Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM NOT ADVOCATING ANYONE TRY THIS!

I have one of those questions that seems to work in my head, but I'm hoping that a forum will have EXPERIENCED people that know if this is really that good of an idea.

Scenario:

I am out having a good time in my TrailHawk. In 4WD I seem to be stuck. I have my tow strap and an anchor point behind me (tree). I hook my tow strap to my rear tow hook go around the tree and place the strap under the rear tire. I place the vehicle in reverse. This pulls the tow strap under the rear wheel. I wrap the tow strap around the rear wheel and go into reverse, in 4 Lo.

The BASIC physics says I should end up pulling on the strap and back myself out of the situation. However, I know I don't have a locking rear diff, so I'd be relying on the traction control to figure out what I'm doing.

I'm also worried about the stress of pulling on one side of the rear axle/wheel. I don't imagine it was engineered for this.

Is this one of those sounds good but doesn't work in reality situations, or is this a viable exit strategy following the low and slow mantra? Any other self rescue strategies that people have come up with?

· Registered
370 Posts
Get a wench for the front of the car and another one to plug into the back hitch of your car. I have seen them both used to get a car unstuck. Costly? You betcha. But well worth it. Best to have one for ether end if needed. While your scenario may prove fatal, or at least very costly if you damage your Renny.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
The strap around the wheel won't likely work.

If you know you're going into deep stuff, carry a come-a-long winch. A cheaper alternative. It will work better if you have a helper to winch while you drive, but it is possible to do it yourself.

· Registered
14 Posts
Pulling an Un-Manned TH Out of Mud?

'Self Rescue' is certainly the right place for this question... hopefully someone can help.
Two days ago I got my '15 TH stuck in a mud hole. The undercarriage (skid plates) of the car were resting on the mud and all 4 wheels were spinning freely. My place is a woodlot so there are abundant pull-points (i.e. trees)... I was alone so I tried to use logging chains and a come-along to pull the car out of the hole.

I had read in the Owner's Manual in the Emergency section about the care that needed to be taken in towing/moving a disabled vehicle - and the damage to a 4wd vehicle if is not done correctly. After hooking up the chains and the come-along I started the car and put it into Neutral. When I opened the door the screen flashed red and warned the vehicle was in neutral. I'm not 100% sure but I think it even activated the electric brake.

In the end I was so psyched-out by what I'd read in the O's/M and having the car react when I tried to exit the vehicle with it in neutral, I decided not to chance it and I disconnected the chains and come-along.

My Orange2015TH spent the night in the mud and the next morning I called a friend to come and pull me out.

My obvious question then is this: What is the correct engine/transmission/brake combination that will allow an un-manned TH to be pulled or winched?

· Premium Member
3,154 Posts
To release electric parking brake, you either need to press the brake pedal, if stationary or select first gear (stick shift) and drive off. I drove an auto Renegade earlier and I had foot on brake, selected drive and still with foot on brake pedal I was then able to release electric parking brake and then pull away.

· Registered
14 Posts
Guessing - I'll try tomorrow - I would leave door window open, and with door closed through window release the brake.
Hi Morning Moon,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that tomorrow as well. I'm skeptical as to whether that would work, but you never know. I'm not above using a 'back-door' if it works and nothing else does, but I'm hoping to find a more 'Jeep-approved' method of pulling an un-manned TH.
BTW, your English is OK - I understand exactly what you mean. Thanks.

· Registered
14 Posts
To release electric parking brake, you either need to press the brake pedal, if stationary or select first gear (stick shift) and drive off. I drove an auto Renegade earlier and I had foot on brake, selected drive and still with foot on brake pedal I was then able to release electric parking brake and then pull away.
Right, I see what you mean... if you have to have your foot on the brake to release the electric parking brake, reaching through the window to release the parking brake isn't going to work.

· Registered
285 Posts
Hi Morning Moon,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that tomorrow as well. I'm skeptical as to whether that would work, but you never know. I'm not above using a 'back-door' if it works and nothing else does, but I'm hoping to find a more 'Jeep-approved' method of pulling an un-manned TH.
BTW, your English is OK - I understand exactly what you mean. Thanks.
On the Uconnect settings screen, under "Saftey & Assistance" you can enable "mantenance brakes". I've not tried this myself, but from what i understand this disables the electric parking brake so maintenance can be performed. This may also help let you pull the vehicle while it's in neutral. Again, I've not tried it, but thought I'd mention it. :)

· Registered
14 Posts
On the Uconnect settings screen, under "Saftey & Assistance" you can enable "mantenance brakes". I've not tried this myself, but from what i understand this disables the electric parking brake so maintenance can be performed. This may also help let you pull the vehicle while it's in neutral. Again, I've not tried it, but thought I'd mention it. :)
Logan5, thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware of that feature, but I did locate it in my Owner's Manual. Tomorrow I'll look for it on the screen and see if might help with this situation. Will let you know. Thanks.

· Registered
140 Posts
Other than a winch, I would think the best option would be a come-a-long. The vehicle should be in neutral, with the parking brake off. Now how you go about that i'm not sure. I have opened the drivers door with my TrailHawk in drive, and the parking brake didn't automatically apply. Im not sure if its because my foot was still on the brake pedal, or because the seat sensor knew my weight was still in it.

· Registered
236 Posts
Can anybody recommend a come-a-long that will pull a Rene?
I'm paranoid about getting stuck.
Ireland is mostly mud and trees.
Also I read a bit in the manual about not towing or you'll destroy everything.!
How does this square with towing outa mud hole?

· Premium Member
3,154 Posts
This is why it's always better to go on the beaten track in two or three vehicles at the least. That way if someone gets stuck, you have someone on hand to help.

· Registered
129 Posts
You can't put the transmission and transfer case in N like a standard 4wd and tow behind an RV or something at 85mph on the highway... But you can put it in N and tow/pull out of mud. No damage, its no different than going through a carwash on a track...which I do a couple times a week

· Registered
14 Posts
OK, Here's what's been suggested/investigated/tested so far:

If you disregard the warning on the screen and exit the car while it's in Neutral, the car turns on the electric parking brake!

MORNING MOON suggested reaching through the open window to turn off the electric parking brake (EPB) with the car in Neutral. Tried it: the car won't let you turn off the EPB without pressing the brake.
LOGAN5 suggested a modifiable item in the Uconnect under 'Safety and Assistance' called 'Maintenance Brake'. While I was able to find that reference in my owners manual on pg. 215, when I accessed the Uconnect in my car (2015, Canadian, automatic, TH), the only item under 'Safety and Assistance' was 'Buzzer Volume' (no 'Maintenance Brake'). Maybe that feature comes with the highest trim level ('Limited')?
ERKMADHATTER suggested a portable winch ($$$?)... I don't know much about these winches, but in a 'Self Rescue', the control unit for the winch would have to be inside the car with the driver. ERK, your clarification regarding pulling a 4WD (short distance/low speed i.e. out of a ditch/hole) without causing damage to the system is extremely helpful. Your analogy to pulling a car through a carwash however, misses the mark.... I assume you're sitting in your car when it goes through the carwash - in a self rescue, you're going to be outside the car pulling it with a come-along or a winch.

How about this system-fudge: Put the car in Neutral, put a cinder block on the driver's seat to simulate the driver's weight, hold the brake pedal down with a stick, and use another stick to turn off the electric brake?

· Registered
285 Posts
OK, Here's what's been suggested/investigated/tested so far:
I've confirmed that you can disable the parking brake for maintenance (or towing).
See screenshots.
You have to start with the brake OFF in order to activate the service mode.
One in service mode I put it in neutral and shut the door and I could move my Jeep by pushing it.
Once done just put your foot on the brake and pull up on the brake lever. It takes a second for it to re-initialize. Worked Great!

Attachments

· Registered
140 Posts
FWIW the car washes in my area that pull the vehicle through on tracks are usually Unoccupied, so there is no one in the vehicle at the time.

Oops, that was in response to Ren2015. I didn't get the quote posted in here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.