Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering with push to start you get a key fob. So do you get a 2nd key fob? Is there a key or extra fob to use for like valet parking? Just wondering. Is there a way to use a key if the start button doesn't work?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just wondering with push to start you get a key fob. So do you get a 2nd key fob? Is there a key or extra fob to use for like valet parking? Just wondering. Is there a way to use a key if the start button doesn't work?
You do get 2 key fobs so you have one to use for valet or a spare or whatever. I believe I read in the manual that there is supposed to be a way to start the car if the key fob dies. I'd have to go back & check for specifics.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
There's an emergency key inside the fob that will get you into the car if the push button isn't working.

·
Registered
454 Posts
No there is no place to insert the key. But from what I have read, as long as you have it inside the cab, the push button start will work. I wondered the same with mine but after reading that I felt better about not being stranded.

·
Registered
216 Posts
pages 32-42 of owners manual talk about FOBs, hidden key and how to start push-button start vehicle if FOB batt is dead.

this info below is from page 42:

NOTE: If the ignition switch does not change with the

push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may

have a low or dead battery. In this situation, a back up

method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put

the nose side (side opposite of the emergency key) of the

Key Fob against the ENGINE START/STOP button and

push to operate the ignition switch.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What 1SG Bowden describes is pretty standard for push start vehicles - if the battery in the fob dies, the backup is to physically place the fob up to the push start button and then push it to start. Basically, there's some kind of sensor that detects a chip (RFID?) inside of the fob when in close proximity.

Another less popular method is a place in the console where the fob jacks into that enables the push start button. Haven't seen those in a while. The past three vehicles I've owned with push start all used the proximity sensor for a backup method.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The dealership told me to remove the key from the fob and press the tip of the key to your button and that will start your car if the battery dies in the fob.
They showed me and it works
I just tried this on my TH. I took the emergency key out and left the fob in the house. I opened the door with the key and then tried to start it by pressing the key to the start button (tried both ends). No dice. The manual states that you use the opposite end of the fob from the emergency key. Being that my fob is working I'm unable to test this. I guess you could take the battery out of the fob and test.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I believe you- I just don't understand how that works if the battery in the fob is dead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's "near-field" communication... RFID (Radio Frequency ID).. When you press the tip to the start button a radio signal is sent from the button. This activates a RFID chip in the tip of the fob triggering it to send it's data (the fob ID in this case). The fob actually get's the power to send the information back from the energy of the button's radio signal.
Normally the fob can broadcast it's ID at full power, but if the battery is weak or dead, this method can be used so you're not stranded.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
When held in close proximity, the electric field in the ignition will excite the coil in the dead fob. This will provide just enough power to the fob to transfer the key information that it is a valid fob allowing the car to start. The fob has to be in very close proximity to the start button for this to work.

If the cars' battery is dead too, then the above won't work. But then your car won't start anyway (unless you jump start the car). ;)

Reactions: Phreddyl

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
931 Posts
I just tried this on my TH. I took the emergency key out and left the fob in the house. I opened the door with the key and then tried to start it by pressing the key to the start button (tried both ends). No dice. The manual states that you use the opposite end of the fob from the emergency key. Being that my fob is working I'm unable to test this. I guess you could take the battery out of the fob and test.
The "magic" transmitter is not in the emergency key. It is in the body of the fob. Yes, taking the battery out of the fob is the way to test this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The dealership told me to remove the key from the fob and press the tip of the key to your button and that will start your car if the battery dies in the fob.
They showed me and it works
I believe you- I just don't understand how that works if the battery in the fob is dead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was told that the chip is in the key not the fob, that's why I think it works

·
Registered
261 Posts
Reactions: txjeeper35
1 - 20 of 21 Posts