm a salesman and I would appreciate it, two, I wanted to be able to expect warranty service were there any issues. My major kudos for them was due to the fact that he allowed me to just fit one tire to one wheel and they took the time to move it to both front and back locations, lower the car, and use a jack to compress the suspension to ensure it not only fit while parked, but also during suspension movement. Since the tire is non-returnable once fitted to a wheel and vice versa, it limited my risk of buying a complete set of each (including spares) to the cost of a single tire and wheel had they not fit. Be aware, the aftermarket programmable TPS monitors they used did not work. They had to order a set of OEM Mopar units which worked fine. They did not charge me for the increase in material cost, and never gave even a hint of disappointment or frustration about having to dismount and remount the tires. I've used them since I was a kid in Indiana. Great folks.

· Registered
2016 Trailhawk
170 Posts
I'm aggregating all the 16"\Trailhawk notes into this other thread:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.