Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who already have a Renegade and use a portable navigation unit (TomTom, Nuvi, etc), can anyone give me suggestions of a good place to put it or mount it (other than the suction cup to the windshield?)

I haven't bought a Renegade (yet) but one thing is that I use navigation for work, I drive over 30,000 miles for work and in many areas I'm not famaliar with. However, I don't want to pay $1400+ for the in-dash unit, I think that is crazy.

So with portable unites, I have had cars where there was a 'cutout' in the dash below the windshield I put my portable in with something to weigh it down (Renegade doesn't look to have anything like that). In my old Mazda, it actually fit pretty snug into a hole that most people used for cell phones..and didn't slide around much.

So like I asked, is there anywhere on the Renegade people are putting the GPS unit besides on the glass? This is actually one of the top few things that may determine what vehicle we buy next.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you considered just using your mobile phone for navigation?
I haven't used a portable GPS unit for years just because of how much better the software and updates are on my phone.
Plus, even if you don't have great mobile data coverage, there's apps that will let you download map data for free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you considered just using your mobile phone for navigation?
I haven't used a portable GPS unit for years just because of how much better the software and updates are on my phone.
Plus, even if you don't have great mobile data coverage, there's apps that will let you download map data for free.
My wife uses her phone, but I don't really like using the phone. I love having the nav system mounted so I can configure it exactly how I want to (I like having the time to destination, distance to destination, elevation, speed limit, and the ability to easily program waypoints.)

I would be more than happy with an in-dash unit, but I think it is crazy how much Jeep is charging for it. If we got the CX-3, you can buy one of the chips to activate it for about $300 in any CX-3, but it is almost $1500 in the Jeep? I can't see doing that.

Also, it may be a minor thing, but I love being able to take a phone call or make one without having it be on the same unit as the nav. I also turn off the voice guidance, I am someone who uses the nav system visiualy only, with no sound.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My wife uses her phone, but I don't really like using the phone. I love having the nav system mounted so I can configure it exactly how I want to (I like having the time to destination, distance to destination, elevation, speed limit, and the ability to easily program waypoints.)

I would be more than happy with an in-dash unit, but I think it is crazy how much Jeep is charging for it. If we got the CX-3, you can buy one of the chips to activate it for about $300 in any CX-3, but it is almost $1500 in the Jeep? I can't see doing that.

Also, it may be a minor thing, but I love being able to take a phone call or make one without having it be on the same unit as the nav. I also turn off the voice guidance, I am someone who uses the nav system visiualy only, with no sound.
Have you thought about asking your employer to pay toward that? My brother in law was paid by his employer to upgrade to nav in his car.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I haven't received my Renegade yet (built awaiting shipment) but I'm with you in the matter of GPS units. The $$ Jeep wants for the built in unit is excessive in my view and I have a tendency to transfer my GPS between my cars and RV so I like the portable units.

I was thinking of going either with a mount that would sit above the center air vents or possible attaching something to the box that the rearview mirror is attached to. I prefer a location where I can still keep an eye on the road.

Just google Dashboard GPS mount :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I used to have a tomtom satnav unit. I found I could get much better on my smartphone so threw the TomTom away.
The onboard sat nav is another level better.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought a Garmin 2689 refurb unit for $160 on Amazon. The supplied mount on the dash places it too high and was blocking my vision, and the windscreen is too recessed to mount it on the glass. So I bought one of these that positions it just right. I keep it permanently mounted to the dash and I think it looks ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 3597 and I mounted a disk (ebay) on the steering column to give me a flat surface to mount my suction cup. So my gps sits right behind the steering wheel. The gps tells me my speed, what the speed limit is, the street I'm on, and the next street coming up so I have no need to see the speedometer. I used 3m double-sided max strength sticky tape to mount the disk to the steering column.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use a friction mount and place it just left of the center air vents. Amazon ASIN B002OL2MU4

I've used this with other vehicles and it's been great. A couple of weeks ago I had a chance to use it in the Renegade and zero complaints plus it's easily removed if not needed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you don't want to spend the big money go to Walmart buy a 7" tab by galaxy which is google or anyone else and get it added to your data plan. I use my iPad and it's easer to read,but if you drive 30 grand a year your writting your car off on taxes. So declare the gps as work related.

·
Registered
211 Posts
For those who already have a Renegade and use a portable navigation unit (TomTom, Nuvi, etc), can anyone give me suggestions of a good place to put it or mount it (other than the suction cup to the windshield?)

I haven't bought a Renegade (yet) but one thing is that I use navigation for work, I drive over 30,000 miles for work and in many areas I'm not famaliar with. However, I don't want to pay $1400+ for the in-dash unit, I think that is crazy.

So with portable unites, I have had cars where there was a 'cutout' in the dash below the windshield I put my portable in with something to weigh it down (Renegade doesn't look to have anything like that). In my old Mazda, it actually fit pretty snug into a hole that most people used for cell phones..and didn't slide around much.

So like I asked, is there anywhere on the Renegade people are putting the GPS unit besides on the glass? This is actually one of the top few things that may determine what vehicle we buy next.

Thanks.
If you have a smart phone just use that, and get one of these:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Mount-Magnetic-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B00Q3G8LPQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451061057&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=iottie+vent+tap[/ame]

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I went with the proclip so that I didn't lose any visibility.
Thanks for the pics. I just ordered this one after seeing your pics. Dis you run your GPS power wire down through the dash?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I went with the proclip so that I didn't lose any visibility.
Thanks for the pics. I just ordered this one after seeing your pics. Dis you run your GPS power wire down through the dash?
I did. It runs under the HVAC housing into the space behind the head unit. I tapped the cigarette lighter receptacle to add another receptacle behind the dash dedicated to the GPS. Only the small portion of the usb cable you see in the profile shot is exposed. The GPS I use is a tomtom and the dock is powered and magnetic. So popping it in and out is all I need to do. I don't have to plug the USB into the GPS separately.
I was going for clean and stealth install.

·
Registered
580 Posts
In my current car I use a Garmin with a suction mount that is attached to a base I made for my curved dash. I cast the base in black urethane resin (Yes, I fabricate parts as needed) and attached a flat disc for a suction cup mount to it. The mount has been attached with molding tape for 5 years. The mount can be removed without damage to the dash.

There are laws that regulate where you may mount the GPS and how far ir may protrude into the windshield. The way I did it, it's legal in California. The left corner next to the A-pillar is also okay.Attached to the windshield is generally illegal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I suction cup my phone to the "Fly Window" since it doesn't roll down and that keeps it out of my line of sight.
I use an App called Waze. It shows where all the red light cameras and cops are as well as any info on hazards ahead.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did. It runs under the HVAC housing into the space behind the head unit. I tapped the cigarette lighter receptacle to add another receptacle behind the dash dedicated to the GPS. Only the small portion of the usb cable you see in the profile shot is exposed. The GPS I use is a tomtom and the dock is powered and magnetic. So popping it in and out is all I need to do. I don't have to plug the USB into the GPS separately.
I was going for clean and stealth install.
It is definitely clean that way.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 3597 and I mounted a disk (ebay) on the steering column to give me a flat surface to mount my suction cup. So my gps sits right behind the steering wheel. The gps tells me my speed, what the speed limit is, the street I'm on, and the next street coming up so I have no need to see the speedometer. I used 3m double-sided max strength sticky tape to mount the disk to the steering column.

I just re-posted my post and added pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

I just re-posted my post and added pics.
Surely that is not legal. You can't even see the speedo.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Surely that is not legal. You can't even see the speedo.
My gps tells me my speed and what the speed limit is. Plus what road I am on and the next road ahead. It also tells me when I enter a school zone and a whole lot more info. Someday all dashes will have this info. Besides I don't know if it is illegal to drive without a speedometer in the US. If it was I would think the safety inspection would have to check for it and as far as I know they don't.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.